Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311361 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2006, 09:00:32 PM »
"Secrets of Jin-Shei" by Alma Alexander. It stared out slow, but promises to become all complicated and angst-ridden. At least I hope.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2006, 06:39:21 PM »
Fifth Sorceress was a bit too dense for me.  The pages looked like Tolkein but weren't written as well.  So, I kicked it to the curb and picked up Runelords:  The Sum of All Men by David Farland.  Pretty good so far.  Mostly though, it has made me want to start working on my novel again.  Have Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (John Berendt) and The Dragon Waiting (John Ford) in the waiting.  I need to find a book that I'm excited to read, and want to get back to it when I put it down.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2006, 10:46:57 PM »
The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye. I needed my quintessential favorite book from childhood to calm my nerves and soothe my sorrows. It worked. I love that book!  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2006, 12:38:09 AM »
I spent about $30 of the money I had saved up for OVFF on books at the book dealer in the vendor's room.  I just finished Mike Resnick's new collection of short stories "New Dreams for Old" and I also picked up the first book of Rachel Caine's new series, "Glass Houses".  Next on my list is "Grass" by Sheri S. Tepper, but only after I memorize all the bones in the skull, wrist and ankle.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2006, 01:43:51 AM »
Just finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's a pretty impressively written book about a time period I knew pretty much nothing about.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2006, 04:36:14 PM »
Reading Doppleganger by Marie Brennan.  Pretty slow intro.  Not much going on.  Mediocre reading.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2006, 10:58:44 AM »
Just finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's a pretty impressively written book about a time period I knew pretty much nothing about.

My dad loved this book, which he read a few years ago. He still sometimes mentions it because the book fascinated him so much.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2006, 01:24:07 AM »
We're reading Lifter by Crawford Killian. It's an old favorite of mine, mostly because I want to know how to fly.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2006, 07:57:15 PM »
We're reading Lifter by Crawford Killian. It's an old favorite of mine, mostly because I want to know how to fly.

Whoa, I just ordered that for Mom.  She mentioned recently that she'd like her own copy.  (Isn't it fun?  I read it every few years or so.)
~금강산도 식후경~

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2006, 06:12:55 PM »
Reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt.  Quite good so far.  About halfway through it and still enjoying it.  Hallelujiah.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2006, 06:38:59 PM »
Yup, Lifter is fun. :)

I just read Realtime Interrupt by James P. Hogan (or something like that). It's a virtual reality novel, but it's not cyberpunk/postcyberpunk, because there's nothing punky about it. It's pretty interesting. One of those reality twisters, but a pretty straightforward narrative instead of being weird or Dickian. I'd have to say it's a pretty non-stellar virtual reality novel, as they go. Nothing groundbreaking. The cover has some quote like "the terror is in your mind" which is completely misleading--it's not a thriller. Still, an entertaining enough read.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »
The Dragon Waiting, by John M. Ford.  So, I've only read about 25 pages of this book, but it's written just beautifully.  Not like flowery words or anything, but just very well written.  I know that Robert Jordan is a sore point for a lot of people on this site, but Jordan said that Ford was the best author in the US, bar none.  Fairly strong statement.  So, I had to check him out.  Pretty good so far.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2006, 11:17:10 PM »
Read "The Cuckoo's Egg", by Clifford Stoll, yesterday.  Went pretty quickly.  Really cool book.  Working on "Lisey's Story" now, by Stephen King.  I finally get to go pick up Mistborn from the Library this Friday.  Been waiting for that one for what seems like forever.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2006, 01:51:59 PM »
"My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama"

I got it primarily because it's a live release with Joe Satriani, but who can say 'no' to a song with that title? Especially when Frank Zappa is the artist? If you can, you are clearly screwed up beyond my capacity to assist you.

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2006, 07:18:41 AM »
Chimera: I loved the Ordinary Princess too as a kid. My sister bought me a nice hardcover edition last Christmas.

Dan_Guidan: John Ford passed away recently, and I've been trying to find his Star Trek novels. I've heard a lot of people praise his work, not just Jordan.

What I am reading: Her Smoke Rose Up Forever, by James Tiptree Jr. - a collection of her short stories. I'm now on The Girl Who Was Plugged In, which has really hooked me. The Screwfly Solution was pretty riveting too, in the same sort of dark fascinating way I found Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. I'm trying to decide if the stories are too dark--I kinda like some optimism in my science fiction, so I have to be in the right mood to read these stories, but I still think they are well written.

Also just finished Maskerade by Terry Pratchett. He is as amusing as always, although this novel still won't be a favourite. Recommended if you are a Pratchett completist. (BTW, anybody hear about the Hogfather film?)

In the middle of Blindsight, by Peter Watts. Am liking it a lot. The characterisation is interesting to me, as well as the interwoven stories (the past on earth, the future in space). The character of Jukka the vampire is a nice riff on vampires without getting too cliche. Less romance, more predator.

.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.