Author Topic: Animatrix  (Read 3259 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Animatrix
« on: May 31, 2003, 11:27:40 PM »
Just to let you all know, I got an advance copy of Animatrix on Thursday and I finally got around to watching it, and it is INCREDIBLE!  I have to say that I liked Animatrix more than I liked Matrix Reloaded.  It is coming out next week and I strongly suggest that everybody see it.  This is what all modern animation should be.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Animatrix
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 11:41:10 PM »
Is it coming out on DVD or in theaters? I'm a bit lost.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 12:46:58 AM »
It is coming out on DVD.  Look for it on the 3rd.  It will cost around 20 bucks and it is worth every penny.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 12:27:03 PM »
I'll step out as a bit ignorant. I don't think I've heard of it. whatsit about?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 01:27:40 PM »
Essentially, it fills in the gaps.

I have seen one episode; "Flight of the Osiris" which Channel five showed as a world exclusive a few weeks back. It showed how the rebels knew about the attack on Zion.

Other episodes show stuff like how trinity became a rebel, how the machines came about, how the man-machine war went and why it happened etc. Just basic backstory for the films.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 02:56:10 PM »
I, too, saw Final Flight of the Osiris as it was shown before Dreamcatcher.  It was pretty good. My connections too slow to dl the ones on the net though.  I've heard the Second Renaissance parts 1 and 2 were amazing.

And "The Kid" supposedly has all the backstory to the thd kid in Zion who is always pestering Neo and ends up accidently saving his life.

I look forward to the DVD

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 06:56:44 PM »
In response to SE's question, I believe the "Animatrix" is a set of animated shorts that the Matrix producers contracted out to various companies to use as promos for the two movies.  They were released on-line (though I believe some of them aren't available there yet) and are set in the Matrix world, but don't necessarily star the characters from the movies.  

The companies doing them are very high-profile, for animation.  I believe that Square (the Final Fantasy people) did one, as did the company that created Bebop.  Be warned, however, that they include mature content.  Tage has seen them all, and claims they include far more gore and nudity than either of the movies.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 03:42:55 AM »
Picked it up today and watched the first five of the nine shorts.  

This is a must own for any Matrix fan.  Not only does it tell the backstory to the War, but it lets you see tha Matrix through new eyes.  

It also really rounds out Matrix: Reloaded with a few of its shorts.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 05:22:34 AM »
I got it too, I'll have to throw up a review once I watch the whole thing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 10:44:40 AM »
Ok i watched all of them at work last night and I liked if for the most part.  half were good half were lame.  I have no idea what Tage was smokeing when he told us that they were uber violent and lots of sex.  there's a 4 second nude robot scene and as far as violence except for one short scene in The Second Renosance part 1 there's no extreme violence.  Only half of them have any type of combat and they don't go much further then what you see in Cowboy Bebop.   The Second Renosance part 1 and 2 are more violent, but they deal with the rise of the robots.  And most of the violence isn't that bad or gory.  I'll write a review and have it up maybe next monday or tuesday.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 01:38:46 PM »
Well I have to put my two round-abouts in. So it seems that the brothers W. were able to create for themselves quite an empire. I remember a month or so ago everyone was a little stand-offish about all the Matrix products that were coming out in such force. But now it seems that most have accepted it, or all will over time. I'm not saying that I want to see the Animatrix, or play Enter the Matrix, I'm just saying that wow, people can be really loppsided at times. And so ends the round-abouts of me.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 02:19:43 PM »
I have no idea what Tage was smokeing when he told us that they were uber violent and lots of sex.

*sigh*

Just for the record, I said they had more nudity and more graphic violence, which is true. That's all I said.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2003, 02:49:19 PM »
Tage, I wouldn't worry. From my experience, Spriggan has no standard as to when there is too much violence, sex, nudity, etc...
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2003, 02:56:46 PM »
Hey I warned you about Beserk.  I akind it to Akira's.  It just dosen't bother me.  That's why I made the cowboy bebop refrence, so you'd have an idea of how much there was.  It's not my fault you're overly offended by the stuff.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2003, 06:51:00 AM »
I will say, Sprig, that I found that one episode of Berserk I watched WAY more violent than any of the Bebop episodes I've seen.  I’m not certain if that’s the comparison you were making, however.

As for merchandizing, is it me, or is the Hulk the worst offender this season?  I went grocery shopping this evening, and couldn't turn around without seeing Hulk Jell-O, Hulk candy, or some other Hulk-oriented food product.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch