Author Topic: Oscar Nominations  (Read 1695 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Oscar Nominations
« on: February 11, 2003, 03:37:51 PM »
http://us.imdb.com/RTO/2003/Oscars/

The Two Towers got a couple of token nominations, but mostly just technical stuff. Andy Serkis got nothing, as many of you predicted, and Peter Jackson didn't get anything except a spit in the eye.

Chicago and The Hours were the big winners, which everyone more or less expected. Catch Me if You Can, one of my favorite movies of the year, only got a couple (though one of them was for soundtrack, which it definitely deserves).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

Re: Oscar Nominations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 07:56:29 PM »
I was hoping to look at the list and have something to say but, sadly, I don't care about any of them.  True, LotR should have gotten more, but I didn't expect it to.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 11:41:24 PM »
I think that Chicago deserves the nods, it was well made. I just didn't like the movie. So much talent being wasted on such a stupid, contrived, overdone concept. aihsotg oiuea jhrfdsp ngfd
:)
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 07:38:07 PM »
Here's some interesting trivia:

John Williams is the most nominated living person, with 42 Oscar nominations. He's won 5.

Meryl Streep gained a 13th nomination, making her the most nominated actor/actress in history. Katherine Hepburn used to be the leader with 12.

Jack Nicholson gained a 12th nomination, making him the most nominated male actor in history. If he wins, he'll tie Katherine Hepburn's record of 4 acting Oscars.

France, as a nation, has the record for foreign film nominations with 32 (though none this year). Italy, on the other hand, has the record for actual foreign film wins with 10.

Peter O'Toole was named as a "lifetime acheivement" winner, but he declined and said that he'd rather win in an actual competition. The Academy will have a statue waiting just in case he shows up to receive it.

The five movies nominated for best picture this year also happen to be the most-nominated films of the year. This seems obvious, but it doesn't always happen.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net