Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311466 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #375 on: October 23, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
Currently working on the Lays of Beleriand (Tolkien).  His poetry takes some getting used to, but retains a sort of magic in its own right.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2008, 06:59:05 PM »
1632 and 1633 are actually free e-books on the Baen Free Library website.

http://www.baen.com/library/

If you can't find em in a library, and don't mind reading on the computer, that's at least an option for the first two books in the series.

I'm listening to The Graveyard Book through the streaming video of Gaiman reading them, linked to from his website.  It's pretty good so far.  Keeping me interested while doing other much more mundane stuff at school anyhow.

Almost finished with Hero of Ages now.  About 150 pages left to go.  I'm going to have some good reading ahead of me with all of these "SPOILER" threads that have popped up since the book came out.  Want to see where Brandon is going to go with all of this afterward.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
1632 and 1633 are actually free e-books on the Baen Free Library website.

http://www.baen.com/library/

If you can't find em in a library, and don't mind reading on the computer, that's at least an option for the first two books in the series
Thanks for the link.  Generally I don't like reading on the computer, because the chair is uncomfortable and my children bug me, but there is getting to be a big list of things I want to read that way.  I may have to give in and find a more comfy chair.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »
They're available in a lot of different formats, no DRM, so if you have any other devices or a ton of paper and ink, you can read them however you like.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »
Finishing Freedom's Landing now that HoA is finished.   Also picked up Iain M. Banks new book, Matter.  It's pretty good so far.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 30, 2008, 06:12:56 AM »
I just finished Dan's vampire book, and Phantom by Terry Goodkind. Phantom was extremely hard to get through. In the end it felt like a chore. I am really curious how everything will play out. especially since I am this far in, I don't think I can just let it go. I think I would be enjoying everything more if there weren't so many books in the series. I phrase it that way because then themes wouldn't need to be repeated so much. Would feel more like actual Leit Motif instead of harping. And majorly, events put into play in this book would feel more connected to the beginning of the series instead of feeling like the author forgot to explain important things and hoped we all wouldn't notice too much.

Will either start Mistborn, Academ's Fury, or The Confessor next. Not sure what I am in the mood to jump into right now. Anyone have any good suggestions for Noir?

If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #381 on: October 30, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »
I am now reading Well of Ascension! Yay! Hopefully I'll finish it by the time Brandon gets to DC :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #382 on: October 30, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »
Anyone have any good suggestions for Noir?
Other than reading the originals, Dashiell Hammett is great, try Jim Butcher.  The Dresden Files are good Noir/Urban Fantasy.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »
You know I haven't had the time to go to the library or book store lately so I ended up downloading like 10 fantasy e-books the other day. I'm sure my work doesn't mind me doing this while working and also using their printers to print 3 to 400 page books. Right now I'm reading "Delver Magic" book 1 by Jeff Inlo. Its not bad, its a traditional fantasy with elves and dwarfs but a couple of other races in the mix aswell. So far I cant complain, it is fairly entertaining and keeps me occupied for the time being.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2008, 04:38:32 AM »
I'm 2/3 of the way through the Name of the Wind. It's completely unoriginal. Everything about it: the world, the characters, the plot setup, the magic, is based on a cliche. But it's done oh so well. The more I read, the more I think that this is the ultimate genius-orphan-boy-learns-magic-and-seeks-revenge-on-his-parents'-supernatural-killers story and that now that this book exists, there's no need for anyone to write another one ever again. It's just that good.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2008, 06:18:11 AM »
Other than reading the originals, Dashiell Hammett is great, try Jim Butcher.  The Dresden Files are good Noir/Urban Fantasy.

Own all Dresden =). After Halloween you will have to look at my old avatar. Will look into Hammett though, thanks.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2008, 06:21:07 AM »
I'm 2/3 of the way through the Name of the Wind. It's completely unoriginal. Everything about it: the world, the characters, the plot setup, the magic, is based on a cliche. But it's done oh so well. The more I read, the more I think that this is the ultimate genius-orphan-boy-learns-magic-and-seeks-revenge-on-his-parents'-supernatural-killers story and that now that this book exists, there's no need for anyone to write another one ever again. It's just that good.

Haha! reached the pinnacle, huh. Name of the Wind, the ring of all the revenge seeking orphan books. Anyway, what do you think of Pats voice?

That's actually my favorite aspect of the book. He has a terribly ominous voice. The funniest part is that when i met him, i found an overly clever witted jokester, who never stopped smiling. For him to shed such a grim tone in his writings from his light hearted disposition...well, he's just awesome is what im trying to say.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »
Yeah I dont know. I've read too many of those to think this one could be hands down the best but I guess that means that I will have to pick it up and give it a try some time. Seeing how I dont mind cliche fantasy novels.

I still stand by "Wizards First Rule" as the hands down best. You dont have to like Goodkind or even the rest of the series but that book was awesome.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »
I still stand by "Wizards First Rule" as the hands down best. You dont have to like Goodkind or even the rest of the series but that book was awesome.

It was good, but I don't think I could call it the best. Certainly very enjoyable, though the torture scenes lasted too long.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »
I agree that Wizards First Rule was a fantastic book. However, I was extremely dissapointed in the second book, Stone of Tears. So much so that it took away from how awesome the first book was. Don't get me wrong Stone of Tears wasn't horrible but it just couldn't, successfully, follow up a great first act. Thus, taking away from the show as a whole.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar