Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 5407 times)

Lord_of_Me

Re: Star Trek
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2003, 11:43:43 AM »
i've actually seen all of them fellfrosch but the earlier ones just look so fake

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2003, 12:23:22 PM »
Fake? I suppose that's a valid comment, but what does it say about Dr. Who? That looks horrible, but it's still some of the best doggone sci-fi ever written.

I agree with Mustard that #6 is one of the best. As I mentioned to trekgirl a few days ago on IM, I would put the top three as 2, 6, 8, in that order.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2003, 08:19:40 PM »
True, Fel, but Hollywood has never tried to do a lavish big-budget version of Dr. Who.  If it looked truly horrible on the big screen after a whole wad of money was shot on it, no amount of clever scripting would be able to save it.

Speaking of which, if they ever do an actual American version of DW, I'd want Jeff Goldblum as the Doctor.  Just a thought.....
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2003, 12:22:48 AM »
They actually did an American Dr. Who, and it looked really good but was kind of stupid. I can't remember the name, but you can look it up on imdb (as far as I know, it's the most recent Who on the list).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2003, 01:58:35 AM »
You must be thinking about the made for TV one with Paul McGann as Doctor #8 and Eric Roberts as the master.  It was almost universally reviled by true Who fans because the Doctor (gasp) actually got to kiss a girl!  I for one thought it was kinda cool.  It was supposed to be the pilot for an American made DW tv series, but it got so much negative feedback that the series was cancelled before it even began.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2003, 12:35:46 PM »
Yeah, that's the one. I kind of likes it, though several things just didn't sit right (like the kissing, and the victorian Tardis). I liked the Doctor, though.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2003, 12:49:49 PM »
I must have missed that made for TV "version."  Perhaps I will have to see if I can acquire a copy, unless it is not recommended by those who have seen it.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2003, 01:26:26 PM »
My advice is to check on ebay for a copy.  It is usually readily available.  If you don't want to go that route, then haunt hobby/comic/gaming shops, especially those that feature bootleg videos made from obscure tv shows.  Bootleg video version usually goes for $10 and you might be able to get it off ebay for as low as $2 (not including shipping).  Personally I think it is worth it.  i kinda liked Eric Roberts as the Master.  He was very different than the previous incarnations:  more of a "hands-on" sociopath.  The kissing scene was fine, really.  I don't know why people were so adverse to the Doc getting one little snog after thirty years of nothing.  It wasn't like he shagged her rotton in the middle of Central Park or anything.  And I liked the Victorian look to the TARDIS.  Oh, as per most American made productions there were the requisite car chases, gun battles, lowbrow humor and big special effects scenes.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2003, 05:06:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Slant.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 05:06:37 PM by Nicadymus »
Boogie woogie woogie!!

His_Crazyness

• Level 1
  • Don't look at me I'm a Monster!
    • View Profile
    • The Lacking Fansite
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2003, 08:52:31 PM »
Voyage Home was the movie about the whales, right?  The Movie about the whales what ever it may be and First Contact are the best Star Trek movies.
I ain't tellin' you nothin'!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2003, 08:23:48 AM »
Voyage Home was the movie about the whales, right?  The Movie about the whales what ever it may be and First Contact are the best Star Trek movies.

yes. star trek #4.
i agree - those are teh best two ive seen. ive seen many admittedly, but still.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

jamer_nimro

• Level 1
  • Hey gringo, check out my dingo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2003, 05:51:47 PM »
well as im a youngster and not a massive trek fan,  im kind of limited, but wrath of khan is class, the best one ive seen, first contact has the borg so rules and finally although  nemesis was crap, it was a good film to watch and switch off to, kind of action movie type, for god sakes i took me girly with me! though only after seeing some other awful film beforehand!
hey gringo, check out my dingo!