Author Topic: Could we get some more drama, please?  (Read 6575 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Could we get some more drama, please?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 01:56:52 AM »
I'm a firm believer that paths don't just open.  You beat the door down with a sledge hammer and then the path appears.

Yes and no. I've had both happen for me. Some things are just out of our control (not saying that's this situation), and some things we are very much in control of, like pursuing our goals (though still having an element of lack of control, like whether a school accepts you or a company hires you).

I say that just to say that what I was trying to say is that if a path you've decided on isn't working, often we find (through our choice and through inspiration) a new path, which sometimes helps us get where we intended, just in a different way. At least, that's my experience. But of course it's different for every person.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 04:42:32 AM »
To agree with Stacer, it's best to avoid having an entitlement  reaction to these sort of situations. That is just because you work really hard for a specific result, doesn't mean you are entitled to that specific result, especially when those results involve other people's agency. Now often you do get the result you wanted from all of your hard work, but when that isn't the case, it's best to look for alternative outcomes.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 07:17:40 AM »
To quote FMA:

"Equivalent Exchange is just a lie used to keep the masses from rioting"

Ie, you should never expect equal gain from equal effort.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 12:14:20 PM »
Entitlement reaction?  

Wow.  

Who was having an entitlement reaction?  

I don't think I want to talk to you all anymore.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:14:58 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 12:22:33 PM »
I think you're overreacting to the response, Fish. They're just saying that you can take opportunities, but some things are out of your control, no matter what you put in.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »
I don't really care what any of you think.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »
Actually, that wasn't what I was saying at all. I was just saying that even though this didn't work out, you'll still figure it out. That's all.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 05:07:49 PM »
Yeah, I understood what you were saying.  And I agree with you.  Fully.  I was just adding to it with the sledgehammer thing.  Thanks for the support, Stacer.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:08:42 PM by MsFish »

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
For future reference, I think when someone has something crappy happen to them (ie not get into a creative writing program because the admissions committee is dumber than bricks)--and they share this crappy experience with you--they're not looking for psychoanalysis.  At least, that's not what I'm looking for when I do it.

Fish, I know what you're going through.  Nine doctoral program rejections and a severe case of "reanalyze my life and try and figure out what the hell I'm going to do now" give me a strong dose of empathy.  I honestly have no clue what BYU's thinking.  I've been in their creative writing classes.  I've read the work some of their students are spewing writing.  And I've read your stuff.

Sigh.

Ever think of library science?   ;)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 12:33:48 AM »
I personally agree with the whole sledgehammer thing. If God wants to open a window while I'm busy knocking down walls with a sledgehammer, that's fine.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 03:07:22 AM »
Exactly.  That way if he doesn't, you've got several large holes in the drywall to choose from.

And thank you, Parker.  I appreciate your empathy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:07:47 AM by MsFish »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 03:36:41 AM »
I'm really liking the imagery here. Someone might even relate it to that story (cheesy though it is, it is actually one of those spiritual twinkies that works for me) about how our trials are just God knocking down our old walls. When we protest and say that we liked our cozy little cottage, why did he have to go and knock it down? And he answers that he's remodeling it to a mansion or something.

Like I said, cheesy, but I like the idea that we're a major player in the remodeling. 'Course, that takes it in a completely different direction, I suppose.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 09:39:36 AM »
Ive been absent for a few days so the drama just seems more dramatic, but I realized I cant get worked up. MsFish, I had had and will have nothing but utmost confidence in you. You are going to go far whatever temporary setbacks you might have. Plus with an attitude like knocking big holes in the drywall you've definately got the drive to accomplish it. As long as you keep doing that, I will never worry about you. I will however pray that some nice editor realizes how good you book is and says something to the effect of "I must have it, bring me the phone number of this woman!" In a John Lovitts the Actor voice.  

Im sorry that things didnt work out the way you wanted them to though. I hope your doing ok.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!