Author Topic: SPIDER-MAN 2!  (Read 10175 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: SPIDER-MAN 2!
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2003, 10:01:10 PM »
Yes you should see Gattaca. Then you can go see Spider-man 2.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2003, 10:05:08 PM »
*tries to remember how the two were connected in the first place*

I'm sure I'll see Spiderman 2.  I think we've decided to make it a point to support this new wave of comic book-movies.  Well, except for LXG.  We didnt' see that one, and heard we didn't miss much.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2003, 10:09:25 PM »
/me moves Fuzzy's marker into his "good side" column.

Trying to get a copy of Condorman on DVD for under $60 is a pain in the butt, but otherwise, I've got a nice collection of superhero movies. It's nice to see the genre finally being done well in places other than the 4-color monthly format.

Still, despite never seeing even a halfway decent superhero novel, I'm convinced it can be done.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 10:10:10 PM by SaintEhlers »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2003, 10:53:52 PM »
SE:  The mark of a true gentleman debater is the ability to admit that your argument was hasty.  It's certainly something I have trouble with sometimes.  Good show.  You know, I would be interested to see someone write a good superhero book.  You should give it a shot once you're established.

Fuzzy: I would recommend the movie--however, it has been established that I am hardly unbiased.  I would put it in my top-ten movies of the 90's.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2003, 11:45:32 PM »
i know this is a little late, but I have been too busy to post lately, so here is my opinion of all the gals being discussed lately:

Kirsten Dunst:  I agree with Mr. P, she is not in the least bit appealing.  She is a good actress, but she is just odd looking.  SHe looks like her mom and dad were brother and sister.

Natalie Portman:  She just gets more beautiful every year.  Hot with a capital H, and a great actress.  My favorite Natalie Portman movie is still Leon (one of my all time favorite films), quite a few years before she grew into a sex symbol.

Keira Knightly:  Does for corsets what Betty Grable did for fishnets.  She built a career on resembling Natalie Portman (she was the queen's double in Phantom Menace), but has now finally stepped out of Natalie's well-proportioned shadow and into her own light.  SHe has signed on to do the sequel to PotC, so I look forward to seeing more of this babelicious new star.

Nicole Kidman:  Sorry, but she looke like a horse's back end.  No looks, no talent, and no taste in men.  She is just a gold-digger.

And please let me add my own opinion to the list:  Jessica Alba!  Now that Angelina Jolie is 28 and getting older, Jessica (a wise and worldly 21) has replaced her at the top of my list.  Cute, athletic, and talented.  What's not to like?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2003, 01:14:51 AM »
"28 and getting older"?! Yeah, 28 is sooo old.  :P

And Slant, thanks for clearing up that Keira Knightley was the princess's double in SW1--I always wondered how they did that, and whenever I've seen Keira in other things I think I'm seeing Natalie Portman and feel very confused. Now I know why.

I'm surprised that Condorman's been put on DVD at all, Saint. It's one of those that's pretty much impossible to find on video, I thought. There are a couple of movies that I want badly to find on DVD, too, but even finding them on video is hard. They're Cary Grant movies mainly--My Favorite Wife is my favorite Cary Grant movie, hands down, and I've never been able to find it. There's also Bringing Up Baby and Meet Me In St. Louis (which is Judy Garland, not Cary Grant, but oh well).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2003, 09:06:13 AM »
Condorman (also readily available on half.com, ebay, and amazon's used materials area). I can easily find DVD versions for sale, but on amazon the best price is like $70. On ebay you have to bid and it's going just a little higher than I'm willing to pay.

Cary Grant films  There's no "My Favorite Wife" but there is Dream Wife co-starring Deborah Kerr about marrying an Arabian Princess dedicated to serving men. Would this be what you're looking for?

Just to make it easy on you, here's Bringing up Baby and Meet me in St. Louis

and for my next trick.....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 09:07:10 AM by SaintEhlers »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2003, 10:04:53 AM »
Nope. It's My Favorite Wife, with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. The wife is lost at sea, and 7 years later Cary Grant has her declared dead so he can marry again, and the wife returns that very same day. Comedy ensues.

And those others are on video, yes--not the easiest to find, but yes, available. (Well, you found them much easier than I did.) But I want them on DVD. There's the rub. I don't think they've been put on DVD yet.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2003, 07:33:39 PM »
Yes - see it.  It's not just about pursuing one's dreams.  For me it's the whole human vs. technology (although the technology is human, interestingly enough.)  It's a sci-fi John Henry for me.  It also imo makes excellent use of symbolism.

And other well done scenes besides climbing the starirs and "I didn't save anything for the trip back" (which I thought was great)?  Escaping the restaurant, waking up at her place/at the beach, both scenes where they offer hair, when Jerome explains his medal, towards the end when Jerome is home bored.  And the last urine sample - I wanted to cheer.

That sounds strange, wanting to cheer about a urine sample.  Oh well.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2003, 07:38:44 PM »
My favorite Natalie Portman movie is still Leon (one of my all time favorite films), quite a few years before she grew into a sex symbol.

Wasn't Leon the title in French?  In the USA I believe it was released as The Professional.  And yes, excellent movie.  Jean Reno, Natalie Portman, and an oh-so-creepy Gary Oldman.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2003, 08:40:49 PM »
It was released as Leon here. Great film.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2003, 09:56:55 PM »
see, Kije, at least half of those scenes you mentioned didn't do it for me. No tension. i just didn't feel the director and the actors did them well..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 09:57:12 PM by SaintEhlers »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2003, 05:33:30 AM »
The Profesional is a great movie, just make sure to see the uncut European version (for those of you that are stateside and Birits, who got the same US edited version originaly).  Natalie Portman signed on to do a sequal that focuses on her chatacter as a hitman about 15 years later.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 05:35:29 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2003, 09:14:49 AM »
Whats different about the edited us version?

And when was this contract signed? Soon after they did the first one, or only recently? I don't think Leon is 15 years old now...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »
There's 24 new minutes in the unedited version, Titled Leon-The Professional.  She signed the contract last year or the beginning of this year, can't remember wich.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.