Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311330 times)

kevinpii

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #645 on: April 01, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
I'm reading Fortress Draconis by Michael A. Stackpole. He has a good podcast every week but so far this book is just o.k.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 01, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »
I kinda packed all the books I was going to read, so I had to go to Borders and grab something. An H.P. Lovecraft collection. So. Freaking. Awesome.

That and I'm reading Dan Wells' Blacker Darkness again (though it's not called that anymore).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
What's it called now?

I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and it is AMAZING you should all read it!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 01, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
the title is a work in progress - he'll change it again i'm sure.

I have Name of the Wind, but its in that stack of books I packed. I'm not really in any rush to read it since the next one isn't out yet. Rothfuss is a genuinely cool guy.

My problem is I buy books when I see they are on sale, and I buy faster than I read - especially now that I am focusing on writing. I recently finished listening to the full Jordan stuff on audio since I drive a TON- I hadn't read it since book 9 was hardback. It was really long. I don't think it would have held my attention had I not been stuck listening to it in a car. And it wasn't as good as I remember (kinda like Brooks and Eddings). I've got Clash of Kings going in my car now, and I'm loving it (the Lanesters are way more enjoyable than the Starks).

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #649 on: April 02, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
I kinda packed all the books I was going to read, so I had to go to Borders and grab something. An H.P. Lovecraft collection. So. Freaking. Awesome.

Anything by H.P.L. and his group of friends is just awesome. I love the entire Cthulhu mythos.

Currently reading: Elegant universe by Brian Greene.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 02, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
I'm rereading the Chronicles of Amber by Rodger Zelazany you can get them all in the Great Book of Amber for about $29.95 or something like that its about 1.2 k pages and his most popular work even if it didn't get any hugo/nebula awards
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #651 on: April 02, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »
I'm rereading the Chronicles of Amber by Rodger Zelazany you can get them all in the Great Book of Amber for about $29.95 or something like that its about 1.2 k pages and his most popular work even if it didn't get any hugo/nebula awards

Someone I know is reading and/or has read that. They say it's really good. I've always been kinda curious about it, but never read it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 02, 2009, 10:10:39 PM »
One of the best book series ever it ranks up there with WoT (had about as big a following when it was still being released) Dune, and Mistborn check it out
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 04, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
My current book list.

The Eye of the World
-Dragonsteel
The Great Hunt
The Dragon Reborn
-Warbreaker (I should be right about here once the actual book comes out.)
The Shadow Rising
The Fires of Heaven
Lord of Chaos
--I Am Not A Serial Killer (just to break up the single series reading)
A Crown of Swords
The Path of Daggers
-Alcatraz v. The Scriveners Bones
Winter's Heart
Crossroads of Twilight
Knife of Dream
A Memory of Light : The Gathering Storm

The books with a single dash will be read as soon as they come out, that is just where I assume I'll be when they come out. (With the exception of Dragonsteel which will be read as soon as it gets to my house.)

The one with the double dashes will be read as soon as I decide I need a break from WoT. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #654 on: April 04, 2009, 12:29:22 AM »
I am currently re-reading the Mediator series by Meg Cabot...It's good. I like Cabot's writing style. It's cool...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 08, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
I kinda packed all the books I was going to read, so I had to go to Borders and grab something.
And that was easier than just unpacking a book or two?

The books with a single dash will be read as soon as they come out, that is just where I assume I'll be when they come out. (With the exception of Dragonsteel which will be read as soon as it gets to my house.)

The one with the double dashes will be read as soon as I decide I need a break from WoT. ha ha.
Miyabi, that is an impressively detailed and organized list of books to read!  I generally wait till I'm done with one book before I decide what to read next.  Or sometimes I get bored with one book and add another simultaneously.  Currently I've got 3 books on my nightstand, and pick up whichever suits my mood each night.
He ate my horse.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 08, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
I highly recommend I Am Not a Serial Killer as a "read sooner rather than later" novel. it's awesome.

haperez

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 11, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »
I am reading Breaking dawn... after eating like in two weeks the other three books... i am taking it easy now, don't know what to start reading next.  :P

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 11, 2009, 11:10:29 PM »
I am reading Breaking dawn... after eating like in two weeks the other three books... i am taking it easy now, don't know what to start reading next.  :P

shh...better keep quiet if you want to leave this forum with your life.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #659 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »
*pounces upon haperez from above*

RAAAAAAWR!
*shifty eyes*

*reverse pounce out of the frame*

I'm really going to have to read those some time and see if they're as good/horrible as everyone says. In the meantime, I just finished "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis. Not a recommended read unless you want a poorly constructed sci-fi version of Narnia. Also, rummaging around in the old books I found a copy of "None Dare Call It Conspiracy" by Gary Allen. I'm forcing myself through it, but it's umm... interesting. I really am having a hard time not just throwing it in the trash, but I decided to read the entire thing even if it is an attempt to create a moral panic and anti-communist reaction. It's "non-fiction" (pronounced "sensationalist journalism").
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie