Author Topic: Pride and Prejudice: A latter day movie  (Read 6458 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Pride and Prejudice: A latter day movie
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2003, 07:34:00 PM »
Whenever you guys show up to pick me up.   ;D
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2003, 08:00:27 PM »
That makes sense.  So I guess I'll be heading over whenever Izzy comes to pick me up. :)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2003, 09:11:32 PM »
Go find out where she is- we're going to need to leave pretty soon.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2003, 09:18:28 PM »
She just called.  She *just* got home, so she's grabbing a quick bite to eat, then we'll be on our way. See you soon.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2003, 01:02:44 AM »
My roommates and I just watched the trailer and checked out the reviews. Looks like it's getting some really good reviews. Variety and Box Office magazine are both giving it quite good reviews and say it's the best of the LDS genre so far, with great crossover potential. From the looks of the trailer, I'm excited to see it. So maybe with all the good reviews, it'll get some wider exposure--and make it to Boston. Do tell what you thought of it, girls.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2003, 12:42:16 AM »
So we went to see the movie last night.  It had a lot more Mormon-ness in it than I'd been lead to believe, (which makes me wonder even MORE what Askmen.com was doing reviewing it...  But that's neither here nor there.)

The general consensus seems to be "it didn't suck like I was afraid it would."  I wish it would have tried just a *little* harder to be professional and less to be Mormon.  It wasn't things that would seem obvious that were bad - the scene in sacrament meeting, for example, was excellent.  But say, Collins' proposal was BAD.  I felt like I was watching Final Cut, and just wanted it to be over.

My biggest complaint overall though is that they needed better cinematography- some of the camera angles were horrific.  The last big scene, the "first kiss, yay happy ending scene," I was terribly stricken with how bad the camera angles were.  And I'm not a film person normally- it's like computer animation for me:  If I of all people notice it, it's REALLY BAD.

But that is part of what comes with having a small budget to work with I guess.  This movie shows that as long as the people behind the camera get brains and some creativity, instead of thinking that Mormon-ads are great movie material, that the "mormon movie" genre could actually be good someday.  Apart from that, as a movie it's a good chick flick, and it's an even better BYU co-ed chick flick.   If you've ever been at BYU, you will be amused at how well the characters of Austen work with the characters of the Y - you'll recognize almost everyone in there from Austen as well as from your real life.

And we laughed a lot.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2003, 11:46:13 AM »
Yes. Better than I thought it would be is very true. However, I found the ending highly disapointing. At least the "they kiss--yeah! happy ending" bit. Maybe it was do to the unnatural camera angles, but I think mostly it was just hyperbolic.

Too much PINK!! Though the "Pink Bible" was an interesting story device.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2003, 01:47:01 PM »
Yes, having seen the movie instead of just the trailers, the amount of pink used is completely unnecessary.  The pink had no bearing on the plot or the story whatsoever and it was totally not neede to establish the characters of the two sisters.  They could have just had the Pink Bible be the "stand out" thing- and it would have stood out a lot more if there wasn't so much pink in their apartment.

Also, that house looked really familiar to me.  Can anyone find out where they shot it?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 01:48:01 PM by fuzzyoctopus »