Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311358 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #570 on: March 10, 2009, 05:55:51 AM »
I liked Wizard's First Rule, but the series seemed to go downhill from there.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #571 on: March 10, 2009, 06:08:09 PM »
Yeah, WFR was a pretty good book.  The last three though were a complete waste of time.  Horrible.  Yeah.  If you can avoid it, just don't go there.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 10, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »
I think that the true Wizard's First Rule is, "These are not the fantasy books you are looking for. Move along."
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 10, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
Ouch.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:02 AM »
Wow, I can understand people not liking the series but I find it hard for a fantasy fan to not at least think Wizards First Rule was decent. I mean of course you are entitled to your opinion but you just surprise me. I am also surprised because I thought you were the somewhat intellectual type but hey, we can all be that way when we don't think something is worth our time. I can say that there were some of my favorite characters in that series but don't even bother with the last three books for the most part. If you get that far *SPOILER ALERT*  then just think about what the most cliche ending would be and your probably right.  *SPOILER ALERT*

Just finished Keepers of The Hidden Ways by Joel Rosenberg. Good little trilogy but it ended too quick for my taste. It was a good time killer while working. Looking forward to finishing George R. R. Martins series Song of Ice and Fire. I'm going to pick up book two tomorrow.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 11, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
Insulting my intellect for being honest in my dislike for an author and his "not-fantasy" series seems a bit ridiculous. I don't like him, and I think his books are garbage. I have always said this, and I have always been very up-front about my opinions whether here or when I was at the bookstore. I haven't insulted your intellect (or any other reader's) because of your likes or dislikes, so I suggest you refrain from it yourself.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2009, 09:12:50 PM »
I apologize for any offense taken. I didn't mean you lacked intelligence "I thought you were the somewhat intellectual type but hey, we can all be that way when we don't think something is worth our time.". That's the quote. I was only saying that your responses were un-intelligent. I also pointed out that I understood why because you didn't think the subject wasn't worth your time. I get that you don't like the "fantasy" books that we were talking about and that you don't like the author. I'm sorry if you took my statement as an insult because it wasn't really meant that way. I respond very similarly to subjects that I don't like.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
GreenBeerMonsta, I do not think you understand.

Terry Goodkind said his books are not fantasy. That's why Steve said "not-fantasy" series.

Steve made two very short posts expressing his disdain, one of which rhymed and the other of which referred to Goodkind's statement and made a Star Wars reference. That's hardly unintelligent.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »
I'm with Ook and Bookstore on this one, but…when did his post rhyme??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 12, 2009, 01:23:18 PM »
I'm with Ook and Bookstore on this one, but…when did his post rhyme??

check previous posts..
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 12, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
I almost feel kinda sad that more people didnt get the Star Wars reference...

My rhyming mockery was one of my better moments.

Let me explain my disdain for Terry "Terribad" Badkind. I started reading his books because they looked similar to Jordan's. Book one was rather cliche, but I forgave that because I didn't know any better. However, I began noticing a pattern even in my ignorance. Richard doubts everyone--> finds obscure prophesy--> prophesy fulfilled causing more distrust--> random rape sequence -->Richard saves the day on accident-->The end--> return to step one.  I cant stand that the character never learns. He is the luckiest bastard in the history of fantasy novels.

excuse me: "non-fantasy" novels.

The moment an author alienates the people who reads his books, I throw any respect for him out the window (not that I had much in this case). Then came the day when he said his novels weren't fantasy, and did not hold any of those genre cliches. Really? Dragon? check. Magic Sword? check. Boy king growing up from abject poverty? check. Prophecy? check. His FATHER is the BAD GUY? BIG CHECK. I can keep going.

The point is this: if anyone want to read his novels, giddyup. hey at least you are reading - a thing that I wish everyone would invest time in. However, my personal opinion is that there are better authors to read. Specifically, there are authors out there who treat their fans with the respect they deserve, and who don't make a mockery of the fantasy genre and those who read it.

Now, with that out of the way, I am currently reading Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. I had hoped to be in the middle of Bakker's The Judging Eye, but the bookstore didn't have the copy they said they did, so I had to Amazon it. I just got it the other day - it's a very good looking book.

Also. I received my collector's edition of Erikson's Gardens of the Moon on Tuesday. It looks AWESOME!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 12, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Don't you have the urge to post some pictures of your own copy?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 12, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I'll take some pics of it and post em. The illustrations were done by Michael Komarck. The new cover is amazing, and then there are 7 (including the cover again) interior full-color illustrations. They kick ass.

Subterranean Press did a fantastic job on it. If you are 'in' to Collector's Editions, I recommend them strongly. Another perk of ordering from them is that by getting this series, I am entitled to have the save numbered copy for every book of the series - in my case 321. Makes a sweet matching set all signed and with the same number.

This does bring up the point of internal illustrations. I miss them from fantasy novels. I remember the first 3 Terry Brooks novels had them, and they were great. I miss interior art a lot.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 12, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »
I still don't see the rhyme…or the Star Wars reference…*feels stupid*
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 13, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »
I still don't see the rhyme…or the Star Wars reference…*feels stupid*
No offense, Shaggy, and I don't mean to be rude, but...you're a big boy. Keep looking. Both of those posts are on the last two pages of this thread.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!