Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311165 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #795 on: July 03, 2009, 04:39:29 AM »
They have recently put out Dragonlance books for the middle grade age, 8-13, and my 10 yr old loves them. I don't care much for the adult versions, but these have gotten him away from Captain Underpants so I am happy they are available.

I have started reading the Alera Codex books by Jim Butcher. I have had to fight my husband for the books so I've only read the first one, but I like them so far.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 03, 2009, 05:28:29 AM »
I finished bonehunters and am starting Reapers Gale
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 07, 2009, 12:44:30 AM »
Finished the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series and have just started Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #798 on: July 07, 2009, 05:19:38 AM »
Finished the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series---

What'd you think of that series?  I've had a few people suggest them to me, but haven't been much for YA stuff.  So, I'm wondering in general what you thought of it as a fantasy book, and also how it stacks up specifically within the YA genre.

lol!  Maybe you should just write a full review and submit it to Nessa while you're at it.  :)  Boy, I'm not demanding or anything, am I?  Really not looking for anything special.  Just your thoughts.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 07, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »
I've only read the first Percy Jackson, but I really enjoyed it. It is definitely great YA and pretty great fantasy to boot.

I just read Patternmaster by Octavia Butler. I felt like she had "good" characters do "bad" things without really addressing the issue. Has anyone else read her? Are her other books this way?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 07, 2009, 11:32:21 PM »
It's definitely, without-a-doubt, 100% YA. IMO, obviously aimed towards a child audience. However, I still think it is very worthwhile to read it. Riordan works with internal feelings, conflict between characters, and humankind's faults as a whole to make a believable, mind-capturing tale. AND the books are really, really funny, (but I didn't feel that the humor detracted from the stories at all). It's one of my all-time favorite series.

Make sure you read them in order, though. Much better that way.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #801 on: July 08, 2009, 10:00:59 PM »
But but But.  Captain underpants is Kewl!

Just finished the King's Buccaneer and am taking a hiatus from Feist to reread the Laumer books in the World Shuffler series.  60's pulp SciFi at it's best.

I do wish Feist had not been afraid of introducing renaissance technology the way Jordan did.  That is just one of the major improvements.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 10, 2009, 06:03:34 AM »
I loved Captain Underpants when it was brand new i was like 6 or 7 for the first one and got it at the book fair... in the third one on the name list my name converts to Gidget something-lover (i like the flip scenes)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #803 on: July 14, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »
Finished The Steel Remains.  Not my favorite.  Well, actually, not really even close.  Doubt I'll read the next one in the series.

Started You Don't Have to be Evil to Work Here, but It Helps by Tom Holt.  Pretty funny so far, but a bit too much real-world solidity for me to really like it up front.

Going to be reading Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman next.  Well, probably.  Quite looking forward to finally getting to this one.  Still, I might end up getting The Price of Spring (Abraham) and Purple & Black (Parker) before finishing it, both of which will take precedence.  Can't help myself in these cases.  They'd probably take the pie (or proverbial cake, if you must) over just about any other book that I could be reading at the time.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 14, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »
Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. Loved both.

Prior to that, I read the First Law series by Joe Abercrombie - not so much. I can't really tell you why, but I just didn't like the books.

I'm thinking next thing I'll do will be a re-read of WoT. Haven't done one for a while, and I want to be able to remember the characters for The Gathering Storm.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Bururian

• Level 1
  • Ow, my brain.
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #805 on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:21 AM »
Currently doing a re-read of Winter's Heart, by Robert Jordan, since I got behind on it while reading the Night Angel Trilogy. Also reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and just starting up Rules of Ascension, by David Coe. Wish I had some more Brandon Sanderson to read now.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 16, 2009, 03:24:48 PM »
I'm reading The Soldiers of Halla, the tenth (and final) installment in the Pendragon series. Not bad so far.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #807 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »
I finished "Dream Thief" (Lawhead). I don't mind a little deus ex machina every now and then, but the main characters hardly did anything in this book. Shallow characterization and motivations, poorly explained plot, absolutely stupid romance, etc. Would not recommend to anyone.

"Memory" by Bujold was all that I've come to expect of her novels. I'll really have to try some of her non-Vorkosigan novels.

"Pawn of Prophecy" by Eddings left me ambivalent. It was very formulaic and often silly, but I'm curious enough about where the series goes because of what my brothers have said about it. I'm partially intrigued by the transparency of the plot. I'll finish off the series, as it's pretty short. If I don't bash my skull to pieces because of the stupidity of the characters first.

My sister is obsessed with Mercedes Lackey, but I never succumbed to her pleas to try Lackey out. I decided that a nice collabo-novel would be a safe spot to test the waters. I was wrong. "This Rough Magic" (Lackey, Flint, Freer) wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. My sister said that Lackey's collaboration projects are always super weird. She's going to help me pick a better sample.

Brandon Sanderson didn't disappoint with "Warbreaker". I had read some on his site a few months back, but reading an entire novel on a screen didn't sound like an enjoyable experience. That kid always pulls out some sweet magic. I was kinda disappointed by the wimpiness of BioChromatic Breath, but Vasher's encore pulled me around. On another topic, and without going too deep into spoiler territory, WTF incest? I don't care how many generations separate you. It's still creepy, curtain couple. The book was still awesome, though. Eh plus plus.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

FantasyAngel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 17, 2009, 01:22:08 AM »
Just finished The Name of the Wind and about to start on Gardens of the moon.
In a world gone mad escape into fantasy.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 17, 2009, 03:43:32 AM »
I LOVEEE TNotW. Amazing book. Props for reading it.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.