Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311239 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »
I'm reading the fourth Snicket book...but I just get so bored.  I own 1-9, so I feel like I should read them, but they are just so simplistic and predictable.  I can be entertained by the narrator's wit for about 15 minutes, and then I have to put the book down.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 02:34:27 AM »
I'm reading the fourth Snicket book...but I just get so bored.  I own 1-9, so I feel like I should read them, but they are just so simplistic and predictable.  I can be entertained by the narrator's wit for about 15 minutes, and then I have to put the book down.

Man, I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way...
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 05:48:54 AM »
Sacrilege!!!

Well, to each his own, I guess.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »

Man, I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way...

Me too.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 04:11:21 PM »
Sacrilege!!!

Well, to each his own, I guess.

If it makes you feel better, Chimera, I'm with you. I have enjoyed the series thus far, although I admit it got much better once they starting really delving into the mystery of their parents' deaths, which doesn't happen till what, book 10 or something?

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »
I picked up the scent of the mystery in Book 5. But it is kind of subtle, even then.

As for keeping this thread on topic--just finished Gifts by Ursula K. LeGuin. Pretty good. It had some interesting plot twists and there were times it seemed to be heading in a stereotypical direction and she did something besides the norm (which was nice), but I wasn't blown away.

Perhaps that's my problem, though. Whenever I read her books, I'm always expecting to be blown away because it's, you know, Ursula K. LeGuin! I guess that isn't really a fair thing to do to an author, though.

So, I liked it. It was fine. But I doubt I'll read it a second time, like I do my favorites.

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 12:49:24 PM »
Well, I'm starting Mistborn: The Final Empire!
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

Atreas

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 12:42:29 PM »
Well, I'm starting Mistborn: The Final Empire!

Then you're in for a treat.  (Finshed it yesterday.)

Finished Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours by Jim Butcher this morning and I'm reading Stupid and Contagious by Caprice Crane now.  This should be interesting....

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 03:30:49 PM »
 I just finished Mistborn as well, and have started on what my dear, stupid brother would call Victorian Era nonsense.[My Lady Harlot] :P I'm just A sap for romantic Prince meets depraved Lady Of Society meets storycausing grandaughter-type stuff :-/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:32:25 PM by Kuntry_Bumpken »
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 04:00:45 PM »
Reading the book STIFF, a nonfiction work about cadavers.  Very interesting, and actually rather amusing.

Oh, and MISTBORN 2.  For, like, the seventh time.  (Sigh.  Revision is so boring.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »
Well I finally finished "Singer From the Sea", which was quite long, but a really really excellent book, which I would recommend to all the fantasy lovers out there, especially those of you who like it when people combine sci-fi with fantasy.  And all the women on here, since it's kinda geared that way.

Since I have tomorrow off I'm going to start "Six Moon Dance," after which I will have to decide if I want to continue reading books by Sheri S. Tepper until my brains fall out, (If they're as good as the last one, the answer will probably be yes) or if I should move on to something different.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 02:32:07 PM »
Currently trying to read Tad William's Otherworld:City of Golden Shadow, Dune (the original... for the first time, I'm embarrassed to admit...), and Needful Things by Stephen King.  Ah, and sorry if my last post was kind of spam.  It's not my website.  Just a cool one that I got told about.  Thought people here might be interested.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 08:07:51 PM »
On fuzzyoctupus's recommendation, I just requested Singer from the Sea from the library. I'll let you know what I think, when I get to it (I've got like 10 books ahead of that to read).

And I finished up the library's available copies of Bill Willingham's graphic novel series Fables. Very good--but also very PG-13. Willingham takes fairytale characters and puts them in a secret society in modern day New York, where he explores virtue and vice--but mostly vice. I like the strong, interesting characters, and the story has lots of surprises, and by now I'm so involved in the story the language and occasional nudity can't deter me. But fair warning--despite having fairytale characters, this is not for kids.

So I've enjoyed vol. 1-5--but the library doesn't carry anymore! And I'm dying to know more about Snow, Bigby, Blue, Red Riding Hood, and all the others--and where the conflict with the Adversary will go next. I think there's only one more volume published at present. Maybe I can track it down at a bookstore...

Atreas

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 08:16:36 PM »
'K.  Finished Stupid and Contagious.  Which was good and interesting in its own way, I suppose.

Now, on to Chindi, by Jack McDevitt.  I've had it forever so we'll see if I'm in the mood for Sci-fi/mystery.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 08:42:56 AM »
I finished Angela's Ashes ***spoiler: he finally saves enough money to move back to the US and have sex with a married woman /END spoiler***

Now I'm reading The Year's Best SF (the one for 1997). The William Gibson story sucks. Even for William Gibson stories. It's not even science fiction, yet they included it in a book that refused to accept Fantasy because it's just about SF. Stupid.

However, the story immediately thereafter in the book, "The Nostalgianauts" by S.N. Dyer is one of the best short stories I've ever read in my life. So, a mixed bag here.