Author Topic: Treasure Planet  (Read 6892 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Treasure Planet
« on: December 03, 2002, 12:34:37 PM »
Okay, I'm here to tell you that it is safe to see Treasure Planet.  I wasn't certain way back when I saw the initial trailers, but I took my kids the other day and they just ate it up.  And it was cool for us adults, too.  The computer animation is simply gorgeous at every turn, but especially when showing us scenes of stardocks and ancient galleons sailing through space (there is no wind in space, but so what, it still looked cool).  It had a lot of action and last-second escapes, but still nothing that caused my kids to hide under the seat (we're talking age 6 here).  The characters are fun to watch, especially the stiff-upper-lip proper British ship's captain (who happens to be a cat woman) and Silver the cyborg, with his multi-purpose robotic arm that can go from slicking veggies to brandishing a bazooka at a whim (with the voice actor obviously channeling Robert Newton,  Arrrr, matey).

While there is really nothing that is going to make this movie an all-time classic, it is still impressive to look at and genuinely fun.  If you are looking for a flick that you and your kids can watch together, this is the one.  Plus you can use it to motivate them to read Robert Louis Stevenson!

On a side note, they showed a trailer for the next Disney film: Jungle Book 2, the further adventures of Mowgli and Baloo.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I just hate it when they make a sequel to a classic Disney yarn that just doesn't need it, solely for the purpose of making more money.  the Peter Pan sequel, while not terrible in itself, has forever dampened my enthusiasm for what was once an incredible Disney film.  The additonal Little Mermaid and Aladdin films weren't needed either.  When will Disney just stop the insanity?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Planet
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 12:43:24 PM »
I saw Treasure Planet over the weekend, and I agree with you completely. It probably won't ever be anyone's all-time favorite Disney film, but it's a fun flick nonetheless. And yes, some of those visuals were fantastic. As far as Treasure Island retellings go, I'd have to say this was one of the best. The Muppet one still beats it out, but hey, it's tough to best the Muppets.

I've boycotted all egregious Disney sequels, by the way. I can understand their need to keep income flowing, but sometimes they just destroy the stories that we learned to love. Bad form!
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 02:02:54 AM »
Amen.  I liked the Muppet version as well.  No animated dog doctor or cat captain can compare to the awe-inspiring glory that is Rizzo Rat.  But..... Tim Curry???
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2002, 12:42:04 PM »
Hey - Tim Curry is awesome.

So on the news this morning they said that Disney has had to lower it's projected earnings for this quarter by 47 million dollars because Treasure Planet is doing so miserable in the theaters.  They said that it's a problem of timing - it came out at the same time Santa Clause 2 did, and that attracted the kids.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 12:45:53 PM »
A) It came out at least a month after Santa Clause 2
B) It's a freaking children's movie--did they honestly think there wouldn't be any competition if they released it at Christmas?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2002, 03:55:01 PM »
Treasure Planet isn't doing very well right now, but I'm betting that sales will pick up as word of mouth spreads. So far everyone who's seen it has liked it. That's bound to be good for a film.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2002, 11:08:56 PM »
I would imagine that Harry Potter would be much more damaging to sales, but they kept talking about The Santa Clause.

By the way, it's been a while since Disney had a big blockbuster.  Why do you suppose?

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2002, 11:27:02 PM »
That's an easyone.  disney has strayed away from their traditonal musical/romance movie.  So all the mothers that want to go see those are dissapointes and don't rush their kids out the door.  My mom hasne't seen a disney animated movie sence Tarzan.  And refuses to go see any if the others in hopes they'll go back to the beuty and the beast format.  I Pesonaly loved Emperors New grove and think it's the best Disney sence Lion King.  Even Disney (well some of the people in the animation deparment) agrees with me.  I've heard several people mention that in interview for ENG and Atlantas.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2002, 01:25:20 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I loved Atlantis.  I wish Disney would come out with more adventure oriented films like Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Aladdin, and Tarzan.  I think there is too much recycling of older films (as in the upcoming Jungle Book 2) in an attempt to pander to kids who have seen the originals only on a tv screen.  Unfortunately, there seems to be a pattern for what makes a successful Dsiney film: (1) a late-teen female lead character, (2) cute endearing little animal sidekicks, (3) kitschy song numbers, and (4) an over the top obviously inhuman bad guy who is irredeemably evil.  I would like to think that the kids of today are a wee bit more open-minded and accepting of new convention than they were way back when innocent Snow White shared a cottage with seven little men and nobody even raised an eyebrow.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2002, 10:18:04 PM »
I saw the movie, and generally agree with what has been said.  I can't see why movies like this one keep doing poorly.  Oh well.

Anyway, Disney has had some blockbusters lately--they've all just been Pixar co-releases.  Lilo and Stitch also made an okay ammount of money.  

However, I think Sprig has hit on something.  Disney keeps trying for a new market--which is good.  However, it probably shouldn't have been so quick to abandon its 'Princess saves the world' formula.  Those movies were all very popular.  The Lion King made them think they could branch out more, but the fans (IE, the mothers) just haven't gone along with them.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2002, 02:34:45 PM »
I think it's all well and good for Disney to try new things, as long as they put the same quality into it.  Atlantis was a fairly good movie, as was Tarzan, but no right thinking person would say that they were as high quality as Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin.  It depresses me a little that Disney has fallen into the same kind of slump that brought us Oliver and Company and Aristocats.

On another topic, I would like to say that I am one of the few people in the world that isn't enamored with The Lion King.  It was visually fantastic, but Simba was always pretty annoying as a little kid, especially when he sang his irritating 'I'm going to be a mighty king' (little kids shouldn't sing pop music), so I wasn't too sold on him as an adult.  Aside from that, I just thought it was boring.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2002, 04:16:26 PM »
is it too late to comment that grown men should not know the entire disney back catalogue by heart?
personally, i always hated disney films, even when i was a tyke, with teh exception of teh jungle book around the 5yr old mark.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 05:32:14 PM »
Considering that most of these movie came out while we were still interested in them, it makes a lot of sense that we know their names. I have to admit, however, that I haven't seen a disney cartoon in the theater since Pocahontas left inviolable scars on my mind. I've only seen one of the movies since then (Emperor's New Groove), and I doubt I could name the rest successfully, let alone in order.

On a similar note, however, I recently became intrigued with the next big cartoon release "The Wild Thornberries," because I found out that the three year old feral boy is voiced by Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. If my daughter was older I'd take her, but for now I'll just watch reruns of Jaws on TBS. (You know, I never think of Jaws when I list my favorite movies, but I've seen it probably fifty times and still can't get enough. What a great movie.)

As for the Lion King, it was good but Beauty and the Beast was still better. and Jaws was even better than that.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2002, 07:45:57 PM »
Well, Disney movies are often based on some past work of literature (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Treasure Planet, Tarzan, etc...).  Maybe Disney's next big venture could be an all-singing, all-dancing, Jaws.  

Roy Schieder could be disillusioned with the provincial life of small town Maine (or wherever it is).  Richard Dreyfuss would be the goofy sidekick - probably talking dolphin or something, and Robert Shaw would get to sing several sea-chantys about the fathoms below.

I think Alan Rickman should do the shark's voice.

www.robisonwells.com

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2002, 08:06:28 PM »
How about a Disney version of Jaws where he eats the Lion King and has Beauty and the Beast as the main course.  Jaws can wear a top hat and a smoking vest and he can have a little flounder with a derby hat as a sidekick.  What do you MEAN it's already been done???