Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311116 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #405 on: November 22, 2008, 04:46:24 AM »
I've been plowing through The Guns of August, a detailed look at the first month of WWI.  I don't think I've ever read of this many errors made by presumably capable people; except in the case of the Russians, they were pretty much incapable to begin with.  The author's premise that this month directly caused the next four years of misery is pretty well proven and I'm only half-way through.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 22, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
I just finished The City of Ember and The People of Sparks. I enjoyed them quite a bit, though there are a few stupid things in the way Ember was planned.

Are there other really good science fiction middle grade books out there? (Not fantasy; actual science fiction.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »
You've read The Stainless Steel Rat?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
I enjoyed The Stainless Steel Rat, a bit dated, but fun.  The Retief books by Keith Laumer are elso good, in that same style.  I like David Weber and Robert Heinlein's The Moon is  a Harsh Mistress, as far as sci-fi goes. 

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »
I just finished re-reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. Pretty dark book, but none the less an interesting read again.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 22, 2008, 07:06:59 PM »
I read all the Stainless Steel Rat books in 9th or 10th grade and thoroughly enjoyed them—they're the reason I learned Esperanto. They're not middle grade or even YA—they're books written for adults. A Stainless Steel Rat is Born and its immediate sequel may have tried for the older YA crowd, but it wasn't much of an effort.

I'm trying to think of books aimed at 9- to 12-year-olds that are serious science fiction like the Ember books are. (Not dumb stuff like "My Teacher is an Alien"—not that I know for sure that that is dumb, but it sounds dumb and the covers looked dumb.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 22, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »
I'm reading a bunch of self-improvement books on writing. You know, the kind that helps you "Find your voice," "create unforgettable characters," and write "a damn good novel!"

Does anyone have any particular books in mind that focus on becoming a better writer and the like?

Thanks much.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 23, 2008, 05:29:51 AM »
I just finished re-reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. Pretty dark book, but none the less an interesting read again.

How was it in comparison with the movies?
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #413 on: November 23, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »

How was it in comparison with the movies?

Honestly, the movie was a terrible adaptation. Changed too many things. The manga on the other hand is much more in line with the original novel.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #414 on: December 01, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »
Finally reading Hero of Ages! WOO!
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #415 on: December 01, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
So, I just read significant chunks of the manual (Roleplaying Book) for Warhammer Quest (acquired online, though my friend owns the game).  Makes me very sad that there's little chance GW will reproduce it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 01, 2008, 07:12:36 PM »
Currently re-reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin and The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan. I'm slowly going through both of those series again so I feel "caught up" when their next books come out (hopefully next year).

Reading The Warlock in Spite of Himself by Christopher Stasheff and Warbreaker for the first time. Also reading The Dark Knight Returns (comic book) which is fun.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 01, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »
I'm reading Day Watch, or I would be if I hadn't misplaced it. I'm assuming it has to be in my house somewhere, but I don't know where.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 02, 2008, 12:36:27 AM »
I just finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It was actually reviewed on this site quite some time back and while I was looking through the list of book reviews, it caught my eye. I didn't pick it up until quite some time later but I am very impressed, especially for a first book. In my opinion it could have used some editing but still I was impressed.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 02, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »
I have not read all the posts so I'm sure someone has put this on here but, I just finished the Twilight Series. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a teenage girl or a lonely single mother. I am a normal adult male who loved this series. I started this series with nothing in mind beside reading the book before the movie because I like a good vampire story, and to my amazement I loved it. In fact for three day's I could do nothing but read the series. I had my wife driving to get the next book while I was finishing another. I was blown away. Now there is a lot of overdone googly-eye love pages, and I was able to not just look past it but actually embrace it. I must say I was very surprised, and despite the fact that my father mocked me for having the series on the counter I will still recommend it to all my friends.  Look past the young adults section category, look past the droves of young ladies flocking to both read the book and see the movie, and just pick it up. I did it a walmart and when mixed in with groceries no one noticed it. Now I'm in a mad scramble to find a series that can compare to it in style and hopefully equal it writing ability. If anyone has any recommendations please drop me a line.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.