Author Topic: Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets  (Read 7071 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2002, 12:04:39 PM »
Now that's an amazing idea, Slant--Baker would make a great Dumbledore. I feel ashamed for not having thought of that first.

So, any guesses (or actual info) on why they're changing directors? Columbus seems to have done a good job with the series, so I can't imagine they're getting rid of him. Maybe it's just because hispanic directors are so hot these days. What do you guys think?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2002, 02:16:04 PM »
From what I've heard it's going to be a different director for each movie.  I know Spealburg wanted to do #3 or #4 but J.K. Rawlings didn't want him to because she wants final say on everything and Speilburg well is Spielburg you don't question the man.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2002, 03:55:55 PM »
First of all, Columbus did not do a good job with the series.  The things that were good about the two Harry Potter movies were good in spite of him, not because of him.  He only ever planned to do the first two movies in the series because it requires working in England, and he was unwilling to relocate his family there semipermanently.

I don't think there's an explicit intention to switch directors on each film from here on out, but they may feel that this will happen because a) few directors want to become chained to a series, no matter how profitable it is and b) few good directors want to do all there work in and around London.  My guess is that Cuaron will do a good job with Azkaban (which will do well because interest will be renewed next year with the release of Book Five) and will be rehired (if he's interested) for Goblet of Fire.  There will definitely be a third director in by the fifth movie, though.  That director?  Peter Jackson, if there's any justice at all in the world.

As for Dumbledore, I had another good idea (not that any of the Dr Who's wouldn't do a decent job).  I think Jim Broadbent would be good - not as he appeared in Moulin Rouge, obviously - more like the character he played in Iris.  Or what about Sir Richard Attenborough?  He'd be pretty good and, now that James Coburn is dead, he's one of the only principle actors in The Great Escape that's still alive (Charles Bronson and James Garner will be dead before the end of the year at this rate).  

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2002, 04:58:20 PM »
Hey, Kid, do you have a release date for book 5?  It seems like we've been waiting forever.  The wait is exponentially worsened because after what happened in book 4, the story could go anywhere!

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2002, 06:41:48 PM »
Unfortunately, Book Five doesn't have a release date yet, but it is definitely going to come out next year (probably in the first half of the year).  In her most recent statement on the subject (Nov. 2), Rowling said that she was doing final tweaking and was "weeks away from sending it to the publishers".  If the publishers get it before Christmas, it should be a fairly short process to get it out into stores from there.  Rowling also revealed that the book is a chapter longer than the last one (38 chapters), and is much darker than the others, including a major character death.

The article can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv_film/newsid_2401000/2401765.stm

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2002, 12:11:27 AM »
The EARLIEST the next book will be out is July 2003.  Now that JK Rowling is pregnant it will likely be even later.  The latest info is that she has not yet finished the first draft of book five, but is close.  The name of the book, by the way, will be Order of the Phoenix.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2002, 04:09:24 AM »
she said the same "major character death" thing before the fourth book came out, it's getting a bit old

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2002, 06:58:54 PM »
Who do you reckon the "character death" will be?  I doubt it will be a main protagonist, nor will it be Dumbledore or Snape.  Perhaps McGonnegal?  more than likely it will probably be a minor  but reoccuring character like Neville or Crabbe.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2002, 07:00:10 PM by Slant »
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2002, 07:00:29 PM »
hagrid is my guess. hes important enough to make millions of kiddies cry in their lunch breaks, but not so important itll screw up the story in any way.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2002, 12:52:40 PM »
yeah probably hagrid, hope it's not hermi:-*ne
« Last Edit: November 22, 2002, 12:53:21 PM by Lord_of_Me »

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2002, 02:51:15 PM »
Actually, what would be a morbid but logical choice is Dumbledore. Yes, he's the headmaster and protector of Hogwart's, but how better to increase the danger to everyone than to get rid of him? Plus I'm sure it would be a heroic death.

It'd be a sad reflection of reality, though.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2002, 05:05:28 PM »
And then Richard Harris would only miss out on two movies instead of seven or however many there's going to be.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2002, 08:06:16 PM »
Hagrid might well die, but it won't be in the next book.  I think it will be one of the professors, possibly McGonnigal.  There is the possibility that it might be a character who is introduced in book 5 as a major character, but who ends up dying.  Here's a hint: if he winds up teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts, he's a goner.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2002, 06:11:17 PM »
Have you heard about this? Rowling is going to auction off a card printed with 93 random words from Order of the Phoenix, starting at $10,000. The auction will be held on Sotheby's which I guess is an internet auction place.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2002, 11:48:50 AM »
are they a chunk from the book (ie in order)
or random
if they're random they could just be stuff like "and, it, wand, harry", you know stuff that's in every book