Author Topic: Baited breath  (Read 8383 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: Baited breath
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2003, 11:49:39 AM »
Just as long as they don't have Tom Baker play another elf. That was just sad to watch....
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2003, 01:17:49 PM »
Wow, Slant, that's pooky. I think it was meant to be. And while we're at it, let's get the last British Dr. Who in there too, as another hobbit or something. He was my favorite Doctor.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2003, 01:28:54 PM »
"pooky"

???????

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2003, 01:47:01 PM »
Oh! Oh!  And let's get Warwick Davis to play Aescidinarye, The Litt'lest Elf!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2003, 07:48:52 PM »
By the last British Dr. Who I am assuming you mean Sylvester McCoy (Paul McGann, also being British, was technically the last British Dr. Who, but I know you mean the last one to play him in the tv series).  Sly McCoy could be added in as one of Bilbo's mooching relatives who are always trying to get him to part with a few pennies or some of his good china.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2003, 01:00:24 PM »
The more I learn about the Hulk the more apprehensive I become: he's one of my favorite heroes, and the movie just doesn't instill any confidence that it was handled the right way. I like Ang Lee, and Jennifer Connelly is hot, but is that enough to save the movie?

On the other hand, everything I see about "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" gets me excited to see more. I know relatively little about that comic (virtually nothing, actually) but the movie looks incredible.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2003, 01:12:29 PM »
"I like Ang Lee, and Jennifer Connelly is hot, but is that enough to save the movie?"

in a word  yes
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2003, 01:22:40 PM »
NO, no it isn't enough to save it. But the Hulk finally looks the way he should on the screen. This thing is a monster, not just a monstrous human. He's bigger than any human ever and he doesn't even share the right dimensions. While I don't know if it will be another Spidey or X-Men, I'm pretty sure we'll get a good treat.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2003, 01:30:43 PM »
Just want to add that when you watch an adaptation, such as these movies are, we're looking at another creators interpretation of the original. We're not supposed to get the feel exactly "right" except in terms of the feel the new creator is looking for.

Now, naturally that doesn't mean you have to agree with or like the new creator's vision, and often that vision can be due to a complete unfamiliarity with the original character/property. But I do think it means you should give the new creator a fair shake when it comes to evaluating what he's done.

So, feel free to be disgruntled with the possibility, I just wanted to add an intellectual element to why I'm still excited for it and to give you something else to think about in preparing for it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2003, 02:17:22 PM »
I got an A in my literature and film class in college--I'm well acquainted with the concept of adaptations.

Perhaps I should explain myself--the main thing (pretty much the only thing) that bothers me about the movie is the hulk looks like a cartoon. I have yet to see a clip from a trailer or commercial that makes me beleive the hulk actually exists. We have the technology to do stuff like Gollum, and yet the Hulk seems like a flashback to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" (Which, incidentally, still had better creature effects than either of the Star Wars prequels.)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2003, 02:56:45 PM »
Oh, well, then in that case, yes, Ang Lee and Jennifer Connoly CAN save it :)

Just kiddin ya.

Although, it can, at least a little. If you can get past the visuals to the feel. If you have poor visuals, obviously the over all quality is going to drop, but it doesn't necessarily mean the whole movie's going to crap. The writing/acting/directing could be incredible and make it all worth it. I personally haven't been bothered by the visuals I've seen. I like how it looks. So let me repeat it one more time, I'm excited to see it.

Didn't mean to imply that you didn't understand adaption, I just wanted the terms out in plain sight for the purposes of the conversation. Just so you know, I have a very high opinion of the intelligence and knowledge of most people at TWG.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2003, 03:09:50 PM »
I know you do. I was mostly just reacting to a recent conversation with somebody else, who was very uppity about the whole idea. You caught the brunt of it because he's not here :)

I'm still excited to see it, just very...'apprehensive' is really the best word. It could very well be awesome.

Does anyone else think it's odd that Hulk has gotten such a huge amount of marketing and merchandise, but X2 didn't really get any? They have Hulk breakfast cereal, for goodness sake, but I haven't even seen X2 action figures.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2003, 03:14:24 PM »
X2 has breakfast cereal.

Little circles with X's in them.

There was some other inane X2 food merchandice. I cant remember it though. Milk or something.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2003, 03:14:54 PM »
I saw X2 action figures at Walmart friday morning. The Wolverine is a VAST improvement over both versions of Wolverine from the first movie. Also, the Nightcrawler is one I'm looking forward to adding to the diorama on my desk.

But for the most part, yeah, I concur. I gots ta try me those Hulk Flakes (tm)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2003, 04:29:37 PM »
Diorama eh? I think your just trying to hide something of yourself there.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo