Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311152 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1050 on: January 01, 2010, 07:30:31 AM »
I'll gain 50lbs if I get a book discount for it!!!! (Funny thing is I was 29% body fat for years but I've been a scrawny bastard for the last 4 years... though i had muscle for 1 of those four so not totally scrawny... now though when i bend right or left my ribs show so I'm scrawny again!!!!)

P.S. I did not use Jenny Creg
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1051 on: January 04, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
I tried to read The Storm Caller over the holiday break, but bailed on it after 10%.  Decent writing, horrible use of info dumps, but the thing that really killed it for me was all of the head-jumping.  This person, and then this one, and then that one...freak!  I just couldn't deal with it.  Though BSG has said the ending is superb, I just couldn't make myself slog through it to get to the end.  So, I'll probably give the guy another chance after he's written a few more books.  Hoping that he gets better.  Makes me wonder how much reading in the Fantasy genre the guy does though, because I haven't read very many recent books that let the POV-switch fly.  Anyhow.

About halfway through Deadhouse Gates and really liking it.  Got another friend of mine hooked on it over the break as well.

And got lots of Amazon love for Christmas.  So, I bought:
  1)  Darker Angels  (MLN Hanover aka Daniel Abraham, Urban Fantasy, if you read urban, READ THIS SERIES!  Awesome)
  2)  Neuropath (Scott Bakker's psychopathic thriller, excited to say the least)
  3)  Belly of the Bow (KJ Parker Fencer series, love the author, and for $4?)
  4)  Twelve (Jasper Kent, on Kindle as this one is yet to be released in the US)

Excited to read them all.  :)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 04, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
I finished reading The Maze Runner. It was enjoyable. Fast-paced.

I am now reading Island in the Sea of Time by S.M. Stirling. I'm a big fan of the 1632 series, and this is basically the same premise (but it came out before 1632). However, the bad guys are nastier. I think the characters in 1632 are more compelling, though not much so. What really makes 1632 shine is the collaborative effort that built up behind it. Nothing like that happened for Island in the Sea of Time. Anyway, in this book the entire island of Nantucket is cast back in time from 1998 to the year 1250 or so B.C.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 04, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
Just bought Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin and Starship Troopers by Robert Anson Heinlein
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 05, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Recently went out to buy Memories of Ice, the third Malazan book, and they did not have it in. So, I browsed around a little bit and decided to pick up the first book in Cooks Black Company series. Or so I thought. I somehow managed to, accidentally, buy The Return of the Black Company. >:(

I started to read it and something just didn't seem right. So, I checked the inside cover page to see the order the books were written in and saw, as I had thought, "The Black Company" was listed as book 1. Upon acknowledging that I had indeed bought the right book I flipped it over, just in case, and finally realized that it was The Return of the Black Company. Son of a......
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Slamel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #1055 on: January 05, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »
I tried to read The Storm Caller over the holiday break, but bailed on it after 10%.  Decent writing, horrible use of info dumps, but the thing that really killed it for me was all of the head-jumping.  This person, and then this one, and then that one...freak!  I just couldn't deal with it.  Though BSG has said the ending is superb, I just couldn't make myself slog through it to get to the end.  So, I'll probably give the guy another chance after he's written a few more books.  Hoping that he gets better.  Makes me wonder how much reading in the Fantasy genre the guy does though, because I haven't read very many recent books that let the POV-switch fly.  Anyhow.

About halfway through Deadhouse Gates and really liking it.  Got another friend of mine hooked on it over the break as well.

And got lots of Amazon love for Christmas.  So, I bought:
  1)  Darker Angels  (MLN Hanover aka Daniel Abraham, Urban Fantasy, if you read urban, READ THIS SERIES!  Awesome)
  2)  Neuropath (Scott Bakker's psychopathic thriller, excited to say the least)
  3)  Belly of the Bow (KJ Parker Fencer series, love the author, and for $4?)
  4)  Twelve (Jasper Kent, on Kindle as this one is yet to be released in the US)

Excited to read them all.  :)

Im posting the Neuropath review later this week.  Its an interesting book.  Sad to see you didn't enjoy Stormcaller, its a rad book, and each book in the series has been getting better and better.  KJ Parker? Really?  Blegh...  That was me throwing up on you.

Slamel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #1056 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Recently went out to buy Memories of Ice, the third Malazan book, and they did not have it in. So, I browsed around a little bit and decided to pick up the first book in Cooks Black Company series. Or so I thought. I somehow managed to, accidentally, buy The Return of the Black Company. >:(

I started to read it and something just didn't seem right. So, I checked the inside cover page to see the order the books were written in and saw, as I had thought, "The Black Company" was listed as book 1. Upon acknowledging that I had indeed bought the right book I flipped it over, just in case, and finally realized that it was The Return of the Black Company. Son of a......

Yeah.. Croaker makes the series, by the time he exits stage left I was hooked and willing to deal with the new PoV.  Starting without Croaker is like eating mashed potatoes and gravy...without mashed potatoes.  Or gravy.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1057 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »
Sad to see you didn't enjoy Stormcaller, its a rad book, and each book in the series has been getting better and better.

I figure I'll hit his next series.  I just couldn't do this one, and I'm really not all that into skipping the first book of a series.

KJ Parker? Really?  Blegh...  That was me throwing up on you.

Yeah, I know.  You and Steve can hate on her all you want.  I still love her stuff.  The Folding Knife!  TBR Feb 22nd!!!

Still, your poor opinions in this case don't diminish my opinions of either of you.   8)  Rock on ElitistBookReviews!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 06, 2010, 04:19:22 AM »
So Dawnthief lacked in originality but the execution was indeed awesome!!!
Now, I need to start a book and I cant decide which one!
a.) Starship Troopers
b.) Old Man's War
c.) Left Hand of Darkness
d.) A Fortress in Shadow
e.) go back to reading the slow starter The Songs of Distant Earth
f.) Red Mars

P.S. I just don't get the hype around Arthur C. Clarke....

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #1059 on: January 06, 2010, 04:59:11 AM »
Went to Powell's Books in Portland and managed to grab a signed paperback of Elantris and Mistborn. Also, I got The Mote in God's Eye, Stranger in a Strange Land, and A Shadow in Summer. Very exciting.

Now I officially have too many books on my reading list... sigh.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 06, 2010, 05:12:45 AM »
Mote in God's Eye and Stranger in a Strange Land FTW!

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 06, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »
After the bookstore mishap I decided to switch gears and started reading Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker. Never read any of his stuff and it was sitting there on one of my bookshelves and decided to give it try. I'm pretty impressed so far.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
I'm dying, just dying. I usually read a book or two a week, but I've been reading the same two books for a month. Something is wrong with me! I may go cry now.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1063 on: January 06, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »
Also, I got ... A Shadow in Summer. Very exciting.

Shadow in Summer!  Long Price quartet is easily on the top of my "best reads" pile.  LOVE Daniel Abraham.  Shadow in Summer was good, but didn't have the "wow factor" for me that the other three in the series did.  Still, enjoy!

After the bookstore mishap I decided to switch gears and started reading Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker. Never read any of his stuff and it was sitting there on one of my bookshelves and decided to give it try. I'm pretty impressed so far.

I thought Mr. B. Gone was fairly interesting.  Barker's obviously a good writer.  Can't say that the whole horror aspect of the book worked for me though.  Still, it gave me a great jump point for a short short story of my own.  So, I can't say too much bad about it.  :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #1064 on: January 07, 2010, 03:22:00 AM »
Also, I got ... A Shadow in Summer. Very exciting.

Shadow in Summer!  Long Price quartet is easily on the top of my "best reads" pile.  LOVE Daniel Abraham.  Shadow in Summer was good, but didn't have the "wow factor" for me that the other three in the series did.  Still, enjoy!

I actually bought it specifically because I remembered how much you liked it in this topic. I'll be sure to give it two books, and by then I'm sure I'll love it, too.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.