• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Oscars
« on: March 24, 2003, 04:11:49 AM »
Well i wasn't realy excited for this years oscars but I was very happy to see Spirited Away win for best animated.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Oscars
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 08:23:29 AM »
Will anyone hate me if I tell you that I think the Oscars are a waste of time even for people who glorify wasting time?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 08:55:43 AM »
Not me
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 10:57:25 AM »
Did you guys see Michael Moore's speech (Winner for Best Documentary "Bowling for Columbine")?  He went into an extremely harsh tirade about Pres. Bush and was booed by the entire audience.  Considering how most of the Hollywood types are against the war, you can imagine that he was WAY over the top to be booed off the stage.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 11:45:52 AM »
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine. A good read.

Also, the fat mans speech is in mp3 format here
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 12:07:43 PM »
Also, if any of you watched the oscars, what did you think of everybody's cryptic comments?  It seemed as though the presenters had been told in no uncertain terms that they couldn't be political, so they tried to say things without coming right out.  I found it extremely comical.  I also thought that Susan Sarandon (who is very Anti-Bush and Anti-IraqWar) looked exceptionally pissed off when she came out to present.  I can only imagine that somebody had threatened her with something.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 04:28:58 PM »
I cut and pasted this story from a list of Roger Ebert's past Oscar highlights. I think it's awesome:

Laurence Olivier won an honorary Oscar in 1979, and gave a speech so dramatic you could hear a pin drop. The camera cut to Jon Voight, in the audience, and you could read his lips: "Wow."

The next day, as it happened, I went to interview Michael Caine, who told me he had received a call that morning from Olivier: "He wanted to know what I thought of his speech. I said, 'Magnificent--but what did it mean?'

"Larry said: 'Exactly, dear boy! Utterly meaningless. I'm afraid I went up at the crucial moment and forgot everything I intended to say, so I just fell back on the old Shakespearean actors' tactic, where you mumble something about life and death and being off to Salisbury, and hope you can get close enough to the wings to hear the prompter.' "

So great an actor was Olivier, however, that he sold the speech convincingly, and his listeners, convinced they had heard something profound, demanded the transcript. Then they puzzled over it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 04:30:21 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net