Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 357513 times)

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »
If you liked Twilight, the Host (by the same author) was in my opinion MUCH better (and yes, I too, liked Twilight (and am a normal married adult male))
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #421 on: December 03, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »
I think it's hilarious that you felt a need to qualify what you're reading with an explanation.

(BTW, doesn't matter if someone else is reading what you are—it's just what you're reading!)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:24 PM »
at the moment I'm reading Elminster in hell. its not so good. i used to like ed greenwoods stuff but its been a while since i read anything of his so i thought i would pick it up. i just don't really like it, it jumps around too much from memories to reality back to Elminster its almost too much work to figure out where the story is headed at the time.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #423 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »
Reading Sword from Red Ice by JV Jones right now.  Been meaning to get to it for a long time now.  Don't really feel bad though.  It took her five years to write the dang thing.  It's no wonder it took me over a year to get to it once it was finally released.  So far it's pretty good.  Nothing spectacular.  Also just finished Diary of a Wimpy kid recently.  Read it with my wife.  Pretty funny.  Worth a couple of chuckles anyhow.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 03, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »
Currently reading Storm of Swords by George RR Martin. Took me a long time to pick up this series. So far I'm very impressed. Although, like Jordan, he switches character perspective just as your really into what the current character is doing. He also does not space out time jumps. He just starts a new paragraph which can be a tad confusing at some points. These two complaints are really nothing at all compared to how much I enjoy the story!
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #425 on: December 05, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »
The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturlson, a translation obviously, since the original was written in the early 1100's or so and is in old norse.

I highly reccomend it if you like norse (viking) mythology. It's a pretty good primer, from the creation of the gods, to their role, to tales of their exploits, all they way up to ragnarok.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 05, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
Fighting through Academ's Fury now. I really like a lot of the characters, and am immensely curious where he goes with the story but it just feels so boggy at the beginning. Seems like Jim is still trying to figure out his way through this genre.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #427 on: December 05, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »
Started the Magyk series.  Got them to listen to while traveling over Thanksgiving.  My 9 yr old was so into it he wanted to stay in the car.  They seem better than a lot of the current crop of copy-cat fantasies in the children's section.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 08, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
I'm currently reading The Best Birth about the Sarah McMoyler method of childbirth.  I find it much more reasonable and less like propaganda than competitors like Bradley's Husband Coached Childbirth or Jennifer Block's Pushed.  Key points:
  • childbirth is not a competition
  • only the stork can predict how your labor and delivery will go
  • the ultimate goal is healthy mom & healthy baby, no matter how you get there
  • mothers should not be made to feel like guilty failures if they choose to use pain relief
  • medical professionals are not your enemy, they want the best for you and your baby
He ate my horse.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #429 on: December 08, 2008, 09:43:46 PM »
Set aside Sword from Red Ice to pick up An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham.  This guy is one amazing writer.  Love his stuff, and so far this book is no different.  Really looking forward to reading more of him.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »
If you liked Twilight, the Host (by the same author) was in my opinion MUCH better (and yes, I too, liked Twilight (and am a normal married adult male))

Agree. In fact, I think it such a pity that some people won't read The Host just because they disliked Twilight.

Right now, I'm reading Phoenix and Ashes, the third book in the Elemental Masters series by Mercedes Lackey. I have to recognize, they are both interesting and original.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »
Primal Leadership, by Goleman et al.  It's popular science, as it were, about the role of emotion in leadership.  Pretty good, so far.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 25, 2008, 04:24:52 AM »
Band of Brothers by: Stephen E. Ambrose.

I have always stuck to fantasy seeing how realistic stuff never really interested me. I mean if I wanted real stuff I would watch the History channel or Discovery. So I was out of books to read and I saw this in a box of my fathers books. I decided that I had seen the mini-series enough times to recite the lines so I might as well read the book that spawned it. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy this book. It makes me think that I might delve deeper into the whole historical novel section of the book store. Anyway I'm about half way through and I love it so if you haven't read it yet and like historical warfare type stories I suggest you read it, even if you've seen the mini-series.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #433 on: December 25, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »
Band of Brothers by: Stephen E. Ambrose.

I have always stuck to fantasy seeing how realistic stuff never really interested me. I mean if I wanted real stuff I would watch the History channel or Discovery. So I was out of books to read and I saw this in a box of my fathers books. I decided that I had seen the mini-series enough times to recite the lines so I might as well read the book that spawned it. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy this book. It makes me think that I might delve deeper into the whole historical novel section of the book store. Anyway I'm about half way through and I love it so if you haven't read it yet and like historical warfare type stories I suggest you read it, even if you've seen the mini-series.

That is the same as when I watched the TV mini-series North and South. Immediately went out and picked up the books and loved them.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 26, 2008, 05:58:41 AM »
I just got Hero of Ages for Christmas! Yea! :D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)