Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311298 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2006, 07:56:50 AM »
Death Note. Guh. It's *fantastic.* Maybe I should spend more time on psychological thrillers like this.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2006, 08:18:58 PM »
I just finished reading Rusalka, by CJ Cherryh.  It took me a bit to get used to the style, but I really enjoyed the book, overall.  I think one of the most impressive things about it was how freewill--usually something I believe magic shouldn't be able to affect in fantasy--was thrown to the wind.  One of the main points of the book was to see what it would be like if wizards could affect freewill.  Very interesting.  Highly recommended.

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2006, 10:59:19 PM »
Reading: Huck Finn for English class. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one in my class who likes the book.
Wow, it's been a while since I've been on here. . .
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2006, 01:40:05 AM »
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Believe it or not I haven't read this book until now and I'm really loving it. Debating whether or not I should write a review, seeing as how most people here have read it, anyway.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2006, 11:30:22 PM »
I haven't, so there's at least one person that's a regular who's interested.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2006, 07:25:05 PM »
Just finished Melanie Rawn's new book Spellbinder, totally outside anything she has written before, so if you are a fan don't be surprised. It is modern day, and with witches, not Mages....whatever. I liked it anyway :)

Getting ready to start either Lions of Al-rassan, or Mistborn. Both are on my to read list, and both sound great, so I am not quite sure where to start. Anyone have any suggestions?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2006, 09:29:01 PM »
Hey.  Just finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King.  Decent, not amazing.  About halfway through Mistborn right now.  Hoping a little more action shows up sometime soon in that one.  I read Good Omens a while ago.  I REALLY liked the first 1/4th or so of the book, and the last 1/4th or so.  The middle seemed pretty long and boring to me.  When it was funny though, it was FUNNY.  Definitely worth reading.  I really like Gaiman's work.  J.V. Jones's:  A Cavern of Black Ice, is quite good.  Even if her 3rd book has taken nearly a millenia to come out.  Sometime soon...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 09:31:57 PM by dan_gaidin »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2006, 05:18:39 PM »
I just read Spirits that Walk in Shadow by Nina Kiriki Hoffman.  She's a bit up and down as an author; her good stuff is very good, but her bad stuff is horrid.  Luckily this was a good one.  The story was mainly character driven with the chapters alternating between the viewpoints of the two main characters, Jaime and Kim.  Jaime is someone having to learn to be nice and deal with the world away from her odd, magical, and sometimes very mean family.  Kim is a normal girl suffering from abnormal bouts of depression which Jaime learns are magically caused.  The two are roommates, and I really liked their interaction.  This is a semi-sequel to The Thread that Binds the Bones (which I love but which has some very difficult themes) and The Silent Strength of Stones (which I liked less well but was still interesting). 

Does anyone else read Hoffman?  I'm trying to find some short stories that deal with this same family, but I don't know where to look.  Any input would be appreciated.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

DavidB

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »
I just read The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield.

I read the first couple of chapters Monday evening, and it seemed kind of mediocre, so I put it down and watched TV instead. On Wednesday, I figured I'd give it another shot, and read a chapter or two before dinner.

I didn't eat dinner on Wednesday. I finished the book just before two in the morning. I still had chores I had to do before I could go to bed.

On Thursday, I read the book again.

You should read this book. But not if you have anything important to do the next day.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:19:03 PM by DavidB »

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2006, 09:44:13 PM »
I have read Elantris and Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson as well as his Warbreaker e-book.  I recommend all of them and I'm anticipating Mistborn 2 to be equally as good.    ;D

Last night I finished Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton, which was enjoyable though I hated the main character.  Far too abrasive for me to come to care about the character, Anita Blake.  Though I may try the next book.

On my plate to read is The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly, Dragonworld by Byron Priess, and Michael Reaves, and The Destined Queen by Deborah Hale. My daughter got Hale's book for me for my birthday a while back we will see if the cover which she liked will capture my attention within the pages.  Whichever captures my attention will get read first.

Kel
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 11:07:13 PM by Pterath »

Rukloph

• Level 2
  • ^^ Here's My Latin Excahnge Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2006, 10:18:29 PM »
I was reading The End by Lemony Snicket, but now I'm half way through Slawter by Darren Shan. I am soon going to read Bec by Darren Shan aswell.
Funkalicious,
Ruklin

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2006, 06:55:37 AM »
Currently reading the much touted "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. I'm several chapters into it and am yet to be impressed.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2006, 09:09:14 PM »
Well, I am amending my list, I just purchased Academ's Fury and Cursor's Fury by Jim Butcher.  I loved the first book which I believe was his first called Furies of Calderon.  The Follow up, Academ's Fury, has me turning pages like mad so I am hoping it follows the last one well.  If I try to explain it I will probably give too much away and follows some of the overdone cliched Tolkien framework that makes you want to groan "not again!" But, all the same, I really enjoyed it.  Butcher has fast and furious action and keeps you on your toes so to some point you can forgive the fact that the young hero is a shepard boy of no real talent.

I  also picked up another new author's work, Fiona McIntosh's Myrren's Gift.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2006, 10:38:27 PM »
I just finished A Shadow in Summer, by Daniel Abraham.  It was incredibly good.  Very well written, and an intriguing storyline.  Not all that intense or exciting, but a great story nonetheless.  I'd recommend it to just about anyone.  Now I'm trying to read Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sara Ash.  About 70 pages into that, and having some difficulties with it.  Her writing is flatly mediocre and the storyline is so cliched fantasy that it's killing me.  Will probably give up on it sometime today or tomorrow and try to get a new one.  Chainreading is down for some reason, and so I don't have access to my list of books that I wanted to read.  I might just end up defaulting to another Stephen King if it doesn't come back up soon.  He's usually good for an exciting read.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

lehea

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »
The Princess Bride by William Goldman.  This is the edited version of the classic tale.  I am SO glad it is... there was like 72  pages purely dedicated to the training of Buttercup to become a princess.  Now, normally I like unabridged versions of stories, but that's just pure torture! ~twitch~  Thank you William for editing to make it more reader friendly!  8)
weee!