Author Topic: The Cinderella complex  (Read 1160 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
The Cinderella complex
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:21:43 AM »
Interesting article.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2099412/

I don't know that I agree. Why can't it just be that feminism is realizing that strong women can also let men into their lives and find fulfillment in that part of their lives as well as their professional and political lives? Or that it is not lesser somehow if a woman chooses to stay at home and raise her children?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 09:22:19 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: The Cinderella complex
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 09:53:07 AM »
Because men are Eeeeeeevil.  Or something.  Yeah, I never got that part of feminism.   It's just a bunch of crap made up by bitter women who can't get along with a man long enough to find love.  Men need women, and women need men.

I don't know what they think they're proving though, because the general public LIKES it that way.  Nobody wants to watch a movie that ends with the girl being alone and strong and happy with her life.   Nobody would enjoy an ending like that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 09:54:27 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 10:31:54 AM »
on the contrary, Henrik Ibsen ended his plays with the woman leaving the man to become a whole person, and he's one of the great writers of northern europe

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 11:50:06 AM »
yeah but he's a foreigner and so not a real person in his own right.  ;D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »
I think the key on that one, fuzzy, is that these women the feminists try to emulate are too self-involved to have a healthy relationship with someone else.

Indeed, the responsibility of each woman is to bolster her man's ego and improve his public image. When Eddie and Char express doubt and fear about becoming king, Paige and Ella inspire their princes with an obligatory adoring pep talk, providing them with the confidence to ascend the throne.

. . .

we witness Paige's transformation from independent young woman, worthy of praise in her own right, to caretaker, supporter, muse, and moral compass for her husband.

That's all they see, but they're assuming that is all that they do. Men are not so helpless that "wife" is a full time job. I haven't seen either movie, but one of the things I think somebody is missing is that the giving and sacrifice is reciprical (at least it is in a healthy relationship). Men can also serve their loved one as caretaker, supporter, muse, and moral compass.

it's clear that she'll make some significant sacrifices to be with him--just later, rather than sooner.

Obviously. That's what a healthy relationship is about, making sacrifices to promote the other person's happiness. It goes both ways.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:32:21 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 07:36:48 PM »
on the contrary, Henrik Ibsen ended his plays with the woman leaving the man to become a whole person, and he's one of the great writers of northern europe

Literature doesn't count.  I'm talking about modern-day movies that aren't supposed to be tragic.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 01:12:54 AM »
I thought it was interesting that she said the woman changed from "a person worthy of praise" into a "comforter and supporter." I guess if you start off with the assumption that comforting and supporting aren't worthy of praise, you're going to end up with a pretty skewed view.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net