Author Topic: yet another Buffy thread  (Read 3294 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
yet another Buffy thread
« on: April 11, 2004, 07:51:57 PM »
Okay, here's the deal:  I had NEVER watched Buffy before.  It always looked juvenile and fluff-headed to me.  Yet, I've had dozens of friends telling me that I HAD to watch the damn thing.  So anyway, my birthday was 2 weeks ago and a friend bought me the first season on DVD, telling me that now I had no excuse not to watch it.  After just leaving the still sealed box on top of my television for a few days, where it mocked me with it's silence, until I finally ripped the seal and put in the first disc.  Over the next few days we watched the entire first series.

Surprise!  It was actually pretty good.

Some of the episodes were pretty cheesy, but the first two and last two really stood out as being very well done.  While I personally found Buffy herself to be pretty bland and I just thought Xander to be amongst  the most annoying television characters ever, I found myself really liking Willow, Giles, and Cordelia.  

I plan to eventually pick up the second season.  Since the series has ended and I know there are going to be a finite number of DVD sets, I don't feel pressured to commit to a DVD library of Star Trekian proportions.

"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: yet another Buffy thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 09:11:55 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by Xander.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 09:32:03 PM »
Xander is okay, Willow is great at the start but becomes really annoying at the end of the series. Cordelia is great, too bad they killed her off.

However, I would have to say the best character in the series is Spike
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 12:16:54 AM »
ummm...  keep in mind that I have only JUST started watching the show and started learning about the characters.  I really could have done without knowing that one of my favorite characters is going to get killed.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 12:29:10 AM »
Oh, all the characters die at least once or twice during the series.

Cordelia's character actually moves over to Angel after the third season. Which is kind of confusing if you just watch Buffy, because they don't say anyhting about it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 04:29:08 AM »
Enter 42: king of spoliers.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 01:25:13 PM »
Buffy is good, until after season 3, where it starts to go weird. So I suggest renting season 4-6/7 rather than buying them.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 02:01:49 PM »
Enter 42: king of spoliers.

Trust me, there are much bigger spoils to give away. Like when...

I liked season 5, but I would say that I think season 3 is the best season.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 05:53:21 PM »
Cordelia shows up as a regular in Angel?  Great; now I will have to buy all of Angel, too.  

:)

Just the same, I'm glad she comes back.  Joss Wheadon really knew what he was doing when he came up with this series.  Too bad he made a 180 degree turn with that Firefly nonsense.

And what is this I hear about an all-musical episode?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 06:09:03 PM »
The All musical episode is the best buffy episode ever...
And Respectfully I would have to disagree about Firefly.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 06:37:05 PM »
The musical episode is in season 6 which balances out the silent episode in season 4.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 08:24:24 PM »
I wouldn't say that Firefly was a complete turnaround, just that it wasn't given enough time to develop into a strong series.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 09:51:35 PM »
Respectfully, I know a lot of people on this board disagree with Slant about Firefly.

Slant, even if you don't mean to, if you keep insulting things I love, you're going to quickly become the person on the board I hold a personal vendetta against.

Just a super-friendly, mostly-kidding warning.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 09:54:38 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 10:18:38 PM »
Okay, let me say it another way:

I'm not saying that Firefly was a terrible excuse for Sci Fi.  It probably wasn't.  What I'm saying is that I personally didn't like it.  I speak for nobody but myself and I make no outside generalizations.  All I'm saying is that I didn't care for it.

Now, if you all really want to make fun of ME, I will freely admit to owning a DVD of the godawful film Showgirls.  Its just the whole good stripper vs. evil stripper thing that I find so ludicrously funny in a sick, sad way.

But I still found Firefly boring.

And on a sci-fi note, I actually enjoyed what has got to be the WORST sci-fi show ever: Homeboys In Outer Space.  I'm not making this up: it was actually  a real show.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 10:21:22 PM »
So, Slant, you are saying that we should all be concerned about your taste in entertainment.