Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311146 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
I'm sure the admins would love you for it, Sigyn.  :)

Picked up Heart-shaped Box by Joe Hill and His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik yesterday.  About 70 pages into Heart-shaped Box and it's quite good.  Really glad that I put The Burning City down for a while.  Will probably get back to finishing it after HMD.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
I just read The Host by Stephenie Meyer, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I didn't have very high hopes for it, and it was actually quite enjoyable.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Obi

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »
I'm, er, in the middle of two books, actually. 
The Running Man by Stephen King, which is just amazing.  ^^  I'm not very far, but I really like it.  I only recently started reading Stephen King, and I've been grabbing whatever of his books I can.  I wish I'd started sooner.   ;D
The other is Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.   I really don't like it nearly as much as The Running Man.  But still... I discovered a strange little completely hopeless romantic hiding inside me that squeals rather loudly as I read. 

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 10, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »
The Running Man by Stephen King, which is just amazing.  ^^  I'm not very far, but I really like it.  I only recently started reading Stephen King, and I've been grabbing whatever of his books I can.  I wish I'd started sooner.   ;D
The other is Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.   I really don't like it nearly as much as The Running Man.  But still... I discovered a strange little completely hopeless romantic hiding inside me that squeals rather loudly as I read. 

I must recommend that you read The Long Walk written under King's alias Richard Bachman. It might be my favorite book of all time!
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 10, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
The other is Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.   I really don't like it nearly as much as The Running Man.  But still... I discovered a strange little completely hopeless romantic hiding inside me that squeals rather loudly as I read. 
If you like King, I would recommend the Hannibal series.  They aren't by King, but they are very well written and in the same type of style as King.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »
I'm reading Queen of Candesce by Karl Schroeder. I'm liking it much better than the first one because it isn't about the annoying teenage boy bent on revenge.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »
Just finished Empire by Orson Scott Card.  It was decent.  Now it's on to Hard Landing by Algis Budrys and Roma Eterna by Robert Silverberg in my seemingly never-ending attempt to finish a book by each of the Writers of the Future judges.

Edited: spelling correction
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:52:45 PM by WriterDan »

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2008, 11:43:04 PM »
I'm into A clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin. Fantastic series, I recommend it so far. It is long but quite engaging.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #293 on: July 21, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »
Read Noise by Hal Clement:  decent.  Reading Three Hands for Scorpio by Andre Norton: kind of blah.  Have Stonehenge Gate by Jack Wiliamson next.  Then it's back to Roma Eterna, which started out well, but got trumped by some shorter books after I noticed how long and dense the pages were in it.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 23, 2008, 04:36:58 AM »
Shadow Rising. I'm re-reading my Wheel of Time. It's been a long time, and I'm amazed at how much I've forgotten, plus how things make more sense now as I've continued with the series.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2008, 04:35:08 AM »
The Shining - King
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams. I'm really enjoying it so far. Especially the cat.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2008, 07:08:31 PM »
So, this is really weird, Sigyn.  I was reading one of the posts in the Science Fiction gropu over at Shelfari, and I had someone recommend the site:  gnooks.com  Apparently, it suggests authors that you might like, based on three input authors that you do like.  So, I put in my three (Scott Bakker, KJ Parker, RJ) and Walter Jon Williams was the first name to come up.  His website looked funky though and there was a link for a free download of part of one of his books that didn't work.  So, I wrote him off.  Now though, I'm wondering if I should give it a try.  lol.  Crazy how this world works.

Currently reading Stonehenge Gate by Jack Williamson (like reading a novel in fast-forward...odd), still haven't gotten back to Roma Eterna, and will be picking up Rollback by Robert J Sawyer today.  Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham should be coming up soon too.  And I just added a handful of books to my "to read" list yesterday after reading Brandon's blog (actually, from Stephen King's acceptance speech of an award in 2003, but Brandon's blog indirectly...) and listening to the weekly Writing Excuses podcast.  Sometimes I feel buried by all the books that are out in the market and wonder why I have this driving urge to write and try to make it as an author, but then remember my opinion of so many of the books that I read, and that gives me hope.  Maybe false hope, true, but in the end I hope my efforts are worth it.  Only time...

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
Thanks for referencing that website, gnooks.com, it is pretty neat. I put in Robert Jordan, Stephen King, and Tom Clancy and it spit out Terry Goodkind. Which, I have to say, is pretty accurate as I have read the first two books in the Sword of Truth series and was thouroughly impressed with the first one.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 30, 2008, 07:33:46 PM »
I finished the Walter Jon Williams, and I would definitely recommend it. It was a lot of fun. Now I'm reading Jhegaala, the new book by Steven Brust.