Author Topic: Could we get some more drama, please?  (Read 6581 times)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: Could we get some more drama, please?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 05:21:06 PM »
Posted by: McFish      Posted on: Today at 12:22am
on Mar 5th, 2006, 8:49pm, stacer wrote:
But if you were to get accepted, I'd think it'd be something to think about, of course.

Except that I can't afford it.  Which means I could think about it all I want, but I still can't go.  I'm not going $50,000 into debt when I don't ever intend to use the degree to work full time.    

You can afford it, you just need to find out how. I made it out of law school with less than $50,000 worth of debt and that when I was paying $25,000 a year in tuition alone. Graduate students seem to do a lot better because they can get TA or RA positions, fellowships, scholarship and host of other help to offset the cost (although I hear that BYU isn't as good at this as other major Universities). But even if the fundign is tight, $50,000 seems like an awful lot for BYU, as I recall, they are still one of the cheapest Universities in the US. If you get accepted, I think you should take some time to figure out if it is financially possible before you cross it off (an MA can still pay off in more ways then you might think).

Anyways, I still hope you get accepted, if for no other reason then for you to have an option.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »
She's saying BYU is the only one she can afford. The other two schools are the ones she worries about affording.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 06:02:09 PM »

And???????

You did say you wanted more drama.  :P ;D

I'm accepted with the provision that I take 12 credit hours of catchup in my first year. Isn't 6 credit hours per semester full-time for grad students?

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 06:06:01 PM »
6 credits of graduate level classes.  For catch up, you'll likely be taking undergrad classes, which aren't nearly as demanding.  Still, it'll be a busy first year for you.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 09:12:25 PM »
Yeah, with undergrad classes that's barely a full time semester.

Congrats!  That makes me soooooo happy!

She's saying BYU is the only one she can afford. The other two schools are the ones she worries about affording.

Right.  I can afford BYU.  I cannot afford to live in Seattle or San Jose.  Period.

And actually, BYU is a lot better at giving grad students teaching positions than other Univeristies.  UW says there will be no assistanceships in the first year.  Which would mean 20,000 in debt on tuition alone.  For a Creative Writing degree.  No thank you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 09:15:05 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 09:22:59 AM »
Also, Lost One, you were going for a J.D.  Doctorate level grad programs give out a lot more assistance than Master level programs.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
That's not quite right 42. It is true that doctorate level programs do give out more assistance but not for professional programs such as for a JD or and MD. Law and medical students usually have to live off of loans which is why the average law student graduates with around $90,000 worth of debt and the average medical students has around $200,000. I made it through law school by getting TA positions in the political science department because there were not enough MA and Ph.D. students to fill all of the positions. It depends on the school, but many programs offer significant financial aid (real financial aid, not loans) to help out their master students.

Unfortunately, for someone in the social sciences, humanities, or english, getting grants, fellowships, scholarships, and other such aid is more difficult then if someone is in a science or engineering program (where they seem to throw money at all their graduate students).
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »
Law and medical students usually have to live off of loans which is why the average...medical student has around $200,000.

I will vouch for this. We were fortunately able to graduate with with less than half that debt because I worked full time as a tech writer, which paid enough for us to live on, plus a little extra.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 05:51:57 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »
Bottom line is:

Creative Writing Degree + Never Intending to Get a 9-5 Job = Stay out of massive debt if you know what's good for you.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »
lol. Plain and simple. Makes good sense. Really tough all the same, though, because it's such an important goal you have. So just hang in there.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 08:06:58 PM »
So I've been officially rejected.  Hooray for me.  

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 08:46:53 PM »
Argh! I'm so sorry to hear that, Fish. :(
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 09:28:47 PM »
That's too bad, MsFish. I'm sure that a path will open for you, though. You'll figure it out.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 11:56:12 PM »
I'm a firm believer that paths don't just open.  You beat the door down with a sledge hammer and then the path appears.  

Thanks for the support, though.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 12:11:59 AM »
If you want, I have a sledgehammer you could borrow.  :)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus