Author Topic: Yet more grumpiness  (Read 43643 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Yet more grumpiness
« Reply #330 on: March 08, 2006, 01:54:19 AM »
Apartment hunting, especially when you're about to have sinus surgery for a very good reason, is not a happy thing. I think I need to give up till later on this month. There just isn't anything out there, let alone anything good for a reasonable price. I think May and June are better months to be choosy in. Perhaps I should ask to extend my lease here one more month so I can find something available for June (my lease is up May 1, and I thought I ought to look now, but perhaps it's too early).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2006, 09:08:28 AM »
I've found, actually, that spring is a better time than Summer. Summer turns intoa  seller's market. Prices are a little higher. In spring, they've been waiting since LAST summer and so the rates are lower. However, you can't be as picky. Still, we've been able to find places that suit our needs.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 08, 2006, 11:06:34 AM »
And when we moved last, I found I couldn't even start looking until a month before the end of our contract. I tried earlier, but everyone told me that they wouldn't know if they people moving until then or what would be available. I would also see postings in the paper that would say, "Available now" so I figured if I couldn't move soon (ie within days) they wouldn't want me. This is not exactly true because the apartment I ended up getting had said "Available now" since October and I moved in in January. I just asked if it would be okay if I got the apartment for Jan 1 and they said okay. I guess they figured they'd had it on the market long enough that if they were going to find someone sooner they would have. But if I had asked before December, I'm not sure they would have said yes. Apartment hunting is an annoying thing! (Although I love my new apartment!)

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2006, 12:21:44 PM »
I've found, actually, that spring is a better time than Summer. Summer turns intoa  seller's market. Prices are a little higher.

Prices are already too high. I can't find a decent apartment for less than $100 more than what I'm already paying, and those are usually smaller than the one I'm already in. But I need to find a place that has more light--better windows and better indoor lighing, because these stupid recessed lights don't do a thing in this dark tunnel of an apartment. I bought lamps, but there's no good place in this apartment to put them.

So, I'm hoping some better deals show up soon. Perhaps after April 1--perhaps I shouldn't be looking yet anyway--but what if I were to decide to stay in my apartment? I have to give 30 days notice that I'm moving out. It's not the best apartment, but if it's the best I can find for the money, I might as well stay where I am and use my move-in money to buy more lamps or something. So it's something that worries me.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »
That's the predicament I found myself in as well. I wasn't sure if I wanted to move, but no where knew if they had openings because they wouldn't be told by their tenants until 30 days before the end of the month (since no one could possibly not procrastinate till that day of course). So I pretty much had to give notice with faith that I'd find something better. Luckily I found somewhere great that was bigger, better location, and only $50 more a month, but you never really know. That's why it's so frustrating. Decide whether you think it's worth moving even if it costs more, I guess. I hate that!!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2006, 02:23:22 PM »
Well, when you're on the edge of your budget as it is, that's not really an option. I'm wanting to move to find a cheaper place, but I'm not willing to give up the space to do it--I simply can't, with the amount of stuff I have (and I purge from time to time, but there's still so much).

I have been looking at places that are a little more expensive, because I have a raise beginning in April, but I would rather be able to pay my student loans with that money--that's what the choice will be, rent (and putting off the student loans a little longer) or student loans. Not a great choice. I do hold out hope, though, that I'll find something worth the money and perhaps even a little cheaper.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 08, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »
I went to the DMV this morning to get my drvers license switched from Iowa to Colorado. After standing in line for an hour and half, they told me that I couldn't get a Colorado drivers license without a birth certificate. No other forms of identification allowed. I don't have a copy of my birth certificate, so I just spent $45.50 to order a copy from Washington. In all the states that I've lived and had a drivers license, Colorado's DMV is worse.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 09, 2006, 12:29:58 AM »
Rats! Lost was OLD tonight. The preview they showed last week got me thinking that the new ep would be this week. I hate rerun weeks. >:(
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 09, 2006, 12:32:39 AM »
I lost a filling and have no dental insurance.  So basically I'm just stuck with a hole in my tooth.  Suck.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 12:34:30 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 09, 2006, 12:38:33 AM »
Ow. :( Sorry, Fish. I would say you should try contacting the dentist who did the work and see if they'll re-do it for free seeing as how filling shouldn't just come out. Happened to a friend of mine, and her dentist re-did the filling. It's worth a try (unless you already covered that route...)

On the other hand, I can recommend a dentist in Orem who gives a student discount, if that'll help at all. Dr. Barry gives a 10% discount (if I remember right), and he's a good dentist. Very helpful to me last year when I had to have a root canal before moving to Boston. Here's his ph# 801-226-0441.

Good luck!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 09, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »
UVSC offers dental work for the community at huge discounts.

Don't just let it go for too long (say longer than a month), otherwise the whole tooth will get infected and need to come out. I've lost two teeth that way.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 09, 2006, 11:25:35 AM »
Yeah, I'd definitely find out how much it costs to go to a dental school in the area. It's usually way cheap and they have instructors checking their work.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 09, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »
Utah College of Dental Hygiene
(801) 426-8234
1176 S 1480 W
Orem, UT 84058
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2006, 07:20:16 PM »
So down I could be a speed bump, if I were out of the gutter that is.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 09, 2006, 07:58:01 PM »
Yeah, see, I have no money.  So the hole remains in my tooth.  It doesn't really hurt, it's just annoying.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes