Author Topic: Yet more grumpiness  (Read 46625 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Yet more grumpiness
« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2006, 11:04:17 PM »
I'm grumpy because the people upstairs have company, and more people means it's warmer than normal upstairs--and they turn down the thermostat to compensate. In other words, it's darn cold in my apartment.

I want my own thermostat, thankyouverymuch.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2006, 05:06:50 AM »
I just lost three pages of very good writing. I had a great scene going, and I had all the imagery just the way I wanted it, and then Microsoft Works decides that it wants to try having an error out, just for kicks, and it closes. Without saving. Awesome.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »
Microsoft is evil. I had the same thing happen at work a couple of weeks ago, so here's a sympathy Aaaargh!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »
I want my own thermostat, thankyouverymuch.

Ugh. It's no fun to be cold in your own house.

My parents have a similar problem. The thermostat in their duplex is really weird. The upper level stays at the right temp, but the lower level is always quite a bit colder.

Actually, they got so sick of freezing downstairs that, for Christmas, "Santa" brought this Presto Heat Dish thing. $56. It's sooo nice. Radiant heat so you can feel it from far away. Low energy (so not a lot of $ for energy to run it). Also very safe. I don't know, maybe you'd like it, too.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2006, 08:59:34 AM »
I'm grumpy because so many people have their heads up their butts.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »
The Lost One wrote:

I hate cars. They are nothing but money sucking machines. If I didn't need one to get around I wouldn't have one. This week alone I had to have to oil pan, a CV boot and front axil replaced (for which I paid a mechanic huge amounts of money to do something that I could have done myself if I had the tools). I also replaced the windshield wipers and will probably replace the headlights (no expensive mechanic needed) next week. My brakes are also wearying down and I learned today that my calipers are rusted and will need to be replaced (which is expensive whether I do it my self or have it done by a mechanic).  
Why can't a car be built so that it don't need to be repaired all the time? Or maybe my problem is that I drive a vehicle that is starting to show its age/mileage.
I miss being able to ride the bus.

I take it back. Please, stop that grinding nose. Don't die on me car. The rental car means nothing to me. I need you, I need you. Please, don't die.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2006, 11:15:01 PM »
Both of our cars are currently dead. Kid you not.  Tomorrow I go to take one to the level 17 cleric, er, auto mechanic in hopes of revival.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:15:18 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2006, 12:12:35 AM »
Wow, that's a horrible double whammy. :(
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2006, 12:53:31 AM »
This winter is now the winter of the dead cars.

Sorry to hear that, fuzzy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2006, 09:18:40 AM »
I'm grumpy because politicians are evil, Ralph Nader needs to be burned at the stake, and the FDA is a bunch of prats.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2006, 05:18:53 PM »
I have another group of folks who deserve some incendiary consequences: the managers of the Orem Kmart.

After 2 and 1/2 years working at Kmart, my brother, Cory, and three other full-time managers were part of a "workforce reduction" today. >:( He worked so hard for those $#%&*@ people--even has to see an orthopedic surgeon for hurting his rotator cuff while on the job. And then they fire him! No warning, either. Grrrrr!
--Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2006, 09:26:58 PM »
At least they waited until after Christmas.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »
Yeah, I suppose. Though I have a feeling that the timing was less about sparing workers' feelings and more about having enough help for the holiday rush... Oh, well. At least he seems to be taking it rather well.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2006, 10:31:21 AM »
I'm grumpy because while I'm clearly better than most of the kids less than half my age with whom I played vollyball last night, I'm willing to bet none of them hurt as much as I do right now.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2006, 12:55:52 PM »
Update on the cars.  
The van's still out of commission. It will cost $600 to fix, and we really don't have that right now.  We may try to make do without it for right now, which is probably the smartest thing to do with our current situation.
The car decided, (after almost a week of sitting in the driveway) to start up while we were troubleshooting with our mechanic friend. It's not the battery he figures, since sitting there in the cold for a week shouldn't make a dead battery come back. Thinks it *could* be the starter going bad, but we replaced that a year and a half ago and didn't make the clicking noise that a faulty starter makes.  So we just have to wait until it stops running again and strands us somewhere and then find out what's not working.  Grr.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:59:04 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan