Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311300 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #945 on: October 11, 2009, 05:42:50 AM »
American Gods is pretty good (on page 220ish) but decided i'm just not in the mood for it so i went and bought Chornicles of the Black Company..... darn you Steve you got me on this dark fantsy kick where i can't even read Hienlien whom I love!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 11, 2009, 06:41:25 AM »
Hello guys I am about to finish the farseer trilogy so what should i read next the fools trilogy??? i have the first book already but i also saw that Robin Hobb wrote another trilogy b4 that one... but i dont know if its connected with Fitz which i want to see till the end.... i'll wait for comments.
You can read the first Fool book before reading any of the Liveship books, but you should read all the Liveship books before reading the 2nd Fool book. Fitz does not appear in the Liveship books, but someone else does and the trilogy is very important in the overall plot.

I personally think the Liveship books are her best work.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #947 on: October 12, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »
I'm reliving a forgotten moment of my childhood.  I'm reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Suddenly I have this strong urge to buy a chocolate bar.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 12, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
I'm reading Unseen Academicals. I really enjoy Pratchett.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #949 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »
I'm jealous. I ordered a copy but my local bookstore hasn't gotten it in yet.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #950 on: October 12, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
WriterDan-- I was bored to death with Tigana after the switch in PoV. One of the few books I put down without finishing.

Well, there goes another one.  You were totally right about the story after the POV change.  I got through the end of that section by flipping forward and realizing that I only had 80 pages until he got back to the original POV character.  But even after that, he kept on talking about what HAD happened, and filling in the history of the story and why it might or might not be important.  The dude can write, but man, there's pretty much nothing interesting about a story told that way.  Felt like a history book.  And what with the story being about the destruction of a country...well, I just couldn't deal with it anymore.  Can't say that this is one of the few that I've put down though.  I've put down lots.  :D

So, I'm reading this book called Transformation by  Carol Berg.  I don't have very high hopes for it though after reading Steve's review of Flesh and Spirit.  I moved it up to the top of my TBR list because there's a girl on Shelfari in the Fantasy Book Group that I moderate that said she thought the men in this book were the epitome of those she likes to read about in fantasy settings.  So, I'm off and running.  At least she writes well.

Alastair Reynolds will just have to wait.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
I finished up John Brown's SERVANT OF A DARK GOD, and we got a review of it up on EBR. I think the main problem people will have with it is that the beginning makes you think "Oh crud, another traditional epic fantasy. Here comes the epic quest." What's awesome is that after several chapters he kinda slaps you and says "don't be silly, no epic quest in this epic fantasy." It was SOOOO refreshing.

I just responded to Kaz on the blog about Epic Fantasy. For whatever reason, people seem to thin that Epic Fantasy MUST have an Epic Quest. I find this to be a common misconception. The term "Epic" has nothing to do with travel.  Epic is a definition of great achievements or events that are narrated in elevated style. This can be done in a focused setting. How about we let the bad guys do the traveling for once? Good heavens. Once you get past the intro to SERVANT, things become crazy interesting. The second book (out next year i imagine) will be a siege (of sorts) of "Epic" proportions. 

Epic Fantasy needs less traveling, and more focus.

WriterDan--Look at that! How awesome was that call? Though, really, I'm a bit sad that I'm right. For a long time I thought it was just me since everyone RAVES about TIGANA. I was gonna give it another shot, but I'm glad I didn't succumb.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:17:22 PM by Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

haperez

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 13, 2009, 01:04:37 AM »
cool then i will continue with those never thought those books were connected.

Hello guys I am about to finish the farseer trilogy so what should i read next the fools trilogy??? i have the first book already but i also saw that Robin Hobb wrote another trilogy b4 that one... but i dont know if its connected with Fitz which i want to see till the end.... i'll wait for comments.
You can read the first Fool book before reading any of the Liveship books, but you should read all the Liveship books before reading the 2nd Fool book. Fitz does not appear in the Liveship books, but someone else does and the trilogy is very important in the overall plot.

I personally think the Liveship books are her best work.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 16, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »
I tried Robin Hobb once, but I stopped because I kept wanting to throw the book against the wall.  I don't like books where I actually want to enter the story and kill characters myself.  Just no good.

Now I'm reading Alcatraz versus the Knights of Crystallia and next I'm going to read The Hollow Kingdom.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #954 on: October 16, 2009, 05:00:42 AM »
Trying to find a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo to re-read. I'm writing a research paper on it for my english class, and I I need to get it fresh in my mind...All the school's English copies are checked out. And I don't know French. Blast.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #955 on: October 20, 2009, 06:43:53 AM »
Time to learn!  C'est bon pour la sainté!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 21, 2009, 10:48:30 PM »
Finished the most recent Dexter novel.  This series has gone down-hill.  Stick with show.  It has surpassed the novels.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #957 on: October 22, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »
Finished the most recent Dexter novel.  This series has gone down-hill.  Stick with show.  It has surpassed the novels.

Dang, that's not something you hear very often! But I must say, I am loving the show, so no complaints here.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 22, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »
I'm reading The Shining Court by Michelle West. I love her, but sometimes it is hard remembering who all her characters are from book to book. I wish I had a photographic memory.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #959 on: October 26, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »
So Transformation was incredibly boring.  I finished it though, as I felt obligated to after saying that I'd give my opinion of the characters in it.  And, I mean, the characters were all right, but the story was just boring and really quite simplistic.  Grumble.  Finishing that one did give me confidence in my ability to choose to put a book down though.  If I hadn't been stuck with reading it, I would have dropped it after about 50 pages.  So, in that sense, it was a good experience.

Reading House of Suns now by Alastair Reynolds.  And whoa, it's cool.  Great writing, seems to be character oriented so far, and very interesting.  Then again, I'm only going to be reading it for another 12 hours or so, cause that's when I'll be getting my copy of The Gathering Storm, which will definitely take precedence.  :)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.