Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 365815 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
Double post.  You people need to read more. I'm reading The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan. This is my first time reading it. The problem is I've heard all the complaints about what is wrong with Jordan so I'm noticing all of those things as I read. It's really irritating. If I hadn't heard the complaints, I probably wouldn't be annoyed by them for an0ther three or four books. As it is, if Rand, Mat, or Perrin comment one more time on how much better the other two are at talking to women, I think I'll bang my head against the wall until I lose consciousness.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 11, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »
Double post.  You people need to read more. I'm reading The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan. This is my first time reading it. The problem is I've heard all the complaints about what is wrong with Jordan so I'm noticing all of those things as I read. It's really irritating. If I hadn't heard the complaints, I probably wouldn't be annoyed by them for an0ther three or four books. As it is, if Rand, Mat, or Perrin comment one more time on how much better the other two are at talking to women, I think I'll bang my head against the wall until I lose consciousness.

Seriously? That is one my favorite little things in that series!
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 11, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
I FINALLY got around to reading Warbreaker. . . So I'm working on that right now.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 12, 2008, 01:06:54 AM »

wait what exactly did you hate about that?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 12, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
To quote Sam Eagle:

"You are all weirdos."

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »
Nearly finished with Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & TerryPratchett. Not sure what I will start next, hopefully I wil be as entertained though =).
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2008, 01:32:31 AM »
I am re-reading Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt. Which means I will be reading the other two in the trilogy, Night of the Wolf and The Wolf King,  soon after ;)

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2008, 01:38:49 AM »
I really enjoyed Good Omens. I definitely laughed a lot, and thought a lot of the ideas were put forth very cleverly. Not at all what you would expect from an Apocalypse book. Neverwhere is still my favorite of his works, but it might just be how much I could relate to Richard's character.

Just started Anansi Boys. Definitely feels like the same writing style found in American Gods, but I am curious where it is these characters are taking us. Too soon into the story, so haven't gotten a why do we care yet. I am sure I will be intrigued as always.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2008, 05:03:05 PM »
I just finished Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs and The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery.  They were both so much fun.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »
Finally got around to starting the Song of Ice and Fire series by GRRM and I am just about finished with A Game of Thrones. I gotta say the book is fantastic and I am very much looking forward to the rest of the series.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »
Lol at Sigyn.

I come back here way too often and find that no one else has posted since my last post.  So I don't put anything down.  Since last time:

Finished Stonehenge Gate (Jack Williamson):  didn't much care for it.  Story-wise or writing-wise.

Finished Warbreaker (Brandon Sanderson):  Probably my least favorite of his books (although the squirrel was FUNNY).  This one had a lot of problems for me, but I guess that's the breaks.  I'm guessing that I'll like Warbreaker 2 a bit more, and will think that it should have been a stand-alone.

Finished Betrayal in Winter (Daniel Abraham):  AWESOME!  Great second book in the quadrilogy.  A favorite of mine.

Finished Mister B Gone (Clive Barker):  Eh.  Not bad.  Could have been done better by scaring me a bit more.

Halfway through Rollback (Robert Sawyer):  Interesting but WAY too much told via flashback.  Getting annoying.  The main story hasn't moved a whole lot.

1/3 through Clash of Kings (George Martin):  Listened to this on CD.  Second time trying to get through this one.  Finding that I'm developing the same kind of apathy toward most of the characters once again.  Really want to finish it this time though because the guy's such a great writer.  Still, it ight end up in the same pile as the Malazan books.  We'll see.

Up next, Roma Eterna (Robert Silverberg):  This one's been on the back burner for forever, it seems.  Will probably get to it this time through though.  I need to.  Only four more to go (including this one) in my quest to read at least one book from each of the WotF judges.

Back to debugging my code.  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:07:51 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2008, 02:31:49 AM »
If you guys like Niel Gaiman, try reading Stardust, I really enjoyed it.  I tried rereading some portions of Eldest (by that Paolini kid who makes me angry), but had to throw the book down in frustration.  On thursday (tommorow), I plan to zip on over to Mcnally's and pick up the new Artemis Fowl (I seriously hope he doesn't make another one.  The first... four were good, but then started to deteriorate), and the new Keys to the Kingdom, Superior Saturday (Garth Nix).  I'm excited about that last one.  Keys to the Kingdom has been really great so far, and I can hardly wait for the conclusion, which probably won't come out for a while.  So that's what I'm about to read, I'll let you know what they are like when I'm done.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 26, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »
I'm reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan. I'm still not sure what to think of the former, but I'm really liking the latter.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 27, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
WriterDan, thanks for the gnooks recommendation (about a month ago - I don't check this thread very often) - that is one cool website!  It sent me to Dawn Cook, and I'm planning to check one of hers out at the library tonight.
He ate my horse.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #314 on: August 27, 2008, 10:29:54 PM »
Hey, I'm glad that you can use it and find good stuff, Sarah.  I just came across it on another forum by happenstance.  So I figured, gotta spread the love!  :)

Since last time:

Finished Rollback by Robert Sawyer -- Two main story arcs, neither of which were handled very well or very satisfactorily, imho.  Definitely some interesting ideas, and some good character building though.  Worth reading in the end.

Finished Clash of Kings by GRRM -- Long, long, long.  With very little happening that I much cared about.  But the guy can write!  Dang!  Glad to accomplish getting through it this time.  Don't know if I'll continue with the series though.  If I do, it'll be a long time coming.  Lots of other good stuff out there for me to read that is a lot more satisfactory for me.

Finally picked up Roma Eterna by Robert Silverberg again:  So far, I have mixed feelings.  The first chapters were great.  Kind of tailing off the further I get into it though.  Lots of background history that I don't need to know.  Doesn't even add to the feel of the milieu for me either.  So, we'll see where this one ends up.

Trying to hold in the reins on Before they are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie.  I really just want to jump to this one.  Quite badly.  Need to get through the WotF books.  Aaaaaaauuuuugh!  Four left.  Then I don't think that I'll undertake any goal quite so big for a while.  Well, except for my re-read of the Wot books in prep for AMoL.  :)  I guess that there is still that one.  lol.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.