Author Topic: Bend it like Beckham  (Read 1341 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Bend it like Beckham
« on: May 08, 2003, 09:26:27 AM »
Ok I read the review and I have to say Hunh?  Is it supposed to be a review of My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Bend it? No offense meant to kid kilowatt, but I get the impression that he likes and dislikes the movie (which is ok, but misleading). Unfortuanately the review reads like the back of a VCR tape.  

Comparing this movie only to MBFGW is a little asinine. I mean how many films have been made about a clash of cultures or gender roles for that matter.

The importance of films like Bend it in a world where the next biggest special effect vehicle is likeliest to succeed can not be easily reckoned.  Movies today lack a certain human element that this type of film provides, without being crude and disgusting, or ultra violent.  

I am puzzeled by several segments of the review but this one really had me scratching my head.

apart from the occasional inconsistencies in the characters. Jess’s family seems to be very volatile and very forgiving – they betray each other and make threats and cry but, a scene later, they are a happy family again. Kid Kilowatt.

How is that an inconsistancy, heck my family is that way.  Its not like you can pick your relatives. Sure you fight and fight dirty, but in the end your still family and you still love them.

So Im wondering if Kid really like the movie, or if he hated it. Reading his article it seems that he hated it but was afraid to say so.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Bend it like Beckham
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 01:20:42 PM »
I kind of liked the review, but mainly because I though MBFGW didn't live up to the hype. It was really more of a genre review than a movie review.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 01:27:35 PM »
Let's face it, folks. MBFGW is a chick flick, and it's the chicks who rave about it. Sure, guys are gonna say it's pretty good because it's something they could stand and they don't have to get too mushy (and admitedly, because it IS a chick flick, that praise is high indeed coming from a guy). But it's a girl movie.

Which is why I'm confused as to why "Bend it..." is necessarily compared to it. I really don't think they're looking for the same audience.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 02:23:39 PM »
kind what I was thinking Ehlers kind of what I was thinking.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!