Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311080 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #525 on: February 24, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
Little Wilson, I always read multiple books.  Right now I just finished Making Money, by Terry Pratchett, And I have The Widow of the South, Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik, A History of the Arab Peoples and another history book about the early 1800s that I can't remember the title of, all in the middle of right now.  That way you always have something you want to read around. 
I am waiting until the summer to start my RJ reread, because if I finish too early I will just get annoyed that the next book isn't out yet.  My husband has been listening to them on audiobooks and he started already because it takes a long time to get through them that way.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 25, 2009, 04:14:38 AM »
Just starting my re-read of the WoT books.  Eye of the World.  It's been forever since I read this for the first time.  Pretty sure this is my third time reading it, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  I was a bit worried going into it that I might not like the writing.  I've heard a bundle of people say that they can't handle Jordan's prose.  I'm on page 150 now, and really I think that I'd like to see what some of those people consider to be books worth reading that have writing that is "so much better".  Man, this is good stuff.

Yeah, I am actually doing the same thing. JoeC inspired me  ;) At least, I'm trying to; I picked up EotW but didn't get very far until I grabbed the first two of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Good books I haven't read > great books I've read and reread  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2009, 05:30:15 AM »
I'm still reading Regenesis by CJ Cherryh (the sequel to Cyteen), and I also started The Patriot Witch by CC Finlay which Del Rey released a PDF of online. It's a fantasy which starts at the battle of Lexington & Concord; it's interesting.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #528 on: February 25, 2009, 08:46:01 AM »
Little Wilson, I always read multiple books.  Right now I just finished Making Money, by Terry Pratchett, And I have The Widow of the South, Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik, A History of the Arab Peoples and another history book about the early 1800s that I can't remember the title of, all in the middle of right now.  That way you always have something you want to read around. 

Oh, I used to always be reading multiple books. But I haven't really been reading a whole lot since I finished HoA, and so for me to be reading about 5 or 6 books now is a little crazy. And time-consuming since if I was doing what I should be doing, I would have virtually no time at all to read...But alas, I am a slacker to the core. It's terrible...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »
Starting today, I will be reading The Judging Eye by R Scott Bakker. My work day is basically being wasted due to the anticipation.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #530 on: February 25, 2009, 06:54:05 PM »
I can TOTALLY empathize with you BookstoreGuy.  I couldn't find a local bookstore that actually had a hardback copy of Judging Eye and so I broke down and ordered one from Amazon.  And it's not going to get here for another week!!!!!  AUGH!!!!  Even though I'm re-reading Eye of the World, I still want Judgning Eye NOW!!  Grumble, grumble.  Have fun with it.  I'll be joining you soon, if not soon enough for my own likes.  :)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 25, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
I can TOTALLY empathize with you BookstoreGuy.  I couldn't find a local bookstore that actually had a hardback copy of Judging Eye and so I broke down and ordered one from Amazon.  And it's not going to get here for another week!!!!!  AUGH!!!!  Even though I'm re-reading Eye of the World, I still want Judgning Eye NOW!!  Grumble, grumble.  Have fun with it.  I'll be joining you soon, if not soon enough for my own likes.  :)

if i can get you over your Erikson misconceptions, we will be, like, BFFs! ;)

for those of you who like VERY dark, psychological fantasy, Bakker is your guy. did is stress how dark it is? if you shy away from novels with sex and language, this book might offend your sensibilities. there, my warning is out there.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:09 PM »
HOPEFULLY sometime soon I can start reading Eye of The World . . . hopefully.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 28, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »
HERO OF AGES!!!!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 02, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »
I just finished Hunter's Death by Michelle West and it was amazing. Next I'm reading Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 04, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
I just finished sinner by Ted Dekker and am now reading enders game.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 04, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
The Baby Wise series by Gary Ezzo.  Right now I'm about to start Toddler Wise.
He ate my horse.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #537 on: March 04, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
I read the first couple of The Company novels by Kage Baker a couple of years ago, so now that my library has caught up, I am doing the same.  Also reading The Mysterious Benedict Society.  I can't wait to share that one with my older kids.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 04, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
I've heard Terry Pratchett was very good, so I picked up Time Thief. Or maybe Thief of Time? Anyway, it was good, but not quite as good as I'd been led to expect. I know he has written a LOT, so maybe that one just wasn't as good as some of his others? Any suggestions? Who knows, it could just be not my thing, but I'd like to try him at least once more.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2009, 02:26:04 AM »
Brandon recommends the book The Truth as a good Discworld introduction. I quite enjoyed Thief of Time, but I wouldn't say it's one of the best and it got kind of confusing. Also it makes more sense if you've read the earlier Death/Susan books.

The one I read most recently was Monstrous Regiment and I really enjoyed that; it can be read without much knowledge of the series. Going Postal followed by Making Money were both quite entertaining. My favorite may be Night Watch, but that one is well along a thread... See this picture: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.jpg

More or less any book there that doesn't have a solid line to its left can be read on its own. The "Industrial Revolution" group is the least coherent; all 4 of those books listed can be read on their own and only Going Postal has a direct sequel (Making Money, which isn't on the chart yet for some reason).

My least favorite are the Rincewind novels. He's not a very interesting character (apart from his Luggage), and The Colour of Magic (the first Discworld book) really is not written nearly as well as most of the rest. The Light Fantastic wasn't so hot either. I started out with Equal Rites and thought that was a very fine introduction. I would start a young adult with The Wee Free Men; those are great books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!