Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311138 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #705 on: May 14, 2009, 04:38:14 PM »
It's mostly for humor's sake, though no one who lives in the house is actually normal.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #706 on: May 19, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »
I recently finished "I Am Not a Serial Killer" by our very own Fellfrosch. I loved it, and heartily recommend it to anyone who can handle the mortuary scenes. :)

Another recent read was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Phillip K. Dick. It was very good as well, though I thought that it got a bit preachy at points. Despite minor annoyances, I would still rate it as one of the best books I've ever read.

I've just started "Dune" by Frank Herbert. We will see how I like it. So far it seems a little cliched, but well written. Maybe it wasn't cliched when it was released, as the case is with LotR. I don't know my SF history very well. :P
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 19, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »
I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER is awesome. Definitely not for everyone, but im a little twisted, so I thought it was great!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #708 on: May 19, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »
 I just ordered Serial Killer via UK post.  Guessing it'll take near three months to get to me, but it's coming.  :)  Looking forward to finally reading it after hearing all the hype.

Finished Havemercy.  Very little plot at all in that book.  I'm a little frustrated with it for being so well-written.

Reading Lord of the Flies for the first time.  Yeah, I know.  It's interesting so far.

I've also just started The Orphan's Tales:  In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente.  I really like it so far.  This is the first book that I'm reading on my new Kindle.  Still kind of paranoid that I'm going to drop it, so I'm only reading this book at home until my cover/case comes in the mail next week.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:17 AM »
Serial Killer only took seven business days to get to me, and I'm in Remoteville, USA. The Book Depository sent it airmail. :D Lord of the Flies = meh. I am jealous about the Kindle. Send me one, please.
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 20, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
I finished Gardens of the Moon and am currently reading Deadhouse Gates and while it is a marvelous read i don't understand why Bookstore Guy thinks it's complexity blows the top off of WoT.... i like the books so far but i enjoyed Eye of the World much more (possibly my favorite WoT book) i expected from his praise for it to knock me on my bum... but i would still recommend the book to anyone who likes epic fantasy
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 20, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
i said the series is much more complex and entertaining (imo) than WoT - though i do also happen to feel like much more happens in single books (excluding #1) in the Erikson series than most other authors have happen in their entire series. and Eye of the World, imo, isnt complex at all - it was enjoyable, but not complex (very straight-forward really). i also said Gardens of the Moon is the weakest of all of them. most people (myself included) find books 2 and 3 to be where the series really grows and becomes awesomazing (yes, i made that word up).

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 20, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »
I'm 200 pages into Deadhouse gates... and Shadwthrone's and Cottilton's identities are intriguing.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 20, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
the ending to books 2 and 3 are what made me say, "holy crap...this is awesome..." actually my fav. characters are in book 2 - Mappo and Icarium. awesome character dynamic - especially when you learn more about them in later books.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #714 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
Dang you for being so persistent about this BookstoreGuy!  :D

If I have to listen to you rave about the Malazan books for much longer I might just have to give them another chance.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #715 on: May 20, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
The only thing that bugged me was the concept of Warrens.  It looked too much like consuming an entire universe AND the mind of it's creator as a power source.  Just didn't like it.

On the other hand he handles setting and character well.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 21, 2009, 06:17:32 AM »
I finished "Dune" this evening. It was good at parts, but unfortunately my overall impression in the last chapter went from respectful enjoyment of a classic (if a bit annoyed at points) to super-meh. I don't know what happened. I'll read the last few chapters again tomorrow and see what happened. Maybe I've just been told too much how awesome the book is. My brother says that I need to read the series before passing judgment.

I'll put those books you guys are talking about in the list for the next trip to the library. Right now, I've got a Bujold compilation and Hickman novel sitting on the table for me.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 21, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
Many people think the first Dune novel is the only good one.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 21, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
Dune is a good read. I think it has lost a little impact over the years, but still quite good. The following 2 novels are decent, and have some very cool concepts in them. After that they get WAY out there and are quite boring.

And no, you shouldnt read the prequels/sequels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. They are terribad. Seriously. Some of the worst novels I have ever read.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 21, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »
They aren't worth reading but they aren't terribad... and my favorite Dune book was #3 Children of Dune