Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 359799 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #615 on: March 22, 2009, 05:01:41 AM »
My doctor recommended the dune trilogy to me and i loved it. So I guess you could you its doctor recommended. (he actually wrote it on a prescription pad).

Dune isnt a trilogy. The original Dune (which is classic) is followed by several follow-ups, all of which get increasingly more odd. Dune Messiah and Children of Dume were ok, but God-Emperor was a little too far out there. I didn't get to Chapterhouse of Dune or Heretics of Dune. The 6 prequels were freaking awful - some of the worst novels i have ever read. ever. seriously.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 22, 2009, 01:42:07 PM »
Who wrote them??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Madjius

« Reply #617 on: March 22, 2009, 07:24:07 PM »
That is well said.
I tried reading those but after seeing Children of dune on the screen, It feels like any more story after that epic saga could only make it worse. Dont get me wrong, I love Dune!

Atm I'm reading Mistborn, Stuck on the last chapter.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 22, 2009, 08:18:47 PM »
Which book? (@Madjius)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 23, 2009, 01:31:40 AM »
My doctor recommended the dune trilogy to me and i loved it. So I guess you could you its doctor recommended. (he actually wrote it on a prescription pad).

Dune isnt a trilogy.

I think your splitting hairs saying its not a trilogy. while it may be true that it wasn't origanally written as a trilogy I don't think it is too far out to say that it is.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 23, 2009, 04:53:09 AM »
Who wrote them??
If you're talking about Dune, the author was Frank Herbert (for the first 6 books). for the Prequels and the other current Dune projects were done by Brian Herbert (Frank Herbert's son) and Kevin J Anderson.

kevin - Dune isnt a trilogy. it's 6 books. by your definition, I could say that Wheel of Time is a trilogy...with extra books tacked on. Or Hitchhickers Guide was a trilogy...with a few extras. Same with Piers Anthony. Same with Jim Butcher. Not to mention, Frank Herbert didn't finish the story, which is why we have his son and Kevin J Anderson have destroyed it thus far.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #621 on: March 23, 2009, 05:50:09 AM »
I  call Earthsea a trilogy.   (It WAS a trilogy for more than a decade.)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 23, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
I just checked my copy of the children of dune it actually says on the top " the climax of the classic dune trilogy" so I guess if the publisher felt the need to call it a trilogy who am I to say it isn't.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 23, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
interesting. none of my copies say that. neither does the 40th anniversary copy - as least on the front cover. I'll take your word for it though. the first "trilogy" of the six books are the best ones of the bunch. they have some fantastic ideas. I actually enjoyed Dune Messiah quite a bit. God Emperor was a bit too bleh for me. I seriously wonder if I would have finished it had I not been listening to it in audio.

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 23, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
I do see what you are saying about it not being a trilogy. Having read only the first three books it seemed like a trilogy to me and that being on the cover I just assumed that it was a given. That being said given your experience in this area I do respect your opinion and feel that you would know more than me in this area. I hope I haven't taken this discussion too far, its just that sometimes if I think that im right I'll argue more than is necessary.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
not at all. just do humanity a favor and dont waste brain-power on reading anything with Brian Herbert's name on it - seriously, they were awful, and I feel like my impression of Dune as a whole was ruined because of those "books". It makes me rather sad, because the original Dune is a classic.

now I have to decide if I should re-read the Erikson stuff once I finish Bakker's The Judging Eye. tough choices...

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 23, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have heard that about Brian Herberts writing. I have thought about reading Paul of dune though just because it fits in that same time period between Dune and Dune Messiah, but I have not yet succumbed to that temptation.

Madjius

« Reply #627 on: March 24, 2009, 04:05:57 AM »
Which book? (@Madjius)
The last one

Hunt you down without mercy! Need I smell your breath? Need I run you down? I can crawl back in if your luck runs out!...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:11:25 PM by Madjius »

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 26, 2009, 12:58:19 AM »
I just started reading my second non-fiction book. The first being Band of Brothers. This one is quite different, very interesting so far. Its Emergency by Neil Strauss. So far its pretty good so we will see how it end up.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 26, 2009, 02:42:04 AM »
I plan on forcing myself through the first chunk of Eye of the World tonight. . . hopefully I make it through. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。