Author Topic: New Fantasy Movie  (Read 2201 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
New Fantasy Movie
« on: February 27, 2003, 09:29:58 PM »
I just heard that Michael Moorcock has signed a deal to produce a live action version of Elric of Melnibone!!  No word on actors or directors, but it is slated for a 2004 release.  Does anybody out there know anything about it?  Has anybody heard anything?  Who would they cast?  How about that skinny bloke who played Lestat in Queen of the Damned as Elric?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: New Fantasy Movie
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 04:27:53 PM »
Is this from some book? I've never heard of Elric of whatever.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 06:25:13 PM »
There's also a Mechwarrior movie on the horizon, to be produced by Dean Devlin and (maybe) Paramount Pictures.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_article.asp?cid=37505&frame=Company
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 07:33:17 PM »
That's cool, but I still wish MS would let someone make a good Mechwarrior/BattleTech tactical RPG video game.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 09:58:11 PM »
"good tactical RPG video game"

I don't care what the license is, as long as somebody makes one.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 12:15:10 AM »
When I heard that they were making a Mechwarrior movie, all I could think of was Robot Jox, and I shuddered.....
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 12:15:05 PM »
Mechwarrior is an odd license in that it has a history of pretty good adaptations. The many video games made from Mechwarrior have all been impressive, and a lot of people say the novels are better than average pulp. A Mechwarrior movie couls certainly be very stupid, but it could also be very good.

The big problem I see is timeline: Weisman wants to set it in the current phase of the story, about the time when the Wizkids game takes place. Prometheus  thinks that part of the timeline sucks, and I wonder how many of the older fan base agrees with him.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 03:57:17 PM »
Though I won't pay it any compliments, I can't actually say the new storyline sucks since I don't really know much about it. To those who care about what has gone on before, however, it is so inconsistent (assuming that what you guys have told me is true and haven't left out any very important details) with all previous works that I get vertigo thinking about it. Unacceptable. (Which isn't to say it sucks...that's a different matter.)

The only audience I can see going for it (aside from the Battletech Heroclix audience, which I assume is negligible from a movie-goers point of view) are the fans of the video games that know nothing about the storyline and really could care less, along with the audience that really could care less as long as it has a cool opening soundtrack and big explosions. Sadly that's quite a bit of people, and it might make business sense for whatshisbucket to go with the new storyline for a movie. A movie from the old storyline might also hurt the Heroclix product if more people started reading the books and complaining about the new storyline...painful but true, I doubt the Battletech story will get a showing in the theaters.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster