Author Topic: Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors  (Read 18605 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2002, 05:15:07 PM »
I personally worry that any movie adaptation of Ender's Game would end up being too much of a kid's movie.  All the major characters are kids, and it would be hard for a movie company to sell the movie to a public unfamilar with the story.  Adults might not want to see it because it's all about kids.  Kids would probably want to see it, but, if kids are the target audience, it would have to be dumbed down quite a bit and the tone would be considerably lighter.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2002, 07:09:12 PM »
Jerry Seinfeld is making a movie/documentary about his development of a new stand-up act. It will have to be pretty dang funny if it wants to be funnier than the trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/comedian.html
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2002, 05:17:34 PM »
So Disney is planning on making a martial-arts version of Snow White. It'll have Shoa Lin monks instead of dwarves. Could this be a reaction to the pacifying of fairy tales?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2002, 06:12:46 PM »
I don't really see Disney reacting to the pacifying of fairy tales since they are the worst offender in the first place.  More likely, this is another entry into the current trend of remodeling classic stories and repackage them by incorporating this season's fads.  The Ocean's Eleven remake injected modern crime-drama sarcasm and attitude into a limp Rat-Pack project.  The new Solaris (also by Soderbergh) livens up a cerebral Russian sci-fi art film with big name stars and CGI.  Guy Ritchie is about to release a remake of the classic Italian romance Swept Away with Madonna (does she count as a fad?)  Mr. Deeds Goes to Town was repackaged as a lowbrow Adam Sandler comedy.  The Ring is being remade as a slick and moody supernatural thriller with much of the disturbing creepiness of the original diluted down to "for the masses" levels.  Insomnia was remade from the Swedish original with almost no change whatsoever except for casting Robin Williams as the killer (with Al Pacino playing the Skarsgard protagonist note for note).

Remakes are popular now like never before.  Disney has simply decided to capitalize by making a martial arts fairy tale that everyone is familiar with and that can capitalize on the high-energy martial arts popularized by Jackie Chan and the mythic atmosphere of Crouching Tiger.  Does that answer your question?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2002, 06:50:02 PM »
Kid, the question was a joke, perhaps too subtle, but an intended joke none the less. ;D
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2002, 07:22:02 PM »
See - this is why we have emoticons.  So people can tell if you are joking and they're allowed to laugh.  Especially when you're making a joke that could be argued as a serious statement.  Disney is not a monolith with a single brain (believe it or not) and I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are elements within the company that would like to distance themselves from what Disney's done with fairy tales in the past.  The retelling of Snow White could very well represent this sentiment from people working for Disney.  The company as a whole may also by trying to rework its image to stay competitive now that new kiddie-movie companies are stealing their business.  By retelling Snow White in a different way, they may be consciously trying to distance themselves with their "old-timey" reinterpretation of 1937.  I believe that this could very well be part of the reason they are green-lighting the Snow White and the 7 Shaolin Monks movie, but I think it is motivated in a more general sense by the popularity of repackaged hits.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2002, 01:52:31 AM »
If they want to do a cool martial arts fairy tale movie, why not Momotaro the Peach Boy? I've been waiting for them to do that for years.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2002, 03:40:14 PM »
It was announced today that Will Smith will be starring in the film adaptation of Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot."  The movie is being directed by Alex Proyas ("Dark City," "The Crow") and the script has been passed through the hands of several writers, including Hillary Seitz ("Insomnia") "A Beautiful Mind" writer Akiva Goldsman.  Personally, it sounds like a terrible mess and a travesty to me.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2002, 08:53:47 PM »
Just when I thought that there couldn't be any worse Hollywood rumor than Arnold Schwarzenegger talking about doing a live-action version of Captain Planet.....
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2002, 10:24:51 PM »
Please tell me you are joking, Slant.

The cartoon was terrible, WHY would they make a movie out of it?  Let alone a movie starring Arnold.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2002, 09:16:10 AM »
does anyone care that Star TRek 10 is coming out in a little over a week?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2002, 12:50:14 PM »
I desperately want to care about it, but I'm finding it hard. The commercials sort of look cool, but the 2nd Edition CCG looks cooler--and when you're upstaged by your own merchandise, you know you're in trouble.

Besides, with The Two Towers nearly upon us, I find very little room in my brain or time in my schedule to think about other movies.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2002, 01:08:37 PM »

*WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD*

the bad guy looks like picard

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2002, 05:04:27 PM »
That just ruined the movie for me...

They show that much in the commercials.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2002, 10:14:12 PM »
I keep trying to be excited too, but I'm more worried.  The sources I've read say that this is probably the last Star Trek movie in a long while.  I suppose that's probably a good thing, since we--it's target audience--are so unexcited.  However, the movies have kind of been a staple.  They just aren't earning cash, though.  Let's hear it for the market system....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch