Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311210 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #600 on: March 19, 2009, 11:09:44 PM »
If you are unlucky like me, you will be forced to read Gatsby no less than three times in high school English courses. I try to conceal my dislike for Fitzgerald for the most part, seeing as how I'm an English major and still have teachers who idolize him that I need to not piss off.
Haha that sucks…although I haven't read Gatsby yet so I don't know if he's even that bad, but…still.

From what I've heard…go with Ender's Game.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 19, 2009, 11:14:01 PM »
Dune. Stay away from Dark Elf. I'm kinda meh on Ender's Game.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 19, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
Why?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 19, 2009, 11:41:52 PM »

Now on to the next book in my stack.... Shall it be Dune, Ender's Game, or the Dark Elf Trilogy? (Yes, I have somehow survived without reading any of those three. I am insane.)

Same. And I expect to be reading The Great Gatsby sometime in the next month or so for my American Literature class...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2009, 12:23:58 AM »
I was never forced to read any Fitzgerald in high school. I could probably base that on having gone to a vocational school but whatever.

I have yet to read Dune or Enders Game as well. I don't know much about them but I have read almost all of The Dark Elf. I would have to agree and say stay away. Especially if you are having a hard time with Brooks and Shannara. Don't get me wrong, I have read all of the Shannara books up till the newest one that is still in hardcover and I enjoyed them enough. I find both Drizzt and Shannara to be kind of "Old Fantasy". They are both series that drag on way too long and tell similar stories over and over again.

Oh and on a side note. If you do decide to pick up The Dark Elf trilogy try and pick up the Ice Wind Dale trilogy first. Salvatore wrote Icewind Dale first and the characters became popular so he went back and wrote Dark Elf. So chronologically for the characters Dark Elf is first but I would say Ice Wind Dale is the better starting point.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #605 on: March 20, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »
Ah, okay. My brothers are the ones who suggested The Dark Elf Trilogy, but I will follow your advice. I do not trust my relatives, especially since one tried to get me to read *gulp* Twilight.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 20, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »
Finished Melanie Rawn's Mageborn Traitor, again.  And I'm now re-reading David Edding's Belgariad and Malloreon series.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »
I love the Belgariad and Mallorean series as well as Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress. Great reads. I don't seem to like them any less each time I read them.

I just finished Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Great book and I look forward to the next one. My only issue is I was doing a little research and I found that there are three books left to come out in the series and the latest book that he released in 2005 took five years. I mean the man is already 61 and at that rate I'm worried if he will ever finish the books. That's not even getting into the fact that its hard waiting five years for a book. It almost makes me want to stop reading these books and come back to them in a couple of years. Anyway I know that I will break down and read all the ones available so I don't know why I try to delude myself.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 20, 2009, 01:47:58 AM »
I do not trust my relatives, especially since one tried to get me to read *gulp* Twilight.
Judging from your use of the word 'tried,' I assume that you resisted the pressure to join the cult…bood job.  ;)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #609 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
Finished Melanie Rawn's Mageborn Traitor, again

Did she ever finish that trilogy? She had several that weren't finished and I got tired of checking on them.  I understand she had a severe case of depression, which is a valid reason not to write, but I hadn't heard if she was back in the saddle, so to speak.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 20, 2009, 02:06:31 AM »
Not that I know of, and it's been 12 years on this one so far.  When I have nothing better to do I take a look at her site.  She did write and publish some other stuff since, but if she's not going to finish what she starts then I'm not buy'n.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 20, 2009, 05:18:58 PM »
Ah, okay. My brothers are the ones who suggested The Dark Elf Trilogy, but I will follow your advice. I do not trust my relatives, especially since one tried to get me to read *gulp* Twilight.

yeah...if you didn't like the stereotypical fantasy of Terry Brooks, and you didn't like the lack of character depth in those books, then I fear you won't care for Dark Elf. You may as well read a die-roll log from a D&D game. Seriously.

Dune is still a good book, and I think it always will be. Though I don't recommend reading any of the Prequel/Sequels by his son Brian Herbert. They are terribad.

It's hard to know what to recommend for you to read since I don't know what like and dislike. The popular thing to read in the fantasy genre currently is Urban Fantasy (Jim Butcher, Simon R Green, Kat Richardson, anything with vampires and magic) and grim fantasy (characters die like crazy - Martin, Abercrombie, Erikson, Lynch, Bakker).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #612 on: March 20, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
They are terribad.

I don't know what it is, but every time I see this word, I chuckle...So clever. I should adopt it into my vocabulary...

Anyway. I've never read Fitzgerald. I was one of the lucky ones. If I had taken AP English in my senior year, I would've had to, but alas, I never did finish the application for that, so I was stuck in regular english where we only had to read Beowulf, Macbeth, and a couple others...It was nice...Although now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I did try to start Gatsby one time back when I was a sophomore. It was sitting out on our kitchen counter for a couple weeks because my brother never put it away....I didn't particularly care for it.

As for Brooks. I tried reading Shannara when I was in 5th grade...Or maybe it was 6th. It didn't pull me in at all. I still haven't read it. I sometimes feel like I should, just to say that I have, and yet at the same time, I don't really want to.

For your 3 books. I haven't read Dune or Dark Elf. I need to read Dune....I loved Ender's Game, but...you might not. I know some people who really haven't liked it. But maybe you will. I mean, you resisted the urge to read Twilight and a good portion of the people I know who didn't like Ender's Game are huge fans of Twilight, so...yeah.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 22, 2009, 01:50:47 AM »
I really like the Drizzt books, sometimes. I have to be in the mood for a good hack and slash fantasy. Salvitors characters lack some depth and his story line always comes back to the same things, kill an orc, walk a little further kill another orc, kill a giant, walk further, kill another orc and a giant, call panther, panther kills orc. His books go something like that, however his fight scenes are good enough that they will keep most intrested.

I just finished Enders Game and Speaker for the dead a couple of weeks ago and I loved them. They just seemed very clever. Even with knowing the plot twist in Enders game I still really enjoyed it.

My doctor recommended the dune trilogy to me and i loved it. So I guess you could you its doctor recommended. (he actually wrote it on a prescription pad).

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #614 on: March 22, 2009, 03:47:28 AM »
Currently reading the "North and South" trilogy by John Jakes.  I don't usually read novels about war, but it's pretty good so far.  :)