Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 350741 times)

Slamel

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #870 on: August 20, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »
Between this and the post about cuddling, people are going to start thinking your wife has something to worry about.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 20, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
Not to mention Dan saying he had "dibs." lol!

It's ok, my wife will just go over and gymnastics-kick you in the head when she decides it's worth her while. She beats me sometimes.

I saw Goodkind's new novel at Costco yesterday and wondered if anyone would care if I set the area on fire.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #872 on: August 20, 2009, 09:10:10 PM »
My wife told me that my copy of I Am Not A Serial Killer arrived in the mail today all the way from jolly old England.

Two more hours, and I get to go home and read it   :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) :P
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #873 on: August 20, 2009, 10:21:03 PM »
I saw Goodkind's new novel at Costco yesterday and wondered if anyone would care if I set the area on fire.

A wood-chipper would be much more fun and lots more dramatic.  Can I come?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:23:47 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #874 on: August 20, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »
You forget the rule. Don't talk about *censored*. Can we really have Goodkind as a censored word on the forum? Like, we type "Goodkind", and our post says "puppies", or something. Please?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 21, 2009, 02:30:50 AM »
That would be truly amazing. It opens up all sorts of possibilities for fun new sentences about *censored as well.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 21, 2009, 06:31:27 AM »
I just finished Haze and Imager by L.E. Moddesitt.  The cover and blurb for Haze interested me, unfortunately the book just didn't live up to either.  It is very annoying when 2 or 3 times in the first 20 pages I find editing errors so bad that I couldn't even understand the sentence.  What is worse is that I'm not all that good at grammar and the like, and they were so obvious that I actually had to reread them 5 or 6 times before giving up and moving on.

Imager was much better, no editing errors that jumped out at me, and a story that actually lived up to my expectations.  I was even surprised by a few, not many, of the plot twists.  It was a decent fantasy story that hints at being a pretty good series (it is the 1st book in an announced series).
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #877 on: August 21, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
Finished I Am Not A Serial Killer in one sitting... more or less.  My wife and I were at a church social thing, and I skipped out to read in the foyer, so I was interrupted frequently and had to drive a little, but other than that, I powered through the book.  Actually, it was more like I was 100% addicted.  It was awesome.  If you haven't read it, I can give the website address in England where you can buy it and have it shipped directly to you.  Shipping is free.  The book cost $10.00 and it is very, very much worth it.  It won't come out in the states until March I think, so England is the only way to go if you want it before then.

As for the book, well, I already gushed a little, but seriously, it's the best book I've read since... wow.  Having a hard time thinking of the last book that was good.  I think it even beat out Hero of Ages imho, but that's probably the last book I read of comparable quality.  You should own it already.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 21, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
I'm in SLC.  I am gentle on borrowed books, and like long walks on the beach...with Slamel.

I'm in North Salt Lake, so that shouldn't be a problem.  I'm going to Fell's house tonight, if you're on the way. I actually have no idea how to set this up. Should I email you?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 21, 2009, 05:14:13 PM »
Actually, I'm going to Fell's tomorrow, so no sense in you getting off the freeway. Can you leave it with him? Also pm me your actual name so we can personally thank you in our review of the novel...seeing as I have no idea if we have met or not.

you are full of awesome.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 21, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »
Just finished Night of Knives by Ian Cameron Esselmont. This is the one set in the same world as Malazan book of the Fallen. I wasn't really sure what to expect, reading about Malazan characters written by a different author, but I ended up liking it just as well as I did the Malazan books. So I'll be picking up Return of the Crimson Guard and reading that one next, and then maybe I'll give Best Served Cold a chance. Hoping I'll like it better than I did First Law.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 21, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »
They actually did some co-writing on Gardens of the Moon, and it was a completely shared world when they created it, so there shouldnt be too many jarring differences. Also, most people consider Return of the Crimson Guard to be as of an equal or better than most of the Erikson novels--i think it takes place after book 6 or 7 of the Erikson side of the series. You'll prolly need to import it.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 21, 2009, 09:32:26 PM »
It supposedly takes place after Bonehunters. I'm currently looking at the cost of importing both it and Dust of Dreams. Depending on how much it costs, I may wait until January, but I don't think I have that kind of patience.

After Night of Knives, I wasn't particularly worried about the quality of Return of the Crimson Guard, but now I'm just excited.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48:56 PM »
Since Sigyn was kind enough to lend it to me, I'm reading Un Lun Dun. It's very Alice in Wonderland so far. And it has interior illustrations, which for me is a reason to cheer.

I also am reading the newest Robin Hobb. Comes out in January in the US.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 25, 2009, 05:57:59 PM »
Dreams of Steel by Glen Cook. If you haven't read him, go get the Black Company. Amazing stories, totally different from anything you've ever read. I promise you'll enjoy it :)
oh and The Dragon Reborn :P
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."