Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311142 times)

White

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »
Isn't The Name of the Wind based off his short story? I just bought the book, so hopefully it's good, too.

I read his blog, and I think he said he submitted a short story based off part of TNotW.

I just bought V for Vendetta.

It's excellent. It's the first entirely American styled comic book I've ever bought, so it's exciting and I'm enjoying branching out very much!
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
I read his blog, and I think he said he submitted a short story based off part of TNotW.

Actually pretty sure that the story he won the WotF contest with was stripped out of the second book in the trilogy "The Wise Man's Fear".  He had to alter it a bit to make it into a contained short story first.

And, TNotW is an amazing book.  I loved it.  Can't wait for the next one.  Was pretty sad to hear that it got pushed back to a March '09 release, but I guess I'll take it whenever I can get it.

Finished the mags(Analog and F&SF) and Wotf XVIII.  I'm currently a bit into the Martian Race, but have set it aside to read "a mind of its own:  how your brain distorts and deceives" by Cordelia Fine.  Was suggested by Scott Bakker in an recent interview that I just read the other day.  It's a non-fiction book (so not part of my normal fare) but quite good so far.  Funny and very intriguing.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2008, 05:37:40 PM »

Actually pretty sure that the story he won the WotF contest with was stripped out of the second book in the trilogy "The Wise Man's Fear".  He had to alter it a bit to make it into a contained short story first.

And, TNotW is an amazing book.  I loved it.  Can't wait for the next one.  Was pretty sad to hear that it got pushed back to a March '09 release, but I guess I'll take it whenever I can get it.

Finished the mags(Analog and F&SF) and Wotf XVIII.  I'm currently a bit into the Martian Race, but have set it aside to read "a mind of its own:  how your brain distorts and deceives" by Cordelia Fine.  Was suggested by Scott Bakker in an recent interview that I just read the other day.  It's a non-fiction book (so not part of my normal fare) but quite good so far.  Funny and very intriguing.

Right, I stand clarified. Although since he originally wrote TNotW all out undivided, I view it more as one continued story than a trilogy. Which is good, because then it reads more as a series than a trilogy.

Critical difference there in my view is in a series, they're the type of things where you can pick up any book and start at any part and they're good even reading as stand alones (author examples - Terry Goodkind, Dianna Wynne Jones and Terry Pratchett). As opposed to trilogies which tend to be very Beginning, Middle, End. Which is why trilogies don't work as well as movies because people will always be disappointed by Middle Book Syndrome.

Again, that's just IMO... and kind of tl;dr    -__-;;

Uhh, and since I'm guiltily getting off topic here, I mentioned her far back starting the Quantam Gravity series ("Keeping it Real", "Selling Out") by Justina Robson and both myself and the first friend I've lent them to would *highly* recomment them and class them as being dangerously addictive.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »
I'm reading Singularity Sky by Charles Stross.  I'm liking it so far, but I'm worried it is either going to go R-rated or weird.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
Just finished Stir of Bones by Nina Kirriki Hoffman.  It's a prequel that was written after the main sequence books (two, I think).  Tough to read as the first book because it was mostly just event setup to form a character and not really a story in and of itself.  Had some points that I really didn't care for either, especially as a piece of YA fiction.  Almost disturbing.

Started reading The Burning City by Niven and Pournelle.  The character's names are terrible (MC is named Whandall, and I keep hearing, "Someone call the Whaaaaaaaam-bulance!" as I read.  And if anyone doesn't get that reference, go out and buy Disney's "The Kid" immediately.  Great movie.) and not a whole lot has happened so far (60 pages in), but it's semi-interesting.  Keep telling myself that I should have picked up The Mote in God's Eye for this set of authors (reading all the WotF judge's most recent stand-alone or series beginner book), but that would have broken my rule for picking these books.  Ah well.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
I didn't really like Stir of Bones but I thought the other two books about these characters were very interesting.  Nina Kiriki Hoffman is kind of hit-and-miss with her books.  Some of them I really love and others I just think are terrible.

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »
I'm reading Truth by Terry Pratchett, and I've also just finished the first book in the Twelve Houses series by Sharon Shinn.  I really enjoyed it, a good mix of action and politics, with some good characters.  I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 10, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
Currently reading the second installment in Goodkinds Sword of Truth series. I really liked the first one but the second one really doesn't compare. I 've heard alot of bad things about this book. Is this series worth continuing? I really hate to quit on it after reading the first one and a half but I also would really hate to waste the amount of time it will take to read them all.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #278 on: June 10, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
At the point in the series that you are, I'd suggest bailing now.  The first book was really quite good.  The 2nd and 3rd were iffy in my opinion and after the fourth things just take a huge dive.  Goodkind has some great imagination, but he starts forcing his idealistic philosophy mess way to hard after this.  Writing quality definitely takes a huge dive after that point too.  Really, I'd bail.  My opinion.  I've read em all.  Wish I could have my time back.  Was seriously a waste that I could have put to much better use.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 10, 2008, 06:33:21 PM »
I just finished a book called 'West with the Night' by Beryl Markham. Okay, wow, that was an amazing book. I should do a review on it or something... if I ever get around to it.

It's this girl memoirs from growing up in Africa in the mid 1900's. It's incredible and she's an excellent writer, I highly recommend it.

Oh and just to add to the umph, my friend picked it up at a library book sale... one of those gems you find evey once in a while.

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2008, 03:40:58 AM »
The Sword of Truth novels have all the potential in the world, and you keep hanging on throughout the series, praying that he may regain the his former glory. But alas, in the end your are slapped in the head with a large dose of reality..... The series sucks. I cant tell you how many times I tossed the book across the room when I had to hear about the sword leaving its scabbard.... My god it was like he had a page quota and had no actual plot driving words or thoughts to use..... so the reverted back to the old sword of truth. And come on... how many times can one couple get pulled apart, reunited, pulled apart, almost killed, only to be reunited.... rinse, wash repeat. Thanks for wasting my time and costing my money terry.... It helped my appreciate the WOT series even more!

And I am currently reading the second book by brandon sanderson...good read so far.... Hope he can deliver through the end.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »
I'm reading Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, and I'm really liking it. The atmosphere is great.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »
How's the reading on that one, Sigyn?  I haven't put it at the top of my priority list because I figured it was a translated version that would be difficult to read.  Have head lots of good things about that series though.

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
I just finished the second book in the Twelve Houses series by Sharon Shinn.  I'm still really enjoying the series and can't wait to get the third book. :-)  I also have Runelords waiting for me.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »
I really liked Night Watch. I'm definitely going to try the rest of the series. The translation is very readable, and I just loved the complexities of the stories. Maybe I'll write a review.