Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311053 times)

Bastille

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #510 on: February 19, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »
I'm reading Prince Caspian. I watched the movie last night, and got a sudden craving to read the book, since I've never read it before (I stopped on The Horse and His Boy the last time I tried reading Narnia). I loved the movie, and I'm really liking the book.

EDIT: And now I'm onto The Voyage of the Dawn Treader...I'm almost surprised at how quick a read these books are....

Those are good books. I've read them all and yeah they are quick reads. :) I hope you enjoy them.

Bastille
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 19, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »
Yes your right its Night Angel. I am not an accomplished speller, so I use spell check and usually am to lazy to re-check it myself.  But as long as a few of you can figure it out I'm good. Thanks for the catch though!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
Haha–no problem.

Are those the ones by C.S. Lewis? I enjoyed those…I think.…:/
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #513 on: February 20, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
Are those the ones by C.S. Lewis? I enjoyed those…I think.…:/

Yes. Chronicles of Narnia is by Lewis....And the only one that I haven't enjoyed so far is The Horse and His Boy (hence why I never finished it, and have now skipped it to finish the series....).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2009, 02:46:19 AM »
Finally got around to reading the Temeraire books.  I wish I had read them earlier, I am really enjoying them.  My library just got them and we are playing tag with several other people who are checking them out too.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:46 AM »
I have finally gotten around to starting the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin. Currently half way into the Game of Thrones and I really enjoy it so far.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 23, 2009, 02:25:10 AM »
I just finished The Road. WOW.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 23, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »
Yes. Chronicles of Narnia is by Lewis....And the only one that I haven't enjoyed so far is The Horse and His Boy (hence why I never finished it, and have now skipped it to finish the series....).

How long ago was it that you tried to read it?  You might consider giving it another try, once you finish the series - I know I enjoyed that one more when I got older.  Aravis gets less annoying toward the end, I promise.  (Plus, she gets a bit of what she deserves.)  And as you've noted, they're very quick reads, so you won't have wasted much time if you still don't like it.
He ate my horse.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #518 on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
Its funny how children's lit has changed.  I read the Narnia books around 9 and loved them.  My older sons, 10 & 9, think they are horribly boring and prefer Terry Pratchett.  I think they have less tolerance for pure plot with less humor.
I could blame my parenting, but maybe I'll say its the problem with kids today.  There is more out there now and it is much less didactic than a lot of what I read at their age.  I'm not that old, mid-30s, but I would say learning to read today would be much more fun.
That said, Horse and His Boy is my least favorite of all of them.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 23, 2009, 10:41:44 PM »
Hmm, that's worrisome.  I was hoping to share my love of Narnia with my kids (I'm expecting my first in May), so I hope it won't be too hard to convince them of how wonderful those books (and others I enjoyed as a child) are.  Maybe if I start them young...

Or maybe I should just go with the flow, let them read the more interesting and funny books, and pick other battles to fight with them.  I'm sure there are a lot of good books out there now that I've never heard of.
He ate my horse.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #520 on: February 23, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »
Pratchett's good. I like him. And I started Narnia about 4 years ago. I was a teacher aid in my senior year for a 3rd grade teacher and the teacher didn't always have something for me to....But the Narnia books were in there, and since I sat next to the bookshelf.....I just couldn't really get into the book. I didn't even get that far. Maybe 30 pages? I don't know...And yes, I do intend on re-reading it after I finish the others.

And as for kids and reading. I think just instilling in them a love for reading a lot of different types--at least, not just humor--will make it easier for them to enjoy stuff like Pratchett and Lewis. Even if their styles are completely different, they're both really good, and they both write/wrote predominantly fantasy (to my knowledge).

On a side note, I really need to focus on reading one book at a time. I whipped out Card's Ender books a couple days and so I'm re-reading them on top of Narnia....And I have a craving to re-read Ella Enchanted, too.... ::)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #521 on: February 24, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
Currently reading Book One of the Runelords by David Farland.

I'm not all that far into it (3 chapters) but I am liking it quite a bit so far.

It was refreshing to not start out on a farm, but with a murder in the middle of the night :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 24, 2009, 05:36:50 PM »
Finishing up my WoT re-read with Knife of Dreams. I did not remember the prologue being that long.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #523 on: February 24, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
Just starting my re-read of the WoT books.  Eye of the World.  It's been forever since I read this for the first time.  Pretty sure this is my third time reading it, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  I was a bit worried going into it that I might not like the writing.  I've heard a bundle of people say that they can't handle Jordan's prose.  I'm on page 150 now, and really I think that I'd like to see what some of those people consider to be books worth reading that have writing that is "so much better".  Man, this is good stuff.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 24, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »
When I go back to one of RJ's books after a long while…I'm just so…amazed…at how talented he is. Just amazed.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.