Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 365663 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #480 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »
Hah, you should read Kant!  He's worse!

But, you do need to remember:  Dickens got paid by the word.  (And, frankly, it shows.)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 14, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Dickens got paid by the word.  (And, frankly, it shows.)

Of course, there was a the counterbalance: if people quit reading his words, he'd quit getting paid.
He ate my horse.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 14, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
But, you do need to remember:  Dickens got paid by the word.
Although I have heard this statement numerous times, my English teacher (a very intelligent, knowledgeable woman who has been teaching English and Oliver Twist for 35 years, and who's husband is a Superior Court judge) has told our class that this is simply a rumor, and a false one at that.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »
I just finished The Chase by Clive Cussler. Very fast and exciting read. I got this book for christmas and didn't want it, I love history, and I love fiction, but historical fiction for me is usually as cheesy as it gets. This book though caught me off guard. It was fun, entertaining and intelligent. Great read. Now I'm onto The Host that many of you suggested. Hope its as good as many of you think.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 16, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »
Who is the author of 'The Host?'
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #485 on: January 16, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »
Stephenie Meyer.  The Twilight (teenage vampires that everyone loves) author.

The Host is kind of like a romantical version of the Body Snatchers, from what I've heard.  Haven't read it yet myself.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 16, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »
Oh.…I wasn't aware that Meyer had written any other books besides the Twilight series.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #487 on: January 16, 2009, 09:57:40 PM »
Halfway through The Ill Made Mute, first of the Bitterbynde series.  It's better than I was expecting.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #488 on: January 17, 2009, 12:40:49 AM »
Although I have heard this statement numerous times, my English teacher (a very intelligent, knowledgeable woman who has been teaching English and Oliver Twist for 35 years, and who's husband is a Superior Court judge) has told our class that this is simply a rumor, and a false one at that.

Well, your teacher was sort of wrong.  Many of Dickens' novels were published initially as serials, and his publisher paid, essentially, by the page (Dickens had to meet minimal page requirements).  So Dickens got paid to produce a certain amount of text, regardless of content or quality (assuming the public still bought it).  That's essentially the same as getting paid by the word, in my book.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:08:53 PM by The Roasting Chestknight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 17, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »
Not really. Big difference. If the minimum is 3,000 words, then he would get paid the same amount for writing 3,000 as for writing 50,000.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 17, 2009, 04:58:24 AM »
not if 4200 only fit on a page.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 19, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »
You see my point. Hyperboles and exaggerated statements are often used when making a point (at least when I'm the one making it).  8)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

CSmythe

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 19, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »
Just starting in on the second novel in the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. I honestly was going to pass on the rest of this series after having read the first but it keeps getting recommended to me by people whose opinions I trust. Apparently Weeks fixes a number of the things I had problems with in the second volume so who knows. It is a series about a magic assassin so it could turn out great.

On Stephanie Meyer I gotta say that The Host, from what of it I managed to wade through is pretty bad. I dug Twilight, thought it could have been a great series but then mostly just got offended by the rest of it. Now I'll state for the record that I am a guy and 26 so probably not her target audience but really I had a pretty big problem with Bella becoming basically suicidal as soon as Edward left at the end of Twlight. It just seemed like she met a guy and decided that without him life wasn't worth living, not really a great message to be sending to teenage girls as far as I am concerned.

I have never in my life advocated banning books but I desperatly wish they would keep this out of the hands of children, it teaches terrible lessons for young girls and frankly is not something I would want my daughter (assuming I had one) reading until she was at least old enough to see how messed up it was.

Maybe I read to much into it, on the surface it certainly is a book about a girl who is in love with a sparkly (ugh) vampire and on that level it is fine, except for the sparkling.

Thoughts?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #493 on: January 26, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
So, I put Perdido down for a few books.  They were ones that came up on my City Library waiting list, and Perdido is one I get from the University for something like three months.  So...

Read Born Queen by Greg Keyes.  Final book in Thorn and Bone series.  Mostly just confusion for me.  Don't think I understood why anything happened in the entire book, let alone the rest of the series.

Tried to read TimeWeb by Brian Herbert.  Forced myself through 45 pages (even though I wanted to pitch it after 2) before giving up on it.  Horrible writing.  Horrible story-telling.  Just...uck.  There was no point in continuing the torture.

Started Hidden Empire by Kevin Anderson.  Decent so far, even though every, new, extremely short chapter has a new POV character in it.  Not sure what to think about that.  This is the last author that I have to read to complete my goal of reading at least one book from every author in the Writers of the Future judges panel.  It's been an interesting ride.  I'll say that.

Ghost Story by Peter Straub is coming up after I finish those last two.  Supposedly one of his really good ones.  I like a little horror every now and then.  :)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
I'm rereading 'Thieves Like Us' by Stephen Cole and I'm really enjoying it. It's more of a juvenile read, but.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.