Author Topic: Eva Director's Cut  (Read 3939 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Eva Director's Cut
« on: February 26, 2004, 11:02:36 PM »
First off, it's kind of old news.

Secondly, you can already get the scripts off www.evaotaku.com. They've been there for a while.

Thirdly, it will make sense just like the rest of Eva did. (Which it did. It's not that complex). Don't get me started.

Fourthly, I will have to buy it immediately, even though i just bought the original DVDs.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Eva Director's Cut
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 11:16:46 PM »
JP, I want you to know that it's not complimentary when I compare you to the first two panels of this comic strip.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 11:35:02 PM »
Well it is old news! I'm just wondering why a press realese is being published after I saw the same press release about a month ago.  And the script link is for anyone who wants to know what's new in them.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 11:57:58 PM »
it wasn't just that, it was the whole snobbish: "you must not be capable of understanding, it was fairly simple" method of discounting disagreement that  hadn't been brought up and wasn't relevant to what had been discussed.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 01:55:37 AM »
That was in response to the blurb comment on the front page about it not making sense. I think it does. I said don't get me started because I *am* elitest when I talk about Eva, and I don't want to start a flame war.  (Mainly because I agree it can be confusing, it took me about four years to get it.) So it had been brought up.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 02:15:25 AM »
If it took you four years to get it--and you're a fan--how exactly can you claim that it's "not that complex"?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 02:37:19 AM »
Ok, it is that complex. I rephrase:

It can make sense, if you are willing to try and make sense out of it.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 02:43:20 AM »
Ah.  Yes, I think you're right.  I'm not an expert (Tage is the Eva junkie,) but the explanations I've heard have been very interesting.  Apparently, the series has a very clever, mythologically-grounded core.  The director just didn't feel the need to give many internal explanations of what was going on.  Personally, I liked his balance right up until the end, where it became incomprehensible without external sources of explanation.

It's kind of like the Penny Arcade comics--brilliant, as long as you already know what is going on.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 02:57:33 AM »
I don't think you need external explanation to get the end.  What you do need, if you don't have that though, is a very, very good understanding of classical music, Christian and Jewish mythology (No offence intended; I'm not suggesting any belief is or is not correct) and also a knowledge if Qabalism. In addition, you need to know Japanese culture, various types of philosophy, Freadian psychology, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm missing. If you understand all that, you could puzzle it out yourself.

That said, once I knew what was going on, and watched it again, there are so many lines that explain what was going on that I can't believe I missed. The trouble is, it's not explicit that it's explaining things.

The beauty though, is how the series melds all of this together on many layers. I prefer to consider everything a metaphor, and focus on the series as a discussion of lonliness and human nature, and a comment of the difficulty of growing up in modern society, but that's just one reading. (The freadian reading, particular, is kind of fun...)

Of course, the average Anime fan is into Dragonball Z. So it's kind of above their heads.

Ok, I'm going to stop now. I said not to get me started. I write essays on the series in my spare time, you see, so I think you'd all be best off if I just shut up.  If anyone does want any part of the series explained though, ask me. :)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 07:29:22 AM »
write the essays for TWG and I'll bet we publish some of them.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 08:23:21 AM »
Well, I've only really done one (had some ideas for some others) and I need to edit that, but if you're interested in publishing them, I might actually start up again. (The one I wrote is about the character Keel, and his motivations, We hardly see the character, yet he affects the plot more than anyone).

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »
See, call me a heretic, but if i have to spend 4 years thinking about something to begin enjoying it, then i begin to suspect its actually a pile of dog poo. The 4 years are spent persuading yourself that it was good.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 08:52:08 AM »
i've never seen it, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

It does seem more academic than most of our stuff. But the RPG as modern myth article, as well as a couple of articles by KK were academic. I'm not the guy in charge, but I don't see why we WOULDN'T be interested.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 09:28:16 AM »
It didn't take me four years to enjoy, just to understand. I enjoyed it from the first time I saw it. I just didn't have much understanding on what was going on. (partly beacuse I started with the fifth episode.)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 03:55:07 PM »

If you understand all that, you could puzzle it out yourself.

I realize you're being a bit ironic here, but I'm going to take the 'you don't need an explanation' line at face value.  While I do think Eva is brilliant, I just don't think it can be puzzled out--no matter what you know.  The problem being that the last couple episodes happen inside the mind of the main character, who has at that point gone insane.  I'm sorry, but it just gets unintelligible near there.