Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 5042 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
James Bond
« on: January 02, 2003, 02:37:35 PM »
I saw Die Another Day this week, and I was very impressed--one of the best of the modern Bonds, and better than a lot of the old ones. The villains had some silly attributes but the movie didn't dwell on them (like it did in The World is Not Enough), and it did a good job of combining ridiculous excess (the killer satellite) with real-world factors (North Korea and conflict diamonds). It was nice to see a megalomaniac finally present a workable plan and a plausible motive.

So what are your opinions? Have you seen it? Do you agree? Do you (like myself) think that Brosnan is the best Bond since Connery? What's your favorite Bond movie? Do you feel that Bond movies are inherently flawed because they have to stick to a formula rather than try more interesting approaches (like The Bourne Identity)?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: James Bond
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 02:42:01 PM »
i think that the bad woman was cuter than halle berry, which was kinda wierd.

they are also bringing back halle berry for the next one or two bond films. which is wierd.

the film could have done without the car going invisible - that was pretty stupid even for bond films.  i loved the car chase though.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 03:16:46 PM »
I'd heard that Berry was getting a spinoff movie as Jinx, but I didn't know they were bringing her back in the next Bond. It's too bad they're using Jinx instead of Michelle Yeoh's character from Tomorrow Never Dies--she was way cooler.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 05:40:50 PM »
I had also heard of Berry's spinoff.  As far as the movie goes, I thought that it was one of the best late edition Bond moives as well.  I do have to agree with Entropy's disappearing car comment, though. That was just a little too far out there for me.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 06:18:27 PM »
Yeah, I'll grant you that. The invisible car was weird.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 02:51:02 AM »
I  have also heard about a possible Jinx spinoff.  But then we have been hearing about the Catwoman spinoff for nearly ten years now....

My favorite Bond film was Never Say Never Again, which really isn't considered canon by most Bond devotees.  I just really liked the idea that Bond was, well... old.  He's been around since the 1960's (where he must have been in his early 40's) and the idea of him actually looking it was a good one.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2003, 08:03:41 AM »
"considered canon"???
how the fisk can you consider a bond film to be "canon"? its the idiot fanboys gettign worked up again, aint it?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 01:16:46 PM »
Brosnan is great, but I still prefer Connery simply because his movies were better, Goldfinger being my favorite.

TNT has been running a Bond movie a night for about a month, and I've come to the conclusion that Roger Moore was not the suave and sophisticated guy the Bond should be - he was just a dirty old man.

Incidently, Ian Fleming always felt that Timothy Dalton was the best Bond (truest to the books).
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2003, 01:59:47 PM »
Entropy, is there any franchise of entertainment anywhere in the world that does not have a body of work considered to be canon? I can't think of one.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2003, 04:14:49 PM »
I haven't really enjoyed any of the James Bond films since Goldeneye.  They're alright to watch, but they just don't have the soul of the classics. I think Die Another Day is possibly the worst Bond movie I've seen. It's as if the writer had not ever watched Bond, but had heard about Bond movies from a friend.  

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2003, 06:09:56 PM »
I don't know about that; some of the Roger Moore films were far worse than Die Another Day.  Octopussy?  Moonraker?  They should have just closed down the franchise once Sean Connery decided to call it a day.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 12:36:37 PM »
I've heard that comment from a few other people online, Pleasington, and I'm curious. I'm not nearly the Bond aficionado as some (possibly you), so I didn't pick up on anything untrue to the series. What were some of the Bond heresies committed by the film?

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2003, 02:56:10 PM »
Though I do enjoy the majority of the Bond movies, I'm nowhere near an aficionado.  The writing just felt so trite.  I mean we all expect the typical Bond cliches (trademarks, some would say), but this movie really overused them.  The whole movie just felt like one big cliche to me. Then again, I've not been really pleased with the Bond films since he went  from super sleek spy with a little action to super action hero with a little spy.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2003, 03:45:11 PM »
I will agree with you on the "super sleek spy with a little action to super action hero with a little spy" comment.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2003, 05:48:56 PM »
As will I. Bond does seem to be more of a commando than a spy these days.