Author Topic: Appleseed  (Read 1400 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Appleseed
« on: April 10, 2004, 05:14:53 PM »
http://a1410.g.akamai.net/7/1410/1437/20040323/www.apple.com/jpred/quicktime/trailers/appleseed_large.mov

Hmmm, seems like another weird Japanese anime. Except it's explicitly cgi and maybe cel shading. It seems really high tech.

Soundtrack sounds good though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 05:17:15 PM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Appleseed
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 06:58:17 PM »
Well, you can definitely tell its anime. No other genre (though anime is really too big to be a genre but nm) has such a blatent mix of stuff.

The soundtrack is from a song a few years old. Can't remember its name now.

It looks interesting, though there is a wild deviance in the style and quality of the art, which could make for very jarring imagery. And hey - explosions!

If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 10:01:13 PM »
Don't have my laptop at work so I can't see the trailer.  Appleseed is a old anime (late 80's early 90's), and a subpar one at that (at least I thought so).  They'd have to rework a lot of it of to get me to watch the new one.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 08:52:07 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't APPLESEED a comic by the same guy who wrote GHOST IN THE SHELL?  I seem to recall that the anime had the same problem as many 80's animes (AKIRA included) in that it was a representation of a storyline somewhere in the middle of the comic, and didn't contain any backstory or frame of reference.  You were expected to have read the comic to understand what was going on.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 09:13:51 PM »
ya it was original a Manga, not sure on the author but it could be the same that did Ghost in the shell.  He's done a lot.

The reason I didn't like the anime was, well the story wasn't very good.  I'm sure the translation had something to do with it.  Also as EUOL mentioned it's just a segment of a whole story, but about half of all anime movies are that way.  And there are a lot that are done good.  I think I have my VHS tape of the original one laying around here.

And Gemm's right, that's Cell shaded CG for the characters.

But speaking of Ghost in the Shell, they made a TV series out of it in Japan that started only about a year ago.  And it's comming out on video in June, I think, here.  Also Yokko Kano (Coyboy Bebop, macross plus) is doing the soundtrack.  Fun, Fun.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.