Author Topic: This is not about Movies or TV  (Read 3968 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
This is not about Movies or TV
« on: February 18, 2003, 12:27:24 PM »
This is probably the most appropriate column for music news.  Have you heard that Johnny Cash has a new album out and that his big new single is a remake of Marilyn Manson's 'Hurt'?  I heard it this morning and it's actually pretty cool.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: This is not about Movies or TV
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 06:39:44 PM »
When Marilyn Manson starts doing remakes of Johnny Cash's music, THEN we'll worry.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 01:40:30 PM »
I caught the video to this the other day and all I can say is that Johnny Cash looks ancient.  The man in black looks three steps away from the casket.  The song is ultra-depressing, but what can you expect from a tune that Trent Reznor wrote?

Still, good tune.  It fits Cash's style well

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 04:33:48 PM »
I just saw the video today - I think that the video is extremely cool, although I'm not sure what he's intending with all of the cruxifiction imagery.  Seems very un-Johnny Cash.  It does seem very Marilyn Manson though.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 06:58:33 PM »
Mustard, is your signature a Blackadder quote?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 06:28:26 PM »
Yes, when George is explaining about all his tiddly-wink buddies that had been killed in the war.

www.robisonwells.com

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 08:00:59 PM »
Good call, Fell.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 09:26:38 PM »
What can I say? That's one of television's finest half hours.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 10:12:16 AM »
i didnt know blackadder aired on US TV. Is britain just americas funny TV show factory?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2003, 01:05:20 PM »
PBS (the educational channel) shows britcoms late at night pretty much every day of the week. A much larger British contribution to American TV comes form our habit of stealing and remaking your game shows and reality shows--things like "Trading Spaces" and "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2003, 01:56:28 PM »
And my favorite - Junkyard Wars!

By the way, I only really get a kick out of the later Blackadder stuff.  Third and Fourth seasons only, really.  The fourth season, however (Blackadder Goes Forth) was about the greatest series of shows I've seen ever.  As a matter of fact, I can't really think of another series I enjoy as much.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2003, 02:28:25 PM »
The early seasons of Blackadder were pretty good ("bring me the black Russian!") but Blackadder goes forth was far superior because the writing was more polished. The characters were emotionally deep while still being caricatures. The final episode managed to be hilarious and sad and stirring at the same time. I really wish they'd kept the series going, but I suppose they were running out of history.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2003, 05:55:08 PM »

Yes, Blackadder is one of the all-time classic Britcoms.  There is a thick paperback book out that contains the scripts for the entire series and is nearly as much fun to read as to watch.  There are a whole slew of Britcoms out there that are just far more entertaining than anything found on US television.  I grew up on Are You Being Served, You Rang, M'Lord, The Young Ones (which really has to be seen to be believed), Absolutely Fabulous, and of course Benny Hill.

I hope Rowan Atkinson continues to churn out quality work and that he avoids the potential career suicide of taking a bit part in a godawful AMerican film like Tom Baker did in Dungeons & Dragons.  oh, wait...... Scooby Doo!!!  Damn you, Doo, damn you!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2003, 06:43:16 PM »
I never liked "AreYou Being Served?", but I'm a big fan of "Allo Allo," "Red Dwarf," "Waiting for God," and of course the short-lived "Fawlty Towers." I also get a big kick out of "Bargain Hunter," if for no reason other than the host's incredibly quirky accent and enthusiasm for junk.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2003, 06:54:31 PM »
i am shocked and appalled that noone has yet to mention "It ain't 'alf hot mum". What a show. Its one of those things where if you try to explain it everyone just stares at you.

The last episode of blackadder goes forth has gone down as one of the best moments in british TV history. To manage to make a comedy of such heights that also had such a... non funny yet incredibly powerful ending is a very rare thing indeed. It shows how british TV evolved from monty python i suppose - MP never managed to be anything other than a silly show.

Red dwarf... what a show again. I adore this program. If you like Rimmer, try hunting down "The Brittas Empire". Its by the same acter as rimmer, and.. well just go watch it.

Oh and how come nobodies mentioned "Mr Bean"? Or "The thin blue line"? Both of those are pure gold atkinson  comedy.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch