Author Topic: Reloaded  (Read 8349 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Reloaded
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2003, 05:21:56 PM »
Oh, I don't mind in the slightest that the joke was turned back on me.  I was going to turn it around again, but it seemed that people were taking it semi-seriously so maybe it's better off dead.

I don't know how we got on the topic of EWS, but yes, terrible, terrible film.

Back on topic, Reloaded is getting mixed reviews around the country, not that it will stop me from seeing it.  Roger Ebert, a favorite critic of mine since he picked Dark City as best film of 98, gave it a really good review.  But what do critics know?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2003, 06:02:25 PM »
Dark city is pretty good.

I once saw a comment that it was very nearly a lovecraftian film but for the really sucky ending (which ruined the whole movie for me... talk about lame)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2003, 06:41:47 PM »
Never seen it. I take it you suggest I should?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2003, 06:54:39 PM »
Yeah. It is an excellent film up until the last 10 minutes. Very moody, very similar to the premise of the matrix.

And there is lots of bald people. Maybe not a advantage in your (or indeed my) books, but i thought i would mention it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2003, 07:06:36 PM »
I heard a lot about it, and finally watched it this week. All in all, I'd give it above a "piss-poor" rating, but not much higher. It's a wonderful idea with a very poor execution. In fact, it really reminded me of the first Highlander film in that sense. I wish someone had gotten ahold of that script and said, "Wow, this would be GREAT if it were done right!"

Actually, I'm sure that's what the producers/directors who actually did it said, they just didn't end up doing it right.

Anyway, even after that rant, I'd still recommend it at least once. Like I said, it was a cool idea.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2003, 07:24:52 PM »
Jumping back to the post on the previous page, SE, if you name your daughter Rachel/Rachael, if you include the A in the spelling, be sure to put the A before the E. I'm figuring it was a typo, but you never know.  ;)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2003, 06:40:01 PM »
Since Pleasington asked, here's my non-soiler review of Matrix Reloaded: It was awesome. The new ideas and new characters are great, and the way it expands on the world just kicks you in the head with amazingness. There were a couple of bad CG shots, mainly in the big Agent Smith fight, but other than that it was a mighty fine flick.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2003, 10:16:10 PM »
non-soiler review eh Fell?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2003, 11:12:33 PM »
I don't feel soiled by the review. Do you?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2003, 03:01:36 AM »
Perhaps the review left a spot.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2003, 03:36:01 AM »
Having heard from both Fell, my friends, and a few online sources I have come to one conclusion.

People's opinion of this are all over the board.  Usually there's a some sort of general consensus, but it's strangely lacking here.  How odd.  Scott Kurtz of PVP went so far as to call the the most disappointing sequel since Highlander 2.  Fell says its good.  My friends say its mediocre.

Guess I'll find out for myself on Saturday :)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2003, 01:57:01 PM »
here's Scotts new rant http://www.pvponline.com/rants.php3 ...and it plays to my worst fears.  I may not even see it now.  Life of Riley guys hated it too.  If Penny arcade hates it as well then I'm defantly not seeing it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 01:59:01 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2003, 05:15:03 PM »
Tage and I had a long discussion about Kurtz's rant today, and we decided that, while we can sort of see where he's coming from, we don't really agree with anything he said. The directions the story has taken make a lot of sense, and make for much better drama than the direction he seems to have wanted.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2003, 04:53:17 PM »
I read his rant, and while i agree on a few points (the fights lacked the urgency of the first films) he was wrong to simply bash it out of hand because it did not do what he expected.

But then, it is not surprising that i do not agree with him; i regard Scott Kurtz to be a overwhelming arrogant prick who draws a exceptionally dull and un-funny comic.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2003, 05:18:19 PM by Charlie82 »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2003, 10:19:44 PM »
I like his comic. And he's right about a lot of things. Both of which contribute to his being an arrogant prick.