Author Topic: Return of the King *SPOILERS*  (Read 10988 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Return of the King *SPOILERS*
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2003, 07:57:02 PM »
or (as I see it) more likely: they don't have breeding seasons, so they have to be really bored. why they don't get bored in those homes though...

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2003, 08:00:23 PM »
Well, we know elves like to travel. So maybe they just get stuck on a lot of business trips. But then why aren't there more half-elves like Elrond? Course, in the D&D books (and many other fantasy dime novels) half-elves and other halfbreeds easily out populate any purebreds.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2003, 08:02:55 PM »
that'd be just like dogs

But on the D&D connection: maybe all elves are gamers. ie, they don't shower, so none of them can stand each others' smell

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2003, 08:05:10 PM »
I think Tolkien describes all elves as being sweet smelling. Perhaps then they don't get to gether to keep from canibalizing one another.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2003, 08:06:38 PM »
maybe they do cannibalize each other. Particularly their children. Galadriel's dirty little secret.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2003, 08:13:11 PM »
Which brings us to the question of whether eating other intelligent species can really be considered cannibalism? I mean if orcs need to eat men to live, it's just their duty as a predatory animal.

Could someone please get a National Science Fellowship to study the mating habits of elves or the ecological systems of Middle Earth so we can get these questions answered. Then they could quit wasting their money on something normal like curing cancer and get some real research done.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2003, 01:45:23 AM »
Personally I think they "get it on" just as often as humans, but elven females only ovulate every decade or so, so it takes longer to get pregnant.

OR, you could look at this way. Elves are very precise, everything they do takes a long time. Like they spend 30 years crafting a chair. Maybe making love is a long the same lines?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2003, 01:48:27 AM »
no, I think they eat their young.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2003, 03:14:12 AM »
If elven women only have periods once every ten years, it would certainly explain why Aragorn chose Arwen over Eowyn.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:43 AM »
So between finals and a cruise I was just able to go see RotK tonight and I've got to echo everything people have said here...it was superrockariffic!  A great end to the trilogy and just so well done all around that I can't pick out one best scene.

Some interesting notes though...

1) Did anyone else think the orc general looked a little too much like Sloth from the Goonies?

2) Minas Tirith is approximately 200 yards from Osgilliath, you'd think they'd send more support :)

3) They left out my favorite scene, which makes me kinda of sad.  When Aragorn takes the Palantir and reveals himself to Sauron with a "Yeah, come get some" attitude.  That part gave me chills in the book.  Would have been nice to see Denethor's Palantir too so it doen'st appear that lordship makes one crazy in ME, as has been stated.

That's about it...

As for the Silmarillion, I finally got a chance to read it on my cruise.  I was amazed at the depth it adds to ME and I think Tolkien's love for his world really shines through.  And so many things make so much more sense...like why Sauron fears Aragorn so much.  It really was a great read.  Beren and Luthien has to be one of the best in the book though.

Now I'm curious as to where the info on Aragorn burning the corsairs is?  Unifinished Tales?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2003, 09:13:25 AM »
LoTR Appendices i think.

Tell me: how did you think the silmarrion showed why sauron fears aragorn? The tales of numeror? The bit on the last alliance?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2003, 09:15:41 AM »
LOL Dr.P (it's going to take me a bit to get use to calling you that) I just saw it tonight too.  All I can say, since I haven't read the books, is that the move never ended and that was realy annoying.  I couldn't enjoy the end of the moive (all that after the ring gets melted) becasue I was worried about being late to work.  I almost walked out early.

Oh and if they can make Gollum look so good why can't they even make CGI Legolas look decent.  I mean Jar-Jar was better GCI and blue screen then the whole elephant scene.

Stroywise I didn't care for the whole undead mountan person thing.  That totaly runined the last fight for me.  This whole thing was suppose to be the battle of man agaist the evil and they only win because of an undead horde!  where's the struggle in that?  Thanks alot Tolkin for getting lazy and writeing a crappy ending to an otherwise cool war.

Besideds those things the move was awsome.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2003, 10:20:58 AM »
whoa!!!! Perhaps you should read the books instead of criticising tolkiens writing... to condense over a thousand pages into a coherent series of movies Jackson had to jumble some stuff up.
In the books the undead thing happens way off camera and the only people they fight and destroy are the corsairs... then Aragorn Gimli and Legolas gather up all the men of the south and sail to Minas Tirith arriving just in the nick of time. The battle at the black gate is... well wow in the book, especially since pippen kills a troll single handedly.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2003, 11:46:25 AM »
1) Did anyone else think the orc general looked a little too much like Sloth from the Goonies?

That's who he looked like. I've seen the movie twice now and couldn't figure out what it reminded me of so strongly.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2003, 11:53:18 AM »
That would explain the odd war cry:  "Hey you guys!"
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.