Author Topic: The Two Towers - *Spoilers*  (Read 9488 times)

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Two Towers - *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2002, 02:09:20 PM »
This scene is the biggest departure from the book. I have to agree that it never should have been included in its current form.  Secrecy is paramount from the beginning of the first movie when Gandalf tells Frodo on several occasions to "Keep it Secret. Keep it Safe."  Yes, I will grant that the ring could have taken possession of Frodo, but I don't recall this sort of confrontation (ie a direct stand off between the Ring-wraith and Frodo) in the books.  What added to the suspense in the book was all of the close calls.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2002, 05:28:40 PM »
regarding aragons sword, i took this from a FAQ attached to one of the three reviews someone mentioned in the other thread.

Is there any mention of the sword Anduril (which should have been re-forged in the first movie) does it finally make an appearance in the Two Towers? Is there any indication that Arwen is rebelling against Elrond to go find Aragorn and bring him the sword?

No reforging takes place in The Two Towers. The sword is not even mentioned in the movie. Arwen DOES NOT bring the sword to him.

Update: This occurs in the extended DVD of "Fellowship". In one of the opening sequences, Aragorn is shown looking on his mother's grave in Rivendell. Elrond approaches him, and they have a conversation in Elvish. Part of that conversation is Elrond talking about the sword Anduril, and how it can be reforged. Later in the film when Aragorn has need of his sword, you will see that it is indeed Anduril. I have yet to see "The Two Towers", as I am going to see it today, but I have no doubt that Aragorn is still using Anduril in this film.

Thanks to 'Pywhacket'

Incredible film BTW. loved the scene where aragon and gimli hold the ramp.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 05:30:00 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2002, 11:31:25 AM »
"toss me!"
"excuse me?"
"just don't tell the elf"

the best three lines in the movie! Second place goes to the dwarf women joke

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2002, 12:47:25 PM »
I don't remember Anduril, just Narsil. When does Narsil get reforged?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2002, 02:05:28 PM »
When Narsil is reforged it becomes Anduril...I think.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2002, 03:23:13 PM »
Oh. I'm sad they didn't make a bigger deal of the reforging, then.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

trekgirl07

• Level 1
  • ~!~ Supergirl ~!~
    • View Profile
Re: The Two Towers
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2003, 02:15:01 PM »
I have NEVER read the LOTR books...  I'm not the fantasy type really...but I saw the movie last night, and I thought it was really good!!  

I think Legolas is the cutest elf...   ;D  but that's just MY opinion  lol

Gollum was so awesome!!  I agree, he needs an Oscar   :D

I think Aragorn needs a haircut...   :-/  I don't see what Arwen or Eowyn see in him.  jK

My favorite part of the movie:  
Gimli: Why'd you have to choose this place?  I can't see what's going on at all!  What's going on??
Legolas: Would you like me to describe it to you...or shall I find a box?   ;)

"Your time will come. You will face the same evil...and you will defeat it." -Arwen

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2003, 03:21:09 PM »
Not to question your wisdom Entropy, but I am not following the reforging of the sword thing. As near as I can tell Narsil isn't reforged yet, but I have only seen TTT once, and I might have missed it.  In the special edition, Aragorn appears to only use the same blade he had at the beginning of the movie.  In the discussion regarding the reforging of the sword of kings, the only outcome I really got was that Aragorn didn't want to carry and use the sword.  Can you please offer some more clarification.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2003, 04:09:06 PM »
I have to agree with Nicadymus here.  Upon rewatch, the sword is the same throughout the movie.  I'm still on the boat of it being reforged in RotK and Arwen bringing it down.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2003, 06:16:03 PM »
dude, dont ask *me*. i just pulled that from a FAQ. i havnt watched the special version (my mom bought it, on VHS for some obscure luddite reason, but i cant be bothered yet. vhs sucks). ill admit that aragons sword looks distinctly workmanlike - its not fancy, its not pretty, but it gets the job done.

on the subject of which aragon chick is hotter, arwen gets the vote. ewoyn is a plump milkmaid. plus, those lips have more colour in them than every man, elf and dwarf in helms deep combined (not the orks tho... they cheat by painting themselves red.)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2003, 12:11:16 AM »
i saw it and liked it, but it was in no way better then the first movie.  which dissapoints me because everyone was saying it was better then the first.  the third will probaly be the best i thinkm just because of the conclusion.  Also i haven't read all the posts here so forgive me if this was allready discussed. but Golum was not that "amazing" to paraphrase 42.  The animation was good, but i've seen better in movies.  The only thing that sets him apart is his dialouge/role.  I don't beleve there's ever been that complex/serious GCI character in a movie before.  I realy don't think he deserves an oscer nod.  Manly because there are so many more talented actors out there, not because he was bad in the movie.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2003, 12:13:18 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2003, 03:04:37 PM »
I will agree with you, Spriggan, on the grounds that it is the most "complex/serious GCI" in I have seen.  But I have to hold my ground when I say that I truly enjoyed the performance and see it as exceptionally noteworthy.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2003, 09:43:39 PM »
I defy Spriggan or anybody else to name a CG character who was more believable than Gollum. I think you're just saying that because you yearn to disagree with popular opinion, but I'd love you to prove me wrong.

As for Eowyn being a plump milkmaid, that hardly seems like a bad thing compared to Arwen--she's the chunkiest elf in the series, and far plumper than Eowyn. But, as was said when the subject was brought up, to each his own.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2003, 10:57:00 PM »
I don't think that there is another "more believable" than Gollum.  The think that makes Gollum so relasitic is the dialouge, not the animation.  I know you people are going to scorn me for saying this, and i'm not trolling here.  But Several of the Starwars episode 1 and 2 characters were more complex on the animation front.  And so were the characters from the Final Fantasy movie.  The detail was much higher.  I like Golum more then those and think he is a better more rounded character.  I also don't think he'll ever get an Emmy nod.  The obvious reason is because he is a CGI creature so that huts him.  If a CGI character ever got a emmy nod real actors would have a fit.  They're all still nervious about computers replacing them.  Second, i think golum will be seen as more as a comic character.  true his role is important and serious most of the time but he's too comic in how he acts most of the time.  And that will hurt him as well.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2003, 11:17:35 AM »
andy serkis, the guy who did the movements and voice for gollum deserves a emmy or award or whatever.

Fellfrosch