Author Topic: Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets  (Read 7068 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
« on: November 18, 2002, 05:40:29 PM »
Ok, so how did we all like it?  I personally thought it was an incredible improvement over the first film (which was so slow that it actually put me to sleep).  Kenneth Branagh as monster hunter and media whore Gilderoy Lockhart was incredible!  You could tell he was having a lot of fun in the role.  the movie as a whole was much more scary than the first, with lots of blood and monsters.  Far too intense for anybody under, say, eight years old, but a whole hell of a lot of fun for older kids and adults.  I really urge anybody who hasn't yet seen it  to go and give it a peek.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 06:33:19 PM »
I completely agree, Slant.  Kenneth Branagh was absolutely delightful and I doubt they could have cast anyone more fitting for the role.

Also, I'm really starting to dig the "bad guys."  The Slytherin folks were always pretty cool (in and evil way) in the books, but I love how they're being potrayed on screen.  Alan Rickman as Snape was a highlight in the first film and I think that other than Branagh, he and Lucius Malfoy stole the show.   They're just so dang slick!

Anyone have any idea how they're going to film the next 2 books?  With the first two books being by far the shortest and their films approaching 3 hours I don't know how they're going to do three of four.  Four especially.  They may have to make two movies for that one!

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 06:36:51 PM »
I'm going to post a full-length review of it later this week, but I agree with you overall.  Most of the weak points of the first movie (the kids' acting, too-cheery tone, over-the-top-score, and cheezy CGI) are notably improved in the sequel.  I was definitely impressed with the improvements in set and prop design - everything has more of a dark and sinister look to it.  

I hate to say that the biggest disappointments were the script and the pacing, which surprised me because Steve Kloves is a great writer.  The script removes too much information, including the best clues about the identity of the one who opened the Chamber of Secrets, leaving the villain to do too much explaining at the finale, causing it to drag a little.  If they had shortened the interminable denouement by about 10 minutes, there would have been plenty of room to include the important facts removed from earlier portions (e.g. details about Hagrid's expulsion, Ginnie Weasley wanting to talk to Harry about something, etc.)  I'm guessing, though, that the way-too-huge finale was the idea of director Club-You-Over-The-Head Columbus and not writer Steve Kloves.  I am SO glad that Columbus is out for the next two movies - his replacement, Alfonso Cuaron, has a talent for depicting frank and realistic sex scenes that may just come in handy.  

Also, I wasn't a big fan of the long trench sequence in the Quidditch match, if only because the Snitch shouldn't be allowed to leave the playing field.  I am aware, however, that complaining about that makes me a total nerd.  So sue me.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2002, 02:18:41 AM »
They are not going to do a HP movie for next year: Prisoner of Azkhaban is set to be released in 2004, which means that by then the kids may very well be six feet tall.  From what I hear, PoA is supposed to be an inclusive film much like the first two.  Goblet of Fire is indeed too long to make into a single movie unless they plan to butcher it mercilessly.  I also like Snape.  He has that whole dry humored, too-cool-for-the-room, semi-evil wizard thing going.  

I've also heard good things about Alfonso Cuaron, although I'm pretty sure that his talents in directing sex scenes probably won't come into play in the Harry potter films.  Although, I predict that in the final Harry Potter novel he will use his magic to score with Britney Spears.  Hey, I just know that it's gonna be coming.

I'm kind of curious as to why they never showed the younger Hagrid's face.  
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 11:04:00 AM »
From what I hear, the kid playing Harry will not be returning for the remaining movies (he'd be thirty by the time the seventh probably).  Is there any word about the other actors?  Obviously, they need a new Dumbledore.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 11:05:25 AM »
I just hope they keep the girl who play Hermione.  She's super cute now and is going to be quite the looker in a few years.  :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2002, 02:26:29 PM »
Amen to that, my brotha. Hermione is going to be an absolute fox by the time book four or five rolls around. That kid playing Ron has got it made if the rest of the books continue the Ron/Hermione romance that Goblet of Fire hinted at.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2002, 03:10:23 PM »
You guys keep talking about Hermione like this and you'll end up on some FBI Potential Statutory Rape Offender list.  It's just not right . . . although I have to admit I wanted to give her a big hug in the scene where she was crying in Hagrid's hut.

Also, it's interesting that you bring up the Ron/Hermione thing, given that the new movie has put a different spin on things than is found in the books.  I don't think it was really a good idea to try to inject some kind of sexual chemistry into the proceedings, but the hug/handshake thing did exactly that, no matter how you interpret it.  What's the deal with that?

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 03:17:27 PM »
Jeez people, Emma Watson's only like, what, twelve?  You people are creepin' me out.  ;)

I have heard from a few sources that the new Dumbledore will be none other than Ian McKellan, who is known for playing.... ummm.... an eccentric kindly old wizard.  hmmm...  Talk about typecasting.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 03:29:07 PM »
I've hear that it's cristofer lee.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2002, 04:24:07 PM »
The most definitive information indicates the the part is not being considered at this time by either Christopher Lee or Ian McKellan.

Christopher Lee denied taking the role on his website, but it has crashed apparently, so the news can also be found here:

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036092899

Ian McKellan has also recently denied having even been considered for the part:

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1037127228

So, I guess that makes me a bigger nerd than all y'all.  It begs the question, however, of who else there is that could take the part (especially considering Rowling's Brit-only mandate).  Michael Caine?  Bwahahaha!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2002, 04:32:44 PM »
"Goodnight, you princes of Hogwarts, you kings of England."
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2002, 07:03:33 PM »
How about Tony Blair?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2002, 10:14:40 PM »
Yeah, the Hermione thing is a little creepy, but it's been menitoned by virtually all the guys I know who've seen the movie (and many girls actually).  She's just so cute!  Waaaaaaay too young, but she'll be a knockout when she's 20.  :)

Ehhhhh...dirty.  

Anyhoo, I've hear that Alan King (is that right) had some understudy who not only looks just like him, but sounds a lot like him too.  Last thing I heard the part was between him and....uh....someone else.

I though the Ron/Hermione relationship was a bit strange to put in this movie, though I think the seeds have been planted for it in later books.  Some of the people I saw it with who haven't read the books think Hermione and Harry will hook up, but I don't see that happening as Harry has another love interest.

Of course, he has to somehow keep himself alive to ask her out, which will be incredibly difficult giving the events in book 4 (the keeping alive bit, not asking her out :)  )

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2002, 02:16:13 AM »
Hey, how about Rowan Atkinson as Dumbledore?  Hey now, put the rocls DOWN!  I was just kidding!  How about Tom Baker?  He's getting up there in age and he's tall and lanky with piercing eyes and that hawk's nose.  He would make a much more convincing Dumbledore than he did an elf.