Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311136 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #390 on: October 31, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
I agree that Wizards First Rule was a fantastic book. However, I was extremely dissapointed in the second book, Stone of Tears. So much so that it took away from how awesome the first book was. Don't get me wrong Stone of Tears wasn't horrible but it just couldn't, successfully, follow up a great first act. Thus, taking away from the show as a whole.

I know what you mean, authors tend to paint themselves into a corner--its hard to follow up "The End of the World"

So when another book comes, its usually disappointing or redundent, "What, the world is going to end....again?"

Which is a big part of the reason authors create these complex, really interesting worlds, write a trilogy or series on it. Then never go back to it again. What happens if the readers doesn't want to leave?

For instance, Scadriel, i hope that this isn't the end...
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 31, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »
Maddness I tend to disagree. While I respect your opinion I loved the whole series. Almost every book was awesome for me so I guess I am biased. The Stone of Tears was an awesome book I didnt have trouble with the series until Blood of The Fold or Pillars of Creation. But again I loved the Sword of Truth. Come on, the Palace of the Prophets and the Sisters of the Light may be a rip off of The Amrylin seat and the Asi sedi but I read the Sword of Truth first and I thought it was good. Also the torture scenes were needed to build Richard as a character, if you read the whole series Richard never forgets Dena and turning the blade white for the first time. That was important in making him who he was. But again thats just me im sorry.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 31, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »
Anyway, what do you think of Pats voice?

That's actually my favorite aspect of the book. He has a terribly ominous voice. The funniest part is that when i met him, i found an overly clever witted jokester, who never stopped smiling. For him to shed such a grim tone in his writings from his light hearted disposition...well, he's just awesome is what im trying to say.
I don't know about that. I think his voice in the book is often quite funny and entertaining. Any grimness just comes from more of an injection of reality than you see in a lot of books. Life for an orphan would naturally be very difficult for an orphan in a society like this, and it's nice to see it portrayed that way.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 31, 2008, 11:14:23 PM »
Anyway, what do you think of Pats voice?

That's actually my favorite aspect of the book. He has a terribly ominous voice. The funniest part is that when i met him, i found an overly clever witted jokester, who never stopped smiling. For him to shed such a grim tone in his writings from his light hearted disposition...well, he's just awesome is what im trying to say.
I don't know about that. I think his voice in the book is often quite funny and entertaining. Any grimness just comes from more of an injection of reality than you see in a lot of books. Life for an orphan would naturally be very difficult for an orphan in a society like this, and it's nice to see it portrayed that way.

Thats probably a better way to explain it. It is sort of morbid humor. Which isn't so hard to believe given that Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett are two of his favorite authors...
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2008, 06:28:19 AM »
I am currently re-reading the book "Nerds: Who they are and why we need more of them" by David Anderegg, Ph.D.

It's an interesting book.  :)

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »
I am currently re-reading the book "Nerds: Who they are and why we need more of them" by David Anderegg, Ph.D.

It's an interesting book.  :)

Thats an interesting title.

I started reading Country of Origin. Mainly because the author is the professor of my 3000 level class i'm going to be taking next semester. Well, that was initially why i picked it up but thats not whats keeping me reading. Its really good.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #396 on: November 09, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
Reading lots and lots of job-related materials lately.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 09, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »
Stupid SixSigma taking up all my reading time. Which is hilarious since I physically have to force myself to stop reading Mistborn =). Sazed makes me smile.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #398 on: November 10, 2008, 01:44:33 AM »
Oh gosh, how long has it been since I last posted??? You know, I don't even want to think about it.

Anyway, I was reading a couple books, and some of them I was really liking... I just can't remember what they are. Shoot.

Oh! Jumper. I'm really enjoying Jumper. Totally different than the movie. So if you didn't like the movie, you might like the book (like me), but if you did like the movie you might not get into it.

I'm also completely addicted to the Fables comics. Yeah, you got to love the Big Bad Wolf.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #399 on: November 13, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »
So, I was wandering around the internet yesterday and came across a review for KJ Parker's new novel The Company.  And I'm all, NewNovel?  I completely freaked out, called my local Borders, reserved a copy, and picked it up last night.  Started reading.  Ah, it's good to be back in a KJ Parker book.  Can't wait to get further in.  Having a difficult time not reading it while here at work.  It's burning a hole in my head, sitting there on my desk just an arm's length away...

Started reading Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover a few days ago.  Got about 50 pages into it and decided that I didn't really like it.  So, I bailed on it.  Finished Matter by Iain Banks just before that.  Amazing ideas, awesome writing, but little to no story.  Frustrating, but I guess that's what I get for picking up a sci-fi book.

I also have An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham reserved at the library.  Guess they're working on getting it into their system.  Don't know what I'm going to do if that one comes available before I'm done with The Company though.  Will probably have to let it sit.  Have three weeks to keep it after all, and I doubt I'll be able to put The Company aside until it's over and done with.

Also picked up Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney and am reading it with my wife.  Pretty funny so far.  Mostly just chuckles, but still worth a laugh.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #400 on: November 13, 2008, 07:33:50 PM »
Amazing ideas, awesome writing, but little to no story.  Frustrating, but I guess that's what I get for picking up a sci-fi book.
Science fiction has gotten a lot more of a "literary" reputation lately, I think its because a lot of authors have abandoned the storytelling qualities that made it different in the first place.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #401 on: November 14, 2008, 05:41:24 AM »
I think it's also partly because writers have worked very hard to get it that sort of reputation.  And believe me, the fight's not over yet.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
I'm also completely addicted to the Fables comics. Yeah, you got to love the Big Bad Wolf.

Those comics are Grade A Awesomeness. I think I have most of them on a disc somewhere.

I'm currently reading a comic series called Preacher, but I'm sure most of the crowd here hates it for obvious reasons lol.  :D

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2008, 12:20:51 AM »
I'm reading Lilith by George MacDonald, and I have to say, it is weird. I'm not completely sure whether it is a good weird or a bad weird yet.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2008, 12:07:14 AM »
Finally finished Mistborn. Catching up =). Really really glad I started it. Was a spectacular read for me. Made me remember why it is that I read the particular sub-section of fantasy that I do.

I was a little sad that I saw a lot of the ending pieces coming. Some of it was fun to try and pick out. I get a great sense of fulfillment from picking out very small things that turn true in the end. With other things though; I am fairly certain I only guessed them because Brandon "spoliered" them in the Writing Excuses podcast. Not sure if we are on a statute of limitations, or if I was able to take really fine details and figure out how his methods. In either case, I figured some things out much much earlier than i would have normally.

Still looking forward to the rest, which I shall be acquiring soon =). And always nice to figure out Christmas gifts for friends.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.