Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 346754 times)

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2008, 01:24:12 AM »
I am now reading "Great Irish Tales of Myth and Fantasy". It is a collection of really old stories from Ireland. :D

I'm hoping that grounding myself in these early myths will help in the writing process.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2008, 06:07:06 PM »
Still trying to get to the end of Children of Dune (keep finding things that pull my attention away from it), reading a bunch of short story possibles for this quarter's Writers of the Future contest (critique swap), and will probably read OSC's Characters and Viewpoint after finishing Children of Dune.  Then again, maybe not.  And I keep seeing "Rules of Ascension" popping up all over this thread.  Checked that book out today, and I'll probably get to it soon.  Maybe after Characters and Viewpoint.  :)  Need to read something by Clive Barker.  Started one (Imajica) a while ago.  Got 4 pages into it (very pulled in by that early point) and realized that I didn't have the time necessary to devote to the nearly 1200 page tome.  (Comes in two books, I only had the first one--600 pages--and then found out...)  Had to put Innocent Mage down though when I tried to read it a while back.  Got nearly 75 pages into the thing and absolutely nothing had happened yet, and the prose wasn't written well enough to keep my attention any further.  Azhev, you'll have to post what you thought about it once you get through it.  Wish I was rich.  There are so many books that I'm dying to read, but the Library doesn't buy them fast enough.  :)  Ahhhhh!!!!  Happy reading all.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2008, 12:36:51 AM »
Protector of the Flight and Keepers of the Flame by Robin D. Owens.
The Cipher by Diana Pharaoh Francis.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
Reading "Speaker for the Dead" by Card. Good stuff.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »
Everlost by Neal Shusterman

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2008, 03:49:33 AM »
Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

It's good so far, but I'm only on Chapter 3.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »
The Truth series by Dawn Cook.  I picked the first one (Hidden Truth) up for a light read and it was surprisingly good, so I have to hunt the rest of them down.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede and Erec Rex: Dragon's Eye by Kaza Kingsley.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #248 on: April 04, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
Just finished Escapement, and thus the Engineer Trilogy, by KJ Parker.  Probably the best set of books I've ever read.  Just amazing.  Finally got to Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians.  Like two chapters into that right now.  After seeing what some of the prose looks like, I have no doubt that this book just dumped out of Brandon's brain in a heartbeat.  Very fast-paced and funny.  The pace reminds me of a short story that I'm working on, and the words on those pages came off the tips of my fingers faster than any others have before or since.  Really looking forward to this read.  Ah, and I very innocently found the "last page" thing.  Was laughing out loud.  I wanted to see how many pages the book was (honestly.   I do this quite often with books and rarely ever read anything on that last page...) and there was that danged paragraph with parentheses around it, and I couldn't help myself.  Really funny.  And a great way to keep people from reading the REAL end of the book.  Hoo hoo!

And yes, Children of Dune is still on hold while I'm reading these others.  Character & Viewpoint is definitely next.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2008, 06:20:44 PM »
I've decided to read the Wayfarer Redemption Series by Sara Douglas. I am currently near the end of book one and it is pretty good so far...
You should read teh Axis Trilogy firstr (also by sara douglass), it explains a lot that happened before, and gives a unique feeling to the cahracters coming in, and besides, in my opinion, it's much better.  I liked book one of wayfarer's redemption, but the rest just threw me for a loop.  I think it is because book one is very reminecent of the other trilogy, while the others forge on to new things, which isn't always a bad thing, but in this case...  Just Read and find out I guess.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
I finished Old Man's War (quick read) and I've moved on to The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis.  I seem to be in a science fiction mood lately.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »
Oh, that reminds me, I need to read Scalzi's The Last Colony soon. Right now I'm reading Good Omens by Gaimen and Terry Pratchet. What an absurdly enjoyable book. so far.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #252 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
Through my full list from last post, and got through Three Days to Never by Tim Powers (not my favorite, but not bad), and into Cold as Ice by Charles Sheffield right now.  Going to read Ignition by Doug Beason & Kevin J. Anderson next.  Trying to make my way through the WotF judges.   Then I'm going to have a WoT re-read in prep for the final book next year.  Really looking forward to it all.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »
Good Omens is one of my favorites to re-read when I need cheering up.  Its not the end of the world after all.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2008, 01:54:27 AM »
I just finished King of Thorn volume 4, and this manga series is just amazing.  I'm not a fan of horror/survivor stories in general, but this one is great.
If I had any clue, would I be here?