Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 360441 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #345 on: September 29, 2008, 08:41:53 PM »
Several forum members have recommended Rothfuss's Name of the Wind, so I picked it up yesterday and stayed up far too late reading.  Then when I finally forced myself to turn off the light, I had trouble sleeping and had all kinds of scary dreams.  I'm definitely hooked - but maybe I shouldn't read it right before bed.
He ate my horse.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 29, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
The biggest problem in my opinion was the lack of grammar being consistent I mean, he did alright, but there were MANY places that could have been improved.

By grammar do you mean rules of sentence structure and that type of thing? Run-on sentences? I noticed some mistakes in dialogue but always chalked that up to the fact that the characters didn't study grammar in school  :P and would talk naturally without worrying about the finer points of the English language.

For the most part I consider grammar rules to be a style choice. There are times where run-on sentences are actually really bad and/or don't make sense. Fragments that are confusing. But they can just as easily be tools of expression to convey the scene to the reader.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #347 on: October 02, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »
Several forum members have recommended Rothfuss's Name of the Wind, so I picked it up yesterday and stayed up far too late reading.

Name of the Wind is an awesome book.  Loved every minute of it.  Just got another friend of mine to start reading it.  Can't wait for Wise Man's Fear!  April can't come too quickly.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »
I just started reading "The Runelords" by David Farland the other day. There was a sign next to Robert Jordans book that said if you liked Jordans work than you might like David Farland and I think Anne Cobb or something like that. Im a little more than half way through and I like it a lot so far, so I guess Boarders wasn't too far off with the informative sign.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 07, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
I'm reading Snake Agent by Liz Williams, and I am loving it. I hope it continues as good as it started.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 08, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »
I finished Name of the Wind and I loved it.  I think my favorite part may be the title and what it signifies - there's something intensely stirring about the idea of things obeying you and helping you if you know their names.  (I hope I'm not spoiling anything here - it's in the first chapter.)
He ate my horse.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 08, 2008, 11:42:14 PM »
Just finished David Farlands RuneLords. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I had a good amount to it and a cool magic system that we dont even get to fully understand in this first book. I am eager to finish the series, too bad it will have to wait until after MB3 at this point.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2008, 06:34:43 PM »
I think my favorite part may be the title and what it signifies - there's something intensely stirring about the idea of things obeying you and helping you if you know their names.
I think that idea would appeal to me more if I didn't have children. ;)

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
Maybe you just haven't learned their deep names yet.  ;)
He ate my horse.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »
Maybe you just haven't learned their deep names yet
Aaaah, that's my problem.
Just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.  I liked it more than I thought I would.  I felt disappointed that it was over so quickly.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 10, 2008, 04:49:50 PM »
I'm reading The Magicians and Mrs. Quent. I found out it was due at the library and I couldn't renew it, so it jumped the reading queue. I'm really liking it so far, although it does some funny things with its tone. The first part reads like a regency romance while the second part reads like a mix of Jane Eyre and Turn of the Screw. I haven't gotten to the third part yet.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #356 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
Finished Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie.  Absolutely amazing.  The guy can write.  Into Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffrey right now.  Maybe halfway through.  Going to bail on it in a few hours though when I go to pick up my copy of Hero of Ages.  Will probably be with that one for a while.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2008, 01:19:29 PM »
I am reading Lethe by Tricia Sullivan, and am disappointed to learn she has only  another handful of books out there, because this one is really good.  (Didn't stop me from ordering two of the ones she does have off of half.com though!)
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »
Just finished Elantris. All I can say is wow. I have never been so hopelessly in love with storylines before, while at the same time being frustrated by certain things that were done. I love figuring out puzzles, but I had the feeling I was given any clues towards what the answer was. Won't thread hijack or necropost elsewhere (though my brain is tingling with thoughts), will just say what a wonderful journey it was and I sincerely hope we are not done with it. I know Brandon has said he will continue, but I never take anything for granted. Especially in light of such things as Firefly, Advent Rising, and Red Dwarf.

Currently have Mistborn and Academ's Fury on order (small town bookstores hate me). Currently reading up on how to operate Ubuntu because I apparently don't remember how to work Linux. Going pretty quick though. Like falling off a bike.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
Elantris is awesome, I loved that book so much. Im currently re-reading Wizards First Rule to prep for the series thats coming out on ABC in like 10 days or so. Im about halfway and its hard to believe I still love this book as much as I do.